Posts Tagged ‘Boeing’
The National Scene - Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:42 - 0 Comments
The World Trade Organization ruled last month that Boeing received more than $5 billion in illegal government subsidies, much less than the amount received by European arch-rival Airbus. Interestingly, the world trade body’s appeals panel has now ruled on both sides of the dispute. It had earlier determined that the European Union subsidies to Airbus – based in Toulouse, France – totaled some $18 billion over more than a quarter-century.
Perhaps, the latest ruling will bring to an end the long-running transatlantic trade battle between the world’s foremost commercial aircraft makers over a market believed to be worth more than $3 trillion over the next two decades. As is usually the case, both sides claimed a measure of victory. The European Commission, whose complaint to the WTO was the subject of the ruling, said it welcomed the confirmation that Chicago-based Boeing also received billions of dollars in illegal subsidies between 1989 and 2006.
A WTO appeals panel had ruled last May on a U.S. complaint that European governments provided $18 billion in subsidies to Airbus that hurt Boeing, even though not all of them were illegal under international rules. EU Trade Commissioner Karel De Gucht called this most recent ruling vindication of the “EU’s long-held claims that Boeing has received massive U.S. government handouts in the past and continues to do so today.”
But his counterpart, U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk, called the ruling “a tremendous victory for American manufacturers and workers.” He noted the WTO appeals panel had determined that the support from the United States for Boeing was “far below” the amount of EU help for Airbus. He said the disproportionate nature of the U.S. versus European handouts were further illustrated by the appeals panel’s finding that U.S. subsidies to Boeing cost Airbus 118 lost aircraft sales, while EU subsidies for Airbus cost Boeing 342 lost aircraft sales.
Source: Associated Press
- The Selma March
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Cosco Recalls Convertible Hand Trucks Due To Injury Hazard
- Publix Reaches $30 Million Settlement With Employees In Overtime Location
- Class Action Sought For Toyota's Electric Power Steering Defect
- The Melton Case Settles
- Is Jeep's Fire Hazard Equivalent to GM's Ignition Switch Defect?
- A $24 Million Verdict in an Alabama Balcony Collapse Case
- More Info on the Xarelto Litigation
- BP Is Trying To Keep A Jury From Hearing Alabama's Case
- Budget Cuts Would Cripple State Court System In Alabama
- Loretta Lynch Is Now The U.S. Attorney General
- Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer Fined More Than $600,000 For Violations
- NHTSA Opens Investigation Into Hercules Tire Recall
- Ford Fights Source Code Discovery In Acceleration Actions
- NHTSA Asked To Investigate Ford Headlights Defect
- It Appears NHTSA Will Speed Up Takata And Jeep Recalls
- MDL Judge Selects Firms To Lead Takata Air Bag MDL
- Budget Crisis In The Alabama Legislature
- Harry Reid Stepping Down From United States Senate
- Hillary Clinton Makes It Official – She’s In The Race For The White House In 2016
- Watched judge Moore talk about funding. In my opinion, the Public sector has los...
- both the driver side and passenger windows failed in 2010 on my 2004 F150 xlt ha...
- I took the generic form for 13.5 years, it has destroyed my body, I get up in th...
- CLAIM # UJT-10591410101-395110
I tried several websites to get my form, for set...
- You say: "BP does not want folks to really know the types of damage the company ...
- In the piece you state "We must all continue the fight that started at a bridge ...
- It has been said "When nature has work to be done,God send someone to do it" Th...
- Hello I recently received my claim form and the website was not related to claim...