Posts Tagged ‘Boeing’
The National Scene - Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:42 - 0 Comments
The World Trade Organization ruled last month that Boeing received more than $5 billion in illegal government subsidies, much less than the amount received by European arch-rival Airbus. Interestingly, the world trade body’s appeals panel has now ruled on both sides of the dispute. It had earlier determined that the European Union subsidies to Airbus – based in Toulouse, France – totaled some $18 billion over more than a quarter-century.
Perhaps, the latest ruling will bring to an end the long-running transatlantic trade battle between the world’s foremost commercial aircraft makers over a market believed to be worth more than $3 trillion over the next two decades. As is usually the case, both sides claimed a measure of victory. The European Commission, whose complaint to the WTO was the subject of the ruling, said it welcomed the confirmation that Chicago-based Boeing also received billions of dollars in illegal subsidies between 1989 and 2006.
A WTO appeals panel had ruled last May on a U.S. complaint that European governments provided $18 billion in subsidies to Airbus that hurt Boeing, even though not all of them were illegal under international rules. EU Trade Commissioner Karel De Gucht called this most recent ruling vindication of the “EU’s long-held claims that Boeing has received massive U.S. government handouts in the past and continues to do so today.”
But his counterpart, U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk, called the ruling “a tremendous victory for American manufacturers and workers.” He noted the WTO appeals panel had determined that the support from the United States for Boeing was “far below” the amount of EU help for Airbus. He said the disproportionate nature of the U.S. versus European handouts were further illustrated by the appeals panel’s finding that U.S. subsidies to Boeing cost Airbus 118 lost aircraft sales, while EU subsidies for Airbus cost Boeing 342 lost aircraft sales.
Source: Associated Press
- Continental Recalls 8,070 Motorcycle Tires
- Deepwater Horizon Economic Settlement Program Trying to Make Up for Lost Time
- A Report On A Deadly Chemical Leak At A Site In Texas
- Korean Automakers Hyundai And Kia Agree To Record U.S. Settlement For Mileage Fraud
- General Motors Is Sued By Arizona For $3 Billion Over Recalls
- Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed Against General Motors
- NHTSA Probes Honda Accord Power Steering Issues
- NHTSA Fines Ferrari $3.5 Million Over Safety Reports
- AutoNation Halts Sales Of Used Cars In Air Bag Recalls
- Audi Air Bags May Not Fire When Ready
- Honda Repair Deal In Faulty Side Air Bag Class Action
- Honda Failed To Report 1,729 Deaths And Injuries Since 2003
- Obama Nominates Mark Rosekind To Lead NHTSA
- NHTSA Probes Honda’s Reporting Of Defective Air Bags
- 2004 350 6.0 Powerstrike diesel Navistar engine. PLEASE advise on how to be par...
- This recall is a night mare. One week after purchasing new tires back in August...
- We recently lost our home to foreclosure by Flagstar. After months of applying ...
- Safety starts at the top of an organization. This takes management commitment, w...
- I also lost my home to foreclosure due to Flagstar's failure to process my reque...
- The judge in the case has to approve any settlement terms. Don't hold your brea...
- I have a 2004 f250 perestroika diesel I baught the truck 2 years ago and ran fin...
- We should be able to get an lawsuit without paying an lawyer against Flagstar Ba...