Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 15:39 - 0 Comments
The Obama Administration is proposing legislation that would require pharmaceutical companies to disclose payments made to doctors for research, consulting, speaking, traveling and entertainment. The intent of the legislation is to head off medical conflicts of interest. The New York Times reported that some researchers found that payments to doctors may influence the way doctors treat patients and contribute to higher costs by encouraging the use of more expensive drugs. According to the Times, doctors who take money from pharmaceutical companies may be more inclined to prescribe drugs in risky and unapproved ways.
Consumer advocates have long demanded details of the financial ties between doctors and pharmaceutical companies. Under the new standards, if a company has one product covered by Medicare or Medicaid, it will be required to disclose all payments made to doctors other than its own employees. The payment data will be posted on a website by the government where it will be available to the public. The law will also require companies to report “any ownership or investment interest” held by doctors or their immediate family members.
Companies that do not fully comply will be subject to a penalty of up to $10,000 for each payment they fail to report. A company that knowingly fails to report payments will face a penalty of as much as $100,000 for each violation, up to a total of $1 million a year. Hopefully, Congress will pass this legislation. If you agree, let your Senators and House members know how you feel and ask them to support the legislation.
Source: New York Times
Leave a Reply
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- Favorite Bible Verses
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- J&J Pays Oregon $4 Million To Settle Hip Implant Marketing Claims
- EPA Should Update Fracking Pollution Regulations
- Deepwater Fracking Raises Environmental Concerns
- $27.8 Million Settlement Finalized In TVA Coal Ash Spill
- Illinois Transport Company Settles Fatal Crash Suit For $2.7 Million
- Settlement For Family Of College Student Killed In Crash After Alabama National Championship Game
- Macy’s Fined $1 Million For Decapitation Of Warehouse Employee
- Texas Plastics Plant Fined $174,000 For Safety And Health Violations
- OSHA Says Safety Violation Continue At Oklahoma Oil Refinery
- Company Cited In Fatal West Virginia Cell Tower Collapse
- New Safety Directive Issued By OSHA On Communication Tower Work
- $27 Million Verdict Returned In Texas Against McDonald’s
- Sorry I meant to say settlement papers, but I did speak to someone in the Lawyer...
- I just spoke to someone and was told it will be another month or two before I wi...
- 2005 F150 super cab. Driver side regulator just broke. Dealer wants $200 just fo...
- Today, the 4th window failed in my 2004 F-150 SuperCrew - I bought it new and th...
- I own a 2007 Chevy HHR . Gauges have been going hey wire for about for about 5 m...
- Never know there was a lawsuit against WFB, not until I clicked on to there webs...
- just checking to see if you got all my paperwork and to see when e would receive...
- Checks will be issued sometime this year. Feel free to call 1-800-549-7320 to ma...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Sep 4, 2014 13:13 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- More Problems With Goodyear RV Tires
- NHTSA Offers Online Vehicle Recall Check
- Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Mazda For Engine Valve Defect
- GM Sued For Alleged Antifreeze Defect In Chevy Cruze Models
- Settlement By Kia And Hyundai In Fuel Efficiency MDL Is Approved
Recalls Update - Sep 4, 2014 11:03 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- USDA Recalls 7.5 Tons Of Applegate Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- J&J Unit Recalls Hysterectomy Device Over Cancer Fears
- Samson International Recalls Bar Stool Due To Fall Hazard
- Bexco Recalls Franklin & Ben Mason 4-in-1 Convertible Cribs Due To Fall And Entrapment Hazards
- Ace Bayou Bean Bag Chairs Recalled Because Of Suffocation And Choking Hazards