Posts Tagged ‘Frank Woodson’
Mass Torts Update - Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:09 - 0 Comments
Following concerns that it hid important clinical data on Avandia, drug maker GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) has now agreed to share more clinical data. GSK was recently fined for withholding safety data about the risk of Avandia side effects from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The FDA has severely restricted the uses for Avandia, and GSK has faced hundreds of Avandia lawsuits. In July 2012, the drug company agreed to pay $3 billion in criminal and civil fines following allegations the company did not give the FDA important safety information about Avandia, including information concerning the risk of heart problems linked to the drug. The settlement also covered allegations concerning the off-label marketing of Paxil and Wellbutrin.
Of the $3 billion, $1 billion was paid for criminal fines and forfeitures, and $2 billion was to settle state and federal allegations. GlaxoSmithKline had information from its own trials that indicated Avandia was linked to an increased risk of heart attack, but that data was never reported. It was not until Dr. Steven Nissen, a noted cardiologist, published his study in the New England Journal of Medicine – based on information from GlaxoSmithKline trials – that the increased risk of heart problems linked to Avandia became public.
In 2010, the FDA voted to restrict the use of Avandia, severely limiting when and how doctors can prescribe the medication. Following that, sales of Avandia dropped significantly as patients switched to a rival drug, Actos. GlaxoSmithKline also faced lawsuits alleging the company failed to adequately warn patients and doctors about the risks associated with Avandia. In 2010, GlaxoSmithKline reportedly agreed to settle lawsuits involving almost 700 Plaintiffs, who alleged the drug maker hid the risks of Avandia from the public and from the medical community. In October 2012, GlaxoSmithKline announced it would make more of its drug research available in an attempt to increase transparency. That move will include releasing information about experimental drugs. The company said it will have a panel of experts review requests for information sent by researchers and, if approved, data will be made available. Drug companies run trials on their drugs and gather a great deal of research, but most of that data is never made public, or is made public in a way that highlights positive results and downplays negative results.
- Stevens Johnson Syndrome Is A Most Serious Problem
- Frank Woodson
- The Department Of Justice Must Control Pain Pump Manufacturers
- Concerns Over Metal On Metal Hip Implants
- A Recent Shoulder Pain Pump Verdict
- An MDL For Shoulder Pain Pump Litigation Should Be Formed
- More lawsuits involving Vytorin are being filed
- Avandia may now be pulled from the Market
- Lawsuits involving the heart surgery drug Trasylol being filed
- Fentanyl Pain Patch verdict in Florida
- Frank Woodson
- Our firm has a Chantix website
- Mass Tort Update
- Stevens Johnson Syndrome Awareness Month
- Cases Against Bayer CropScience Consolidated in St.Louis Federal Court
- FDA Alert Relating to Shelhigh Medical Products
- An Update on Ortho Evra Litigation
- Jere Beasley Report, April 2013
- Marc McHenry Hired As Investigator
- Alabama to Receive $1,039,078 in Multi-State Settlement
- COSTCO Recalls Gold Coast Crab Dip
- Major Banks Assist In Payday Loans Banned By States
- We Have Allowed A Culture Of Violence To Be Created In The U.S.
- Parting Words
- Closing Observations
- Favorite Bible Verses
- WSFA News Defenders Interviews
- Beasley Allen Hosts The Child Safety Helmet Giveaway
- SPLC Looks At How Payday And Title Loans Prey On Alabama’s Poorest
- Employee Spotlights
- Natura Pet Expands Recall Of Dry Pet Foods
- Winn-Dixie Recalls Organic Apple Juice On Mold Fears
- Manda Packing Recalling 468,000 Pounds Of Meat
- Carter’s Recalls Infant Clothings With Zippers Due To Choking Hazard
- I am shocked to see what I am reading - but not surprised. I installed Certain...
- I work as a store manager and i work 60 to ninety hours a weeks please tell me s...
- I wondered why i couldn't find him on the DPS website.
Tell Marc to contact me...
- I want to be involved in this lawsuit. I was a 3rd key making $8.25 per hour wi...
- Great to find a site like this that informs us of what our tax dollars are payin...
- can you please emaik me a copy of your article on april 16th wells fargo suid f...
- ALL OF THESE STORIES ARE SIMILAR AND ALMOAT THE SAME IN TIME FRAMES. FOR TWO YEA...
- they tried forexloaing on my home with a fraudulent note. how do I know that? I ...