Posts Tagged ‘Boeing’
The National Scene - Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:42 - 0 Comments
The World Trade Organization ruled last month that Boeing received more than $5 billion in illegal government subsidies, much less than the amount received by European arch-rival Airbus. Interestingly, the world trade body’s appeals panel has now ruled on both sides of the dispute. It had earlier determined that the European Union subsidies to Airbus – based in Toulouse, France – totaled some $18 billion over more than a quarter-century.
Perhaps, the latest ruling will bring to an end the long-running transatlantic trade battle between the world’s foremost commercial aircraft makers over a market believed to be worth more than $3 trillion over the next two decades. As is usually the case, both sides claimed a measure of victory. The European Commission, whose complaint to the WTO was the subject of the ruling, said it welcomed the confirmation that Chicago-based Boeing also received billions of dollars in illegal subsidies between 1989 and 2006.
A WTO appeals panel had ruled last May on a U.S. complaint that European governments provided $18 billion in subsidies to Airbus that hurt Boeing, even though not all of them were illegal under international rules. EU Trade Commissioner Karel De Gucht called this most recent ruling vindication of the “EU’s long-held claims that Boeing has received massive U.S. government handouts in the past and continues to do so today.”
But his counterpart, U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk, called the ruling “a tremendous victory for American manufacturers and workers.” He noted the WTO appeals panel had determined that the support from the United States for Boeing was “far below” the amount of EU help for Airbus. He said the disproportionate nature of the U.S. versus European handouts were further illustrated by the appeals panel’s finding that U.S. subsidies to Boeing cost Airbus 118 lost aircraft sales, while EU subsidies for Airbus cost Boeing 342 lost aircraft sales.
Source: Associated Press
- $3.3 Million Verdict Against TRW In Faulty Air Bag Lawsuit
- Deepwater Horizon Economic Settlement Program Trying to Make Up for Lost Time
- An Explanation of How Beasley Allen is Structured
- The Eighth Annual Beasley Allen Legal Conference
- More On Ionization Smoke Detectors
- NHTSA Considers Vehicle Electronics Rule
- Continental Recalls 170,000 Defective Motorcycle Tires
- Virginia Woman Paralyzed In Miata Car Crash Awarded $20 Million
- Bessemer Jury Returns $9.9 Million Verdict In Mazda Fire Case
- Defrauding The Military Is All Too Common
- JPMorgan Fined $78 Million By The European Commission
- $28 Million Verdict Upheld In Wyoming Carbon Monoxide Case
- Judge Vance Lifts Temporary Restraining Order Preventing Publication Of Alagasco Documents
- I worked for DG for 13 years, I left because I worked 104 hours a week for 2 mon...
- HI, just want to notify you of a change of address.
- Same thing happened too my 17 yr old in an 08 kia rio...
- I too was scammed by Flagstar Bank. I tried to get a modification on my mortgag...
- I have a 2004 F-150 XLT which I purchased new in Jan. 2004. The truck has only ...
- Deuy lawsuit. I have been reading , on internet, that lawsuits filed after Augu...
- Had to contact and comment on the MTD log splitter recall. There should be a sta...
- A couple month ago, 2010 Cobalt had ignition switch & keys replace per recal...