Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Thursday, April 28, 2011 13:44 - 3 Comments
After ASR XL Acetabular and ASR Resurfacing hip systems (ASR hips) were recalled in August 2010, the manufacturers, DePuy Orthopedics and Johnson and Johnson (J & J), launched a very aggressive campaign to defend the hip failure cases that have been filed against them. The ASR hips have been shown to have an exceptionally high rate of revision (i.e., second / follow-up) surgeries within a short period of time from the original hip implant surgery. The metal-on-metal design of the ASR hips has led to metal particles entering into the user’s bloodstream causing metal poisoning. This metal poisoning and the general defective design of the ASR hips have also led to instances of dislocation, hip mal-alignment issues and bone fractures. Combined, these issues were the primary reason for the ASR hip recall.
Realizing that they have a major problem with the defective ASR hips, DePuy and J & J immediately upon the recall instituted a “medical bill reimbursement program.” This program allows DePuy to pay for medical bills associated with the follow-up care and treatment of the defective ASR hip device, including any potential revision surgeries. However, DePuy has required ASR hip users to obtain a claims number and sign a medical authorization release, which violates many of the users’ rights. This release effectively authorizes DePuy to gain access and information about ASR users’ potential case that DePuy would not otherwise have. For instance, the release allows DePuy, through the company that DePuy has hired to handle this program – Broadspire – to speak directly with the ASR user, his or her physicians, along with obtaining the ASR device if there is a need for a revision surgery. If an ASR device is in DePuy’s possession that will negatively affect any potential client’s case.
Recently, through the efforts of the MDL Plaintiffs’ leadership committee (PSC), DePuy has agreed to not require clients to sign these releases and has agreed to pay for ASR users’ medical bills. However, the ASR user should not communicate with DePuy or Broadspire directly. Instead, potential clients should go through their lawyer to handle any medical billing issues because DePuy and/or Broadspire has the ability to record any communications over the phone to use against a potential client. Direct communication between ASR users and DePuy can lead to many ways that DePuy can take advantage of an unrepresented ASR user. Therefore, if ASR hip users are interested in this reimbursement program, it would be in their best interest to get a lawyer to act on their behalf when dealing with DePuy or Broadspire regarding payment of their medical bills.
If you need additional information on the subject, contact Navan Ward, a lawyer in our Mass Torts Section, at 800-898-2034 or by email at Navan.Ward@beasleyallen.com. As you may recall, Navan serves on the PSC for the MDL.
Leave a Reply
- The Role of a Trial Lawyer
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Sandy Hook Families File Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- GM Recalls Vehicles For Headlight Problem
- Daiichi Sankyo Agrees to Pay $39 Million to Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit
- District Court Sanctions Ghostwriting Of Expert Reports
- IIHS List Of Safest Cars Grows Amid Record Recalls In The U.S.
- NHTSA Needs Adequate Resources To Do Its Job
- Former NHTSA Employees Join Takata Air Bag Defect Panel
- BMW Will Replace Airbags Nationwide
- GM Recalls 83,000 SUVs And Trucks For Faulty Ignitions
- GM Gets 108 More Claims For Defective Ignition Switch Compensation
- Koch Brothers Set $889 Million Budget For Lead-Up To 2016
- Whistleblower Wins Supreme Court Ruling
- Pfizer Pays $400 Million To End Shareholder Suit
- Study Author Says Autism Risk Linked To Chemicals
- Multi-State Dog Fighting Ring Ordered To Pay $2 Million Restitution
- sending this in hope for that you receive this and respond . Do I need to fill o...
- I recently saw an episode of BAR on WSFA regarding trying to get the legislature...
- I have a 2004 F150 Lariat crew cab. Driving home from work in 2011 (cold weather...
- In 2005 August 12th my husband commited suicide after being on Lexapro. I notice...
- Anthony Franco, the last part of your paragraph is absolutely not true, the new ...
- I have been searching for something like this ... I have worked 50 to 65 hours p...
- 2005 F150 Supercrew: I have replaced 3 out of 4 and the last regulator is broken...
- i understand that wat has happened but it is also the owner of said vehicle to d...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Feb 9, 2015 14:42 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- Recalls Of Cars Abroad Prompt No Urgency In United States
- FHWA Opens Website For Public Reporting Of Guardrail Flaws
- Lawyers In Our Firm Settle Industrial Machine Design Case
- Aging and Dangerous Tires On Our School Buses
- Toyota Ordered to Pay $11 Million in U.S. Trial Over Fatal Sudden Unintended Acceleration Crash
Recalls Update - Feb 9, 2015 9:36 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Johnson Health Tech Recalls Matrix Fitness Strength Training Machines
- Cleaner And Degreaser Recalled For Chemical Hazard
- NPD Furniture Recalls Dining Chairs Due To Fall Hazard
- Children’s Pajamas Recalled By Star Ride Kids
- CoScentrix Expands Recall Of DD Brand Candles