Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Monday, October 7, 2013 9:54 - 1 Comment
Reglan battles continue to wage on throughout the country on two fronts – generic Defendants continue to allege that federal law preempted them from strengthening their warning labels and brand name Defendants continue to allege that they cannot be held liable for harm caused by their generic counterparts. While Reglan cases are filed in multiple venues, many eyes are on the litigation in Pennsylvania and California state courts, where the majority of Reglan cases are filed. Pennsylvania was the first state to consolidate Reglan cases for discovery management and bellwether trial settings and has so far rejected the Defendants’ attempts to absolve themselves from all liability.
In our last Reglan update, which appeared in February of this year, we reported that generic drug manufacturers sought to appeal Judge Sandra Moss’ decision to overrule their objections to the Plaintiffs’ Master Complaint. This decision effectively dismissed generic Defendants’ arguments that all claims against them were preempted under the U.S. Supreme Court Mensing decision. On September 7, 2012, brand name defendant Wyeth filed a petition to the Court of Pennsylvania, generally arguing that they are also preempted from Plaintiffs’ state law claims against them because they divested from the Reglan product in 2001, thus rendering it impossible for them to have made any changes to the product labeling after that date. While this appeal does not bear upon the future ability to raise claims against generic manufacturers, it can serve as further delay in Reglan proceedings, including the ability to reconvene discovery and reset cases for trial. For more information about the status of Reglan litigation, contact Danielle Mason, a lawyer in our firm’s Mass Torts Section, who has been heavily involved in this litigation, at 800-898-2034 or by email at Danielle.Mason@beasleyallen.com.
Leave a Reply
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- J&J Pays Oregon $4 Million To Settle Hip Implant Marketing Claims
- MF Global Officers’ Defense Cost Already At $48 Million
- GSK Fined Record $489 Million For Bribery In China
- Bank Of America’s Mortgage Backed Securities Settlement Is The Most Consumer Friendly Deal Struck Thus Far
- Alabama Supreme Court Affirms Class-Action Status For $3.2 Billion Investor Lawsuit Against CVS Caremark
- U.S. Senate Confirms Jill Pryor To 11th Circuit
- Alabama Campaigns Move Slowly Towards November
- The National Scene Begins To Generate Interest
- United Kingdom’s Government Backs BP
- U.S. Chamber Sides With Foreign Oil Company Over Its Own Members
- Halliburton Reaches Settlement On Claims
- A Confirmation Of Judge Barbier’s Ruling That BP Was Grossly Negligent
- I bought my f350 from our local ford 2 years ago it had 140000 on it in the firs...
- I have worked for dollar general for 14 1/2 years. sept 29th me and my whole cre...
- I had the same ignition problem where the car would not turn off on my 2007 HHR ...
- my recall was just preformed and power steering has gone out. are these two issu...
- I would like to know if I have A case that your firm would take on. I had severe...
- If possible, I would love to join the class action law suit.
We own a 2004 F 35...
- I am wondering about this lawsuit. What the outcome is....
- You can find more information about Lipitor and its connection to Type 2 diabete...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Oct 2, 2014 13:14 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- NHTSA Looking Into Ford Fiesta Door Latch Problems
- NHTSA Looks At Chrysler Minivan Stalling Issue
- NHTSA Puts Blame on GM For Hiding Ignition Switch Defect
- Aurora Shooting Victims Sue Ammunition E-Retailers
- Children’s Clothing Should Never Be Fire Traps
Recalls Update - Oct 2, 2014 9:39 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- FDA Tells Compounder To Recall Contaminated Goods Again
- More Than 200,000 Pairs Of Children’s Sunglasses Recalled
- Cabrinha Recalls Kiteboarding Control System Due To Risk Of Injury
- iDevices Recalls Temperature Probes Due To Ingestion Hazard
- AmTRAN Video Recalls To Repair 42-Inch JVC Flat Panel Televisions