Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Thursday, April 28, 2011 13:44 - 3 Comments
After ASR XL Acetabular and ASR Resurfacing hip systems (ASR hips) were recalled in August 2010, the manufacturers, DePuy Orthopedics and Johnson and Johnson (J & J), launched a very aggressive campaign to defend the hip failure cases that have been filed against them. The ASR hips have been shown to have an exceptionally high rate of revision (i.e., second / follow-up) surgeries within a short period of time from the original hip implant surgery. The metal-on-metal design of the ASR hips has led to metal particles entering into the user’s bloodstream causing metal poisoning. This metal poisoning and the general defective design of the ASR hips have also led to instances of dislocation, hip mal-alignment issues and bone fractures. Combined, these issues were the primary reason for the ASR hip recall.
Realizing that they have a major problem with the defective ASR hips, DePuy and J & J immediately upon the recall instituted a “medical bill reimbursement program.” This program allows DePuy to pay for medical bills associated with the follow-up care and treatment of the defective ASR hip device, including any potential revision surgeries. However, DePuy has required ASR hip users to obtain a claims number and sign a medical authorization release, which violates many of the users’ rights. This release effectively authorizes DePuy to gain access and information about ASR users’ potential case that DePuy would not otherwise have. For instance, the release allows DePuy, through the company that DePuy has hired to handle this program – Broadspire – to speak directly with the ASR user, his or her physicians, along with obtaining the ASR device if there is a need for a revision surgery. If an ASR device is in DePuy’s possession that will negatively affect any potential client’s case.
Recently, through the efforts of the MDL Plaintiffs’ leadership committee (PSC), DePuy has agreed to not require clients to sign these releases and has agreed to pay for ASR users’ medical bills. However, the ASR user should not communicate with DePuy or Broadspire directly. Instead, potential clients should go through their lawyer to handle any medical billing issues because DePuy and/or Broadspire has the ability to record any communications over the phone to use against a potential client. Direct communication between ASR users and DePuy can lead to many ways that DePuy can take advantage of an unrepresented ASR user. Therefore, if ASR hip users are interested in this reimbursement program, it would be in their best interest to get a lawyer to act on their behalf when dealing with DePuy or Broadspire regarding payment of their medical bills.
If you need additional information on the subject, contact Navan Ward, a lawyer in our Mass Torts Section, at 800-898-2034 or by email at Navan.Ward@beasleyallen.com. As you may recall, Navan serves on the PSC for the MDL.
Leave a Reply
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- Favorite Bible Verses
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- J&J Pays Oregon $4 Million To Settle Hip Implant Marketing Claims
- EPA Should Update Fracking Pollution Regulations
- Deepwater Fracking Raises Environmental Concerns
- $27.8 Million Settlement Finalized In TVA Coal Ash Spill
- Illinois Transport Company Settles Fatal Crash Suit For $2.7 Million
- Settlement For Family Of College Student Killed In Crash After Alabama National Championship Game
- Macy’s Fined $1 Million For Decapitation Of Warehouse Employee
- Texas Plastics Plant Fined $174,000 For Safety And Health Violations
- OSHA Says Safety Violation Continue At Oklahoma Oil Refinery
- Company Cited In Fatal West Virginia Cell Tower Collapse
- New Safety Directive Issued By OSHA On Communication Tower Work
- $27 Million Verdict Returned In Texas Against McDonald’s
- wells fargo I think has fraud a hud partial claim i was supposed to be on,thin...
- I have a 2005 Ford F150 crew cab. This is the third window in which window regul...
- These tires are on my 2000 Georgie Boy motorhome and have 23,000 miles on them. ...
- Attn: Art Jackson We are opposed to the hog farm being constructed on ...
- I would like to join the class action lawsuit against the Ford Motor Company reg...
- Glad to be getting closure I go into dollar general and spend 10 dollars every o...
- Was just wondering if you can still be in this lawsuit. I was a manager for 8 yr...
- I keep reading that the pratice of steering is illegal and whole-heartidly suppo...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Sep 4, 2014 13:13 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- More Problems With Goodyear RV Tires
- NHTSA Offers Online Vehicle Recall Check
- Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Mazda For Engine Valve Defect
- GM Sued For Alleged Antifreeze Defect In Chevy Cruze Models
- Settlement By Kia And Hyundai In Fuel Efficiency MDL Is Approved
Recalls Update - Sep 4, 2014 11:03 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- USDA Recalls 7.5 Tons Of Applegate Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- J&J Unit Recalls Hysterectomy Device Over Cancer Fears
- Samson International Recalls Bar Stool Due To Fall Hazard
- Bexco Recalls Franklin & Ben Mason 4-in-1 Convertible Cribs Due To Fall And Entrapment Hazards
- Ace Bayou Bean Bag Chairs Recalled Because Of Suffocation And Choking Hazards