The National Scene - Written by Beasley Allen on Thursday, October 6, 2011 11:02 - 0 Comments
More Americans than ever believe that the world is warming. In fact, there are many more this year than last who share that belief. Some say the opinion swing has been influenced by the Republican Presidential debates. Regardless of what has caused the shift in opinions, the changes were found by a Reuters/Ipsos poll in mid September. The percentage of Americans who believe the Earth has been warming rose to 83% from 75% last year in the poll conducted Sept 8-12.
U.S. Republican Presidential candidates, other than Jon Huntsman, have mostly blasted the idea that emissions from burning fossil fuels and other human actions are warming the planet. The current GOP front-runner, Texas Governor Rick Perry, has accused scientists of manipulating climate data. Rep. Michele Bachmann, another of the candidates and a Tea Party favorite, has said climate change is a hoax. Both of these candidates ignore science and act as if they are still in the dark ages and on this subject they really are. It’s difficult to believe that candidates for President would make such irresponsible statements.
Reports this year reveal that global temperatures in 2010 were tied with 2005 to be the warmest year since the 1880s. This is causing the public to be concerned about the issue. We can no longer sit back and ignore what is happening to our planet. Republican candidates denying climate change science is actually causing ordinary folks to realize we have a most serious and life-threatening problem.
This year has been a record year for the kind of costly weather disasters — including Hurricane Irene, which raked the East Coast — that scientists have warned would be more frequent with climate change. Unlike many other issues that divide Republicans and Democratic voters, such as healthcare or how to deal with the deficit and debt, a majority of Americans from both major parties agree on global warming. According to the poll, some 72% of Republicans believe global warming is happening and 92% of Democrats do, it found.
Global warming could be an important issue in next year’s election, because some 15% of voters see it as their primary concern. President Barack Obama hasn’t really defined himself as “the environmental candidate.” If he is able to do this it could have a large influence on next year’s election. On the other hand, if a Republican softens his or her stance on climate change, and the President, who has failed to pass a climate bill in his first term, moves more to the center, it won’t be a major factor in the election. There must be a contrast between the Democratic and Republican candidates for climate change to be the issue it should be.
Some 71% of the Americans who believe warming is happening think that it is caused either partly or mostly by humans, while 27% believe its is the result of natural causes, the poll found. While more Americans believe in global warming, the skeptics are becoming more entrenched in their belief that it is not happening. In 2010 the certainty of skeptics was 35%, while it was 53% in 2011.
Source: Insurance Journal
Leave a Reply
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Travis Grant Story Is A Good One
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Pollution Plagues The Water In Alabama
- New York Appeals Court Decisions May Impact Fracking Nationwide
- The Prices Of Generic Drugs Are Going Up
- John Hopkins Settles Pelvic Exam Lawsuits For $190 Million
- An Update On Boating Accidents
- There Were 10 Deaths And 123 Injured During 4th Of July Travel Period In Alabama
- Tracy Morgan Files Suit Against Wal-Mart
- OSHA Issues Safety Violations To Bridge Company
- Investigators Say Overloaded Storage Bins Caused Building Collapse
- Jury Returns $15 Million Verdict Against The Los Angeles Dodgers
- Safeguards Needed To Protect The Public Against Predatory Lenders
- It would of been nice to got a letter!!!! For my 2012 tri-glide, mine just start...
- My 2007 F150 Triton 4x4 truck has had two regulators replaced on the driver door...
- Just in case Ford ever steps up, I'm chiming in. Original Owner 2004 F150 SCrew...
- August 26, 2014 - my wife has received an August GM recall notice on her 2002 mo...
- Thanks, Tiffany Lindsay keep me posted...
- To the lawyer of this firm, something similar happen to me today while traveling...
- Ford sucks! for not recalling this issue... I am on my second replacement.
- Both my front window regulators crapped out on my 2004 f150 back in 2007. Haven...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Aug 1, 2014 14:22 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- NHTSA Finally Issues A Rear Underride Standard
- Dangers Associated With Portable Bed Handles
- A Danger in Your Home Is Hiding In Plain Sight
- Joan Claybrook Recalls Important Product Safety Issues She Dealt With As Head Of NHTSA
- GM Stops Sales Of Some Cadillacs Over Ignition Issue
Recalls Update - Aug 1, 2014 12:23 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Unique Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. Recalls All Sterile Compounded Preparations Within Their Expire Period
- Dream On Me Recalls High Chairs Due To Strangulation And Fall Hazards
- Oeuf Recalls To Repair Cribs Due To Entrapment Hazard
- Fiberglass Boom May Conduct Electricity
- Porter-Cable Fixed-Base Production Routers Recalled Due To Electrical Shock Hazard