Posts Tagged ‘Frank Woodson’
Mass Torts Update - Monday, October 7, 2013 10:03 - 0 Comments
Of all medications currently being sold in the United States, Lipitor is one of the most commonly used brand-name medications. This cholesterol lowering statin medication had generated an estimated $125 billion in sales for Pfizer before the drug became available as a generic in 2011. The medication has been heavily promoted in direct-to-consumer advertising campaigns, encouraging patients to speak to their doctors about whether they need to be placed on Lipitor to maintain their health. The advertisements were directed to the public, including women who did not have many risk factors for heart disease and were not at high risk of a cardiac event. Thus, women really received no long-term benefit from taking the drug.
According to several lawsuits filed in 2013, Pfizer knew or reasonably should have known in 1997 that there was a connection between Lipitor and diabetes before the drug was even placed on the market. However, there was no warning added to the label until February 2012. This was after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) Division of Metabolism and Endocrinology Products requested that a warning be provided for consumers and the medical community. Even then, the warning never actually mentioned Type 2 diabetes, stating instead: “Increases in HbA1c and fasting serum glucose levels have been reported with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, including LIPITOR.”
It’s alleged in the lawsuits that until the February 2012 label change, Lipitor’s label never warned patients of any potential relation between changes in blood sugar levels and taking Lipitor. Lawsuits further allege that despite the February 2012 label change, Lipitor’s label continues to fail to warn consumers of the serious risk of developing Type 2 diabetes when using Lipitor. Frank Woodson, a lawyer in our firm’s Mass Torts Section, is investigating Lipitor claims and can be reached at 800-898-2034 or by email at Frank.Woodson@beasleyallen.com.
Source: About Lawsuits website
- Granuflo Litigation Heating Up
- Study Suggests Lipitor Increases Risk of Diabetes
- Frank Woodson Appointed to PSC in the GranuFlo MDL
- Does Lipitor Cause Diabetes?
- GlaxoSmithKline Agrees To Share Avandia Information
- Stevens Johnson Syndrome Is A Most Serious Problem
- Frank Woodson
- The Department Of Justice Must Control Pain Pump Manufacturers
- Concerns Over Metal On Metal Hip Implants
- A Recent Shoulder Pain Pump Verdict
- An MDL For Shoulder Pain Pump Litigation Should Be Formed
- More lawsuits involving Vytorin are being filed
- Avandia may now be pulled from the Market
- Lawsuits involving the heart surgery drug Trasylol being filed
- Fentanyl Pain Patch verdict in Florida
- Frank Woodson
- Our firm has a Chantix website
- Mass Tort Update
- Stevens Johnson Syndrome Awareness Month
- We Should Not Be Surprised By How Low BP Will Go To Get Its Way
- An Update on the ASR Hip Litigation
- 2013 Was a Banner Year for Whistleblower Cases
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Jere Beasley Report, February 2014
- An Update on the Actos Trial
- Five AndroGel Lawsuits Filed Against Abbott
- Efforts Underway to Enact Uniform Data Security Law
- Kentucky Addiction Clinic Settles False Claims Act Allegations for $15.75 Million
- GM Knew Of Cobalt Ignition Problem
- BP Oil Spill Medical Settlement Moves Forward
- Parting Words
- Monthly Reminders
- A Message From Dr. Sidney M. Wolfe For The American People
- Museum Of Alabama Has Its Grand Opening
- A Big Win In Daytona
- Please check out our GM Recall Survivors page on Facebook....
- the machine was not the cause . th cause is the consumer not reading the manual ...
- ... Sorry, TYPO! 'NOW," as of March 4, 2014, I am not hearing a knocking undern...
- I purchased a 2010 HHR in September of 2011 in order to transport my elderly par...
- KEITH COOK THESE NEW CARS DON'T HAVE POWER STEERING FLUID ITS DONE BY COMPUTER...
- YES i OWN A 2009 HHR YES THE KEY GOT STUCK THEY SAID IT WAS A BATTER IN THE K...
- I just got a call from my wife and our 2007 HHR has had the "Power Steering" pro...
- As a long-time general practice lawyer who constantly tries to educate the publ...