Gov. Romney surprised most political observers, including a good number in his own party, when he selected Rep. Paul Ryan as his running mate. I am convinced that the Wisconsin lawmaker was forced on Romney by the Koch Brothers and their Tea Party brethren. I doubt that many folks know much at all about Paul Ryan. Based on what I have read and have been told, it certainly appears that Romney and Ryan are the perfect “Dream Team” for the Tea Party and the one percenters in this country. But the team will be bad for the rest of America.
Rep. Ryan has been on the public payroll in Washington since he was 22 years old. He could certainly be labeled a Washington insider. As independents and non-Tea Party Republicans learn more about Ryan’s record in Congress, I believe they will realize just how bad his selection was for the vast majority of Americans. Ryan’s Congressional record and also his plans for the future will be fair game during this election. Since the future of our democracy is on the line, we had better learn all we can about the candidates who ask for our vote. Here are a few things for all of us to consider about Ryan:
• Rep. Ryan’s proposed budget, which has been adopted by Gov. Romney, would cripple the economy. He would slash spending deeply, which would not only slow job growth, but shock the economy.
• The Ryan economic plan, according to estimates, would cost America one million jobs in the first year.
• More than 4 million jobs would be lost by the end of 2014.
• The Ryan plan will kill Medicare. He would replace Medicare with vouchers for retirees to purchase insurance, eliminating the guarantee of health care for seniors. They would be put at the mercy of the private insurance industry, which would get a huge windfall. That could amount to a cost increase of more than $5,900 by 2050, leaving many seniors broke or without the health care they need. Ryan would also raise the age of eligibility to 67.
• Rep. Ryan would rob the middle class to line the pockets of the rich. His tax plan is like Romney’s plan, which has been labeled Robin Hood in reverse. Ryan wants to cut taxes by $4.6 trillion over the next decade, but only for corporations and the rich. This would give families earning more than $1 million a year a $300,000 tax cut. And to pay for these cuts, Ryan would raise taxes on middle- and lower-income households and butcher social service programs that help middle- and working-class Americans.
• The Wisconsin lawmaker would dismantle Social Security. Ryan is on record as agreeing with Rick Perry’s view that Social Security is a “Ponzi scheme.” He also is on record as supporting George W. Bush’s disastrous proposal to privatize Social Security.
• Rep. Ryan wants to eliminate Pell Grants for more than one million low-income students. His budget plan cuts the Pell Grant program by $200 billion over the next 10 years.
• Ryan would give $40 billion in subsidies to Big Oil. His budget includes oil tax breaks worth $40 billion, while cutting “billions of dollars from investments to develop alternative fuels and clean energy technologies that would serve as substitutes for oil.” Some believe that Ryan – like Romney – is owned by the powerful oil lobby.
• He voted against the Hate Crimes Prevention Act, which President Obama signed into law in 2009.
• Ryan supported the stimulus package called TARP and all of the Bush legislative proposals that the Tea Party says are bad for our nation.
• Rep. Ryan voted for two wars that are being fought and financed on borrowed money.
• I believe that Rep. Ryan voted for the Bush Administration’s plan, put together by the drug manufacturers (Medicare Part D), that created a $17 billion unfunded liability.
• Rep. Ryan is closely tied to the Koch Brothers. Not surprisingly, these billionaire oil-barons are some of Ryan’s biggest political contributors. And their company, Koch industries, is Ryan’s biggest energy-related donor. The company’s PAC and affiliated individuals have already given him $65,500 in donations that can be tracked.
• For many years, Rep. Ryan devoted himself to Ayn Rand’s philosophy of “selfishness as a virtue.” I suspect his following the Rand rules will be discussed fully as the campaign progresses.
If there was ever any doubt that Mitt Romney has a plan that would be disastrous for America—he made it clear as a bell when he picked Paul Ryan as his running mate. He now is locked into the Ryan budget, which if adopted, would virtually destroy the middle class and push the poor even further down the economic and social ladders. Personally, I believe the dream team of Romney and Ryan is bad for America. I also believe that once the American people find out everything this team stands for and proposes, it will result in the team’s loss at the polls in November. Their loss will be American’s gain!
Contact us today for a free legal consultation with an experienced attorney.
Fields marked *may be required for submission.
If you would like to subscribe to the Jere Beasley Report digital edition, simply visit our Subscriptions page and provide the necessary information or call us at 800-898-2034.
Attorney Advertising - Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.