Posts Tagged ‘Smithfield Foods’
Premises Liability - Friday, April 30, 2010 15:43 - 0 Comments
A Jackson County, Missouri jury awarded $11 million today to neighboring farmers who sued a factory farm operation saying hog odors were so bad they couldn’t go outside. The jury returned the verdict against industrial hog producers Premium Standard Farms, Inc. (“Premium Standard”), a subsidiary of Smithfield Foods SFD, and the privately held ContiGroup Companies. The verdict, covering 11 years of damages, is the largest monetary award against a hog farm in an odor nuisance case. The Middleton Firm, Seeger Weiss LLP and the Speer Law Firm represented the seven households, who filed their case in 2002. Plaintiffs, some of whom have owned their farms for well over 100 years and spanning five generations, alleged that relentless and extreme odors emanating from Defendants’ finishing farm – known as concentrated animal feeding operations, or CAFOs – created an unreasonable nuisance.
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- Favorite Bible Verses
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- J&J Pays Oregon $4 Million To Settle Hip Implant Marketing Claims
- EPA Should Update Fracking Pollution Regulations
- Deepwater Fracking Raises Environmental Concerns
- $27.8 Million Settlement Finalized In TVA Coal Ash Spill
- Illinois Transport Company Settles Fatal Crash Suit For $2.7 Million
- Settlement For Family Of College Student Killed In Crash After Alabama National Championship Game
- Macy’s Fined $1 Million For Decapitation Of Warehouse Employee
- Texas Plastics Plant Fined $174,000 For Safety And Health Violations
- OSHA Says Safety Violation Continue At Oklahoma Oil Refinery
- Company Cited In Fatal West Virginia Cell Tower Collapse
- New Safety Directive Issued By OSHA On Communication Tower Work
- $27 Million Verdict Returned In Texas Against McDonald’s
- I received a letter from MetLife saying I am a beneficiary of 2 life insurance p...
- My 2006 Ford F150 Supercrew drivers side window regulator does not go down or up...
- i really appreciate the reports and always take the time to read agood portion o...
- We are original owners of a 2004 F150 Supercrew. We last replaced both front wi...
- My 2004 f250 6 litre diesel started to smell like antifreeze when you would pull...
- I have major water damage from them defective shingles. Ceiling is falling in. T...
- Hi also wondering about this lawsuit. I worked for DG for 6 years almost 3 as a ...
- I was an employee since 2002. I was fired on July31, 2014. I knew for almost 2 y...