Posts Tagged ‘Boeing’
The National Scene - Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:42 - 0 Comments
The World Trade Organization ruled last month that Boeing received more than $5 billion in illegal government subsidies, much less than the amount received by European arch-rival Airbus. Interestingly, the world trade body’s appeals panel has now ruled on both sides of the dispute. It had earlier determined that the European Union subsidies to Airbus – based in Toulouse, France – totaled some $18 billion over more than a quarter-century.
Perhaps, the latest ruling will bring to an end the long-running transatlantic trade battle between the world’s foremost commercial aircraft makers over a market believed to be worth more than $3 trillion over the next two decades. As is usually the case, both sides claimed a measure of victory. The European Commission, whose complaint to the WTO was the subject of the ruling, said it welcomed the confirmation that Chicago-based Boeing also received billions of dollars in illegal subsidies between 1989 and 2006.
A WTO appeals panel had ruled last May on a U.S. complaint that European governments provided $18 billion in subsidies to Airbus that hurt Boeing, even though not all of them were illegal under international rules. EU Trade Commissioner Karel De Gucht called this most recent ruling vindication of the “EU’s long-held claims that Boeing has received massive U.S. government handouts in the past and continues to do so today.”
But his counterpart, U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk, called the ruling “a tremendous victory for American manufacturers and workers.” He noted the WTO appeals panel had determined that the support from the United States for Boeing was “far below” the amount of EU help for Airbus. He said the disproportionate nature of the U.S. versus European handouts were further illustrated by the appeals panel’s finding that U.S. subsidies to Boeing cost Airbus 118 lost aircraft sales, while EU subsidies for Airbus cost Boeing 342 lost aircraft sales.
Source: Associated Press
- The Role of a Trial Lawyer
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Sandy Hook Families File Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- GM Recalls Vehicles For Headlight Problem
- Daiichi Sankyo Agrees to Pay $39 Million to Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit
- Aging and Dangerous Tires On Our School Buses
- District Court Sanctions Ghostwriting Of Expert Reports
- The Selma March
- Class Action Sought For Toyota's Electric Power Steering Defect
- Class Action Sought For Toyota’s Electric Power Steering Defect
- The Safety Institute Announces Quarterly Vehicle Safety Watch List
- Automakers Hire Rocket Science Company To Find Cause Of Exploding Air Bags
- Takata Must Preserve Recalled Air Bag Evidence
- President Obama Now Says He Wants To Reverse Citizens United
- Drug Companies Outsourcing Safety Monitoring To Cut Costs
- FTC’s Provigil Pay-For-Delay Suit Passes Actavis Test
- S&P Pays $1.4 Billion In Settlement With DOJ For Inflating Ratings Before 2008 Mortgage Crisis
- High Court Rules That It Is Unfair For Dentists To Limit Teeth-Bleaching Providers
- Governor Robert Bentley Steps Up To The Plate
- BP Claims That Deepwater Claims Administrator Has Conflict
- I have a 2004 f150 crew cab front passenger window is up and won't come down so...
- I have a 2004 E350 6.0 diesel that I bought from a company called Sports mobile ...
- my tel # 340-220-3215 I wanted to know if you handled Plavix lawsuits fro...
- my claim # is UJT-10383314601 236605 no claim form attached to the notice i rec...
- We have a 2005 excursion 4x4 6.0 limited. Since buying a couple of years ago wit...
- Our 2003 Ford Windstar had a dealer installed patch put on the rear axle a coupl...
- HAVE A 2010 MAZDA RX7 TURBO 32000 MILES ON IT HAD TO HAVE THE ENGINE AND TURBO ...
- am I being represented in this settlement?who is Virginia lawyer?how can I conta...