Posts Tagged ‘recall’
Liability, Personal Injury, Product Liability - Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:56 - 0 Comments
A federal court jury in Kentucky has awarded 11-year-old Breanna Sadler and her parents $7.24 million in damages after an improperly manufactured cochlear implant – a surgically implanted medical device that allows profoundly deaf individuals to hear sounds – severely shocked her and caused her to have violent convulsions. The verdict included $994,000.00 in compensatory damages and $6.2 million in punitive damages. The jury found that Advanced Bionics knowingly sold the defective cochlear implant to be used in Breanna’s surgery when she was only 4 years old.
After the child was shocked two more times, the device had to be removed from her skull and replaced with a competitor’s model in an open-head surgery that took more than seven hours. Breanna’s parents sued the manufacturer, Advance Bionics of Valencia, Calif., accusing the company of continuing to sell the device after executives knew it was defective. About 4,000 of the devices have been implanted worldwide, and about 1,000 have failed.
Evidence at trial showed that the company was aware as early as 2004 that moisture was accumulating in the devices at an alarming rate, yet they took very few meaningful steps toward resolving the problems and warning the public of the potential dangers. Dr. Mark Severtson, the Louisville surgeon who implanted the device in Breanna, testified that he never would have done so if he had known about the defect.
The company announced a voluntary recall of its HiRes 90K device in February 2006, about six weeks after Breanna got her implant. In 2008 it paid a $1.1 million civil penalty to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to settle allegations it failed to notify the agency that it was using a new supplier for one of the implant’s components, which the FDA said exposed patients to “unnecessary health risks.” The company’s then-CEO, Jeffrey Greiner, agreed to pay an additional $75,000.
The device used in Breanna’s surgery was later tested and found to have moisture levels 60 times greater than the acceptable limits. The company was also cited by the FDA for using unapproved component suppliers for the implants and was fined $1.8 million as a result in 2008.
Ron Johnson of Schachter, Hendy & Johnson in Covington, Ky. and Tim Edwards and Ed Wallis from Glassman, Edwards, Wyatt, Tuttle & Cox, located in Memphis, Tenn., were the lawyers representing the plaintiffs. They did a very good job for the Sadler family.
Source: Courier-Journal News
- Women’s Shoes Recalled By Impo International Due To Fall Hazard
- The Pampered Chef Recalls Garlic Slicers Due To Laceration Hazard
- Toys R Us Recalls Imaginarium Activity Walker Due To Choking Hazard
- U.S. Divers Recalls Youth Snorkeling Mask Sets Due To Laceration Hazard
- Soft Air USA Recalls Swiss Arms Air Rifle Due To Injury Hazard
- LifeScan Announces Voluntary Recall Of All OneTouch Verio IQ Blood Glucose Meters
- LED Light Bulbs Recalled By Lighting Science Group
- Disco Lights Recalled By Tween Brands Due To Electrical Shock Hazard
- Dynacraft Recalls Monster High City Motor Scooters Due To Fall Hazard
- Liberty Mountain Recalls Mountain Climbing Lanyards Due To Risk Of Serious Injury
- Yuba Bicycles Recalls Mundo Cargo Bikes
- Subaru Has Recalled 47,000 Cars Because Engines Can Start On Their Own
- Porsche Recalls More Than 2,000 Carrera Sports Cars
- Nissan Recalls Five Models Over Air Bags
- American Honda Recalls Vehicles
- A Million GM Midsize Cars Could Be Added To Recall
- Jury Tells Johnson & Johnson To Pay $8.3 Million Over Defective Hip Replacement
- GM Recalling 12,800 Vehicles for Suspension and Air Bag Problems
- Millions of Recalled Cars are Sold Without Needed Repairs
- Jere Beasley Report, April 2013
- Alabama to Receive $1,039,078 in Multi-State Settlement
- COSTCO Recalls Gold Coast Crab Dip
- Major Banks Assist In Payday Loans Banned By States
- Marc McHenry Hired As Investigator
- We Have Allowed A Culture Of Violence To Be Created In The U.S.
- Parting Words
- Closing Observations
- Favorite Bible Verses
- WSFA News Defenders Interviews
- Beasley Allen Hosts The Child Safety Helmet Giveaway
- SPLC Looks At How Payday And Title Loans Prey On Alabama’s Poorest
- Employee Spotlights
- Natura Pet Expands Recall Of Dry Pet Foods
- Winn-Dixie Recalls Organic Apple Juice On Mold Fears
- Manda Packing Recalling 468,000 Pounds Of Meat
- Carter’s Recalls Infant Clothings With Zippers Due To Choking Hazard
- I want to be involved in this lawsuit. I was a 3rd key making $8.25 per hour wi...
- Great to find a site like this that informs us of what our tax dollars are payin...
- can you please emaik me a copy of your article on april 16th wells fargo suid f...
- ALL OF THESE STORIES ARE SIMILAR AND ALMOAT THE SAME IN TIME FRAMES. FOR TWO YEA...
- they tried forexloaing on my home with a fraudulent note. how do I know that? I ...
- Yes, Sharon, we were aware of the button... however, it didn't work. Took it to...
- When would we get paid?...
- Would like to know how much longer will it be before we get paid....