Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 15:33 - 0 Comments
In June 2011, the FDA warned the public that Actos usage for more than one year may be associated with an increased risk of bladder cancer. Actos, manufactured by Takeda, is in a class of insulin-sensitizing drugs known as thiazolidinediones and was approved to treat Type 2 diabetes. Since gaining FDA approval in July 1999, Actos has been included in the top ten best selling medications in the United States in various years. The FDA has indicated that approximately 2.3 million prescriptions were filled from January 2010 to October 2010 alone.
In December 2011, the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation met to decide whether to consolidate in one court all Actos cases filed in federal courts across the country. On December 29, 2011, the Panel decided that consolidation would promote the just and efficient administration of the cases and assigned the consolidated litigation to Judge Rebecca F. Doherty in the Western District of Louisiana. The first status conference will be held by the Court on the 22nd of this month.
In addition to the Actos MDL, litigation is pending in state courts across the country as well. On January 4, 2012, Actos cases filed in California state courts were consolidated by the Los Angeles Superior Court. We anticipate a trial judge to be appointed very soon from the Complex Litigation Panel of the Los Angeles Superior Court.
Numerous cases have also been filed in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Ill. The corporate headquarters of Takeda Pharmaceuticals is located in Illinois. The litigation in Illinois has been assigned to Judge Deborah Dooling. The second status conference was held on February 23, 2012.
Lawyers in our firm are currently investigating claims involving bladder cancer and usage of Actos, Actoplus Met, Actoplus Met XR, and/or Duetact. If you have any questions or would like for us to review potential claims, contact Roger Smith, a lawyer in our Mass Torts Section, at 800-898-2034 or by email at Roger.Smith@beasleyallen.com.
Leave a Reply
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- Favorite Bible Verses
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- J&J Pays Oregon $4 Million To Settle Hip Implant Marketing Claims
- EPA Should Update Fracking Pollution Regulations
- Deepwater Fracking Raises Environmental Concerns
- $27.8 Million Settlement Finalized In TVA Coal Ash Spill
- Illinois Transport Company Settles Fatal Crash Suit For $2.7 Million
- Settlement For Family Of College Student Killed In Crash After Alabama National Championship Game
- Macy’s Fined $1 Million For Decapitation Of Warehouse Employee
- Texas Plastics Plant Fined $174,000 For Safety And Health Violations
- OSHA Says Safety Violation Continue At Oklahoma Oil Refinery
- Company Cited In Fatal West Virginia Cell Tower Collapse
- New Safety Directive Issued By OSHA On Communication Tower Work
- $27 Million Verdict Returned In Texas Against McDonald’s
- Was just wondering if you can still be in this lawsuit. I was a manager for 8 yr...
- I keep reading that the pratice of steering is illegal and whole-heartidly suppo...
- Hello William, thank you for your question. We are not aware of any pending liti...
- Has litigation commenced as a result of this recall?...
- Sorry I meant to say settlement papers, but I did speak to someone in the Lawyer...
- I just spoke to someone and was told it will be another month or two before I wi...
- 2005 F150 super cab. Driver side regulator just broke. Dealer wants $200 just fo...
- Today, the 4th window failed in my 2004 F-150 SuperCrew - I bought it new and th...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Sep 4, 2014 13:13 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- More Problems With Goodyear RV Tires
- NHTSA Offers Online Vehicle Recall Check
- Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Mazda For Engine Valve Defect
- GM Sued For Alleged Antifreeze Defect In Chevy Cruze Models
- Settlement By Kia And Hyundai In Fuel Efficiency MDL Is Approved
Recalls Update - Sep 4, 2014 11:03 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- USDA Recalls 7.5 Tons Of Applegate Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- J&J Unit Recalls Hysterectomy Device Over Cancer Fears
- Samson International Recalls Bar Stool Due To Fall Hazard
- Bexco Recalls Franklin & Ben Mason 4-in-1 Convertible Cribs Due To Fall And Entrapment Hazards
- Ace Bayou Bean Bag Chairs Recalled Because Of Suffocation And Choking Hazards