Posts Tagged ‘Boeing’
The National Scene - Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:42 - 0 Comments
The World Trade Organization ruled last month that Boeing received more than $5 billion in illegal government subsidies, much less than the amount received by European arch-rival Airbus. Interestingly, the world trade body’s appeals panel has now ruled on both sides of the dispute. It had earlier determined that the European Union subsidies to Airbus – based in Toulouse, France – totaled some $18 billion over more than a quarter-century.
Perhaps, the latest ruling will bring to an end the long-running transatlantic trade battle between the world’s foremost commercial aircraft makers over a market believed to be worth more than $3 trillion over the next two decades. As is usually the case, both sides claimed a measure of victory. The European Commission, whose complaint to the WTO was the subject of the ruling, said it welcomed the confirmation that Chicago-based Boeing also received billions of dollars in illegal subsidies between 1989 and 2006.
A WTO appeals panel had ruled last May on a U.S. complaint that European governments provided $18 billion in subsidies to Airbus that hurt Boeing, even though not all of them were illegal under international rules. EU Trade Commissioner Karel De Gucht called this most recent ruling vindication of the “EU’s long-held claims that Boeing has received massive U.S. government handouts in the past and continues to do so today.”
But his counterpart, U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk, called the ruling “a tremendous victory for American manufacturers and workers.” He noted the WTO appeals panel had determined that the support from the United States for Boeing was “far below” the amount of EU help for Airbus. He said the disproportionate nature of the U.S. versus European handouts were further illustrated by the appeals panel’s finding that U.S. subsidies to Boeing cost Airbus 118 lost aircraft sales, while EU subsidies for Airbus cost Boeing 342 lost aircraft sales.
Source: Associated Press
- The Selma March
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Daiichi Sankyo Agrees to Pay $39 Million to Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit
- Aging and Dangerous Tires On Our School Buses
- District Court Sanctions Ghostwriting Of Expert Reports
- Cosco Recalls Convertible Hand Trucks Due To Injury Hazard
- Class Action Sought For Toyota's Electric Power Steering Defect
- The Melton Case Settles
- Is Jeep's Fire Hazard Equivalent to GM's Ignition Switch Defect?
- A $24 Million Verdict in an Alabama Balcony Collapse Case
- Honda Adds 105,000 Vehicles To Its U.S. Recall
- The Takata Airbag Saga Continues To Expand
- Investors Have Sued GM Directors Over The Faulty Ignitions
- “New GM” Ignition MDL Claims Now Under Home States’ Laws
- Judge In GM Ignition Switch MDL Urges Settlement Talks
- U.S. Supreme Court Reverses Alabama Redistricting Ruling
- The Lasting Effects Of Bloody Sunday
- Ford Recalls 221,000 Police Vehicles, Ambulances And Hearses
- Kia Recalls 209,000 Soul Vehicles For Accelerator Defect
- NHTSA Investigates Nissan Air Bag Fix As Complaints Increase
- Nissan Recalls 640,000 Altima Sedans
- The Amarillo Texas Smelter which operated from 1899 to current as a refinery has...
- Do NOT disconnect the battery! Under the steering column is a cap, flush with th...
- By the way that was for Johnson v. USCB Claims Adminitrator....
- I just received my claim form today April 17th 2015. And it had to be post marke...
- I have Organic Shingles that are failing and are not 10 years old. Can i sue Ce...
- My 2005 F-150 has only 47,000 miles and ready replaced all 4 regulators...
- It's funny sometimes how God uses others; I was reading some of the people's fav...
- Very happily surprised to find bible verses in this newsletter. Thank you for th...