The National Scene - Written by Beasley Allen on Thursday, October 6, 2011 11:02 - 0 Comments
More Americans than ever believe that the world is warming. In fact, there are many more this year than last who share that belief. Some say the opinion swing has been influenced by the Republican Presidential debates. Regardless of what has caused the shift in opinions, the changes were found by a Reuters/Ipsos poll in mid September. The percentage of Americans who believe the Earth has been warming rose to 83% from 75% last year in the poll conducted Sept 8-12.
U.S. Republican Presidential candidates, other than Jon Huntsman, have mostly blasted the idea that emissions from burning fossil fuels and other human actions are warming the planet. The current GOP front-runner, Texas Governor Rick Perry, has accused scientists of manipulating climate data. Rep. Michele Bachmann, another of the candidates and a Tea Party favorite, has said climate change is a hoax. Both of these candidates ignore science and act as if they are still in the dark ages and on this subject they really are. It’s difficult to believe that candidates for President would make such irresponsible statements.
Reports this year reveal that global temperatures in 2010 were tied with 2005 to be the warmest year since the 1880s. This is causing the public to be concerned about the issue. We can no longer sit back and ignore what is happening to our planet. Republican candidates denying climate change science is actually causing ordinary folks to realize we have a most serious and life-threatening problem.
This year has been a record year for the kind of costly weather disasters — including Hurricane Irene, which raked the East Coast — that scientists have warned would be more frequent with climate change. Unlike many other issues that divide Republicans and Democratic voters, such as healthcare or how to deal with the deficit and debt, a majority of Americans from both major parties agree on global warming. According to the poll, some 72% of Republicans believe global warming is happening and 92% of Democrats do, it found.
Global warming could be an important issue in next year’s election, because some 15% of voters see it as their primary concern. President Barack Obama hasn’t really defined himself as “the environmental candidate.” If he is able to do this it could have a large influence on next year’s election. On the other hand, if a Republican softens his or her stance on climate change, and the President, who has failed to pass a climate bill in his first term, moves more to the center, it won’t be a major factor in the election. There must be a contrast between the Democratic and Republican candidates for climate change to be the issue it should be.
Some 71% of the Americans who believe warming is happening think that it is caused either partly or mostly by humans, while 27% believe its is the result of natural causes, the poll found. While more Americans believe in global warming, the skeptics are becoming more entrenched in their belief that it is not happening. In 2010 the certainty of skeptics was 35%, while it was 53% in 2011.
Source: Insurance Journal
Leave a Reply
- We Should Not Be Surprised By How Low BP Will Go To Get Its Way
- An Update on the ASR Hip Litigation
- 2013 Was a Banner Year for Whistleblower Cases
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Jere Beasley Report, February 2014
- An Update on the Actos Trial
- Five AndroGel Lawsuits Filed Against Abbott
- Efforts Underway to Enact Uniform Data Security Law
- Kentucky Addiction Clinic Settles False Claims Act Allegations for $15.75 Million
- GM Knew Of Cobalt Ignition Problem
- BP Oil Spill Medical Settlement Moves Forward
- Parting Words
- Monthly Reminders
- A Message From Dr. Sidney M. Wolfe For The American People
- Museum Of Alabama Has Its Grand Opening
- A Big Win In Daytona
- Please check out our GM Recall Survivors page on Facebook....
- the machine was not the cause . th cause is the consumer not reading the manual ...
- ... Sorry, TYPO! 'NOW," as of March 4, 2014, I am not hearing a knocking undern...
- I purchased a 2010 HHR in September of 2011 in order to transport my elderly par...
- KEITH COOK THESE NEW CARS DON'T HAVE POWER STEERING FLUID ITS DONE BY COMPUTER...
- YES i OWN A 2009 HHR YES THE KEY GOT STUCK THEY SAID IT WAS A BATTER IN THE K...
- I just got a call from my wife and our 2007 HHR has had the "Power Steering" pro...
- As a long-time general practice lawyer who constantly tries to educate the publ...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Mar 5, 2014 9:02 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- Seatbelts For Buses Have Been Recommended For Decades
- Aggressive Airbag Inflation Can Cause Injury And Death
- If You Want To Update Your Car – There Will Be An App For That!
- Electronic Power Steering Failures In Toyota Cars
- Final Order Issued In $1.15 Billion California Lead Paint Case
Recalls Update - Mar 5, 2014 11:07 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Company Recalls 8.7 Million Pounds Of Meat
- Runway Global Recalls Girls’ Sugarfly Hooded Jackets
- Lion Force Recalls Boys’ Puffer Coats Due To Strangulation Hazard
- BebeLove Recalls Baby Walkers Due To Fall And Entrapment Hazards
- Agila Specialties Private Limited Recalls 10 Lots Of Etomidate Injection 2 mg/mL – 10 mL And 20 mL