Posts Tagged ‘West Virginia’
Mass Torts Update - Thursday, October 2, 2014 12:15 - 0 Comments
In another TVM case, Johnson & Johnson was ordered by a federal court jury in West Virginia last month to pay $3.27 million in a lawsuit involving a defectively designed vaginal-mesh implant. The Plaintiff, Jo Huskey, said the implant eroded inside her and that she had to have surgery. The jurors found J&J’s Ethicon unit liable for Ms. Huskey’s injuries. The company’s TVT-O mesh sling, sold as a treatment for incontinence, was the culprit.
This is the second jury finding that J&J’s incontinence slings are defectively designed resulting in harm to women. J&J, based in New Brunswick, N.J., faces more than 30,000 lawsuits accusing Ethicon of making improperly designed vaginal inserts, such as the slings, that damaged women’s organs and made sexual relations very painful. The company reported the number of cases in a securities filing last month. In April, a jury in state court in Dallas concluded the design of the TVT-O sling implanted in Linda Batiste was defective and awarded the 64-year-old woman $1.2 million in compensatory damages. Interestingly, the TVT-O sling remains on the market.
Many of the vaginal-mesh cases against J&J and other implant makers have been consolidated before U.S. District Judge Joseph Goodwin in Charleston, W. Va., for discovery and bellwether trials. Judge Goodwin presided over the trial of Ms. Huskey’s trial. Boston Scientific Corp. (BSX), C.R. Bard Inc. (BCR) and other makers of vaginal inserts targeted in suits had talks this year about settling cases over the devices. But J&J has refused to participate in settlement talks about its inserts.
Ms. Huskey, an assistant physical therapist from Illinois, got her Ethicon sling in 2011 and had surgery to remove the device later that year after suffering pain that made sex very difficult. In Ms. Huskey’s case, jurors found that J&J officials defectively designed the sling and failed to properly warn doctors and patients the device could erode, damaging organs and causing pain. During the trial, Judge Goodwin ruled that Ms. Huskey couldn’t seek punitive damages against J&J over the device maker’s handling and marketing of the sling. The case is in the U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia (Charleston).
Source: Jeff Feeley with Bloomberg News
- GlaxoSmithKline To Pay West Virginia $22 Million To Settle Drug Lawsuit
- West Virginia Coal Mine Collapse Kills Two Miners
- Judge Approves Settlement In Deadly Plant Explosion In West Virginia
- Tougher Chemical Rules Needed
- Bellwether Trials Scheduled In Transvaginal Mesh Litigation
- West Virginia Board Awarded $2.6 Million In Lawsuit
- America Electric Power Found To Be At Fault In Fatal 2007 Blast
- Federal court to hear West Virginia families’ claims against DuPont
- Wrongful death suit filed against Bayer
- A Report On A Deadly Chemical Leak At A Site In Texas
- The Role of a Trial Lawyer
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Sandy Hook Families File Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- GM Recalls Vehicles For Headlight Problem
- Daiichi Sankyo Agrees to Pay $39 Million to Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit
- District Court Sanctions Ghostwriting Of Expert Reports
- IIHS List Of Safest Cars Grows Amid Record Recalls In The U.S.
- NHTSA Needs Adequate Resources To Do Its Job
- Former NHTSA Employees Join Takata Air Bag Defect Panel
- BMW Will Replace Airbags Nationwide
- GM Recalls 83,000 SUVs And Trucks For Faulty Ignitions
- GM Gets 108 More Claims For Defective Ignition Switch Compensation
- Koch Brothers Set $889 Million Budget For Lead-Up To 2016
- Whistleblower Wins Supreme Court Ruling
- Pfizer Pays $400 Million To End Shareholder Suit
- Study Author Says Autism Risk Linked To Chemicals
- Multi-State Dog Fighting Ring Ordered To Pay $2 Million Restitution
- In 2005 August 12th my husband commited suicide after being on Lexapro. I notice...
- Anthony Franco, the last part of your paragraph is absolutely not true, the new ...
- I have been searching for something like this ... I have worked 50 to 65 hours p...
- 2005 F150 Supercrew: I have replaced 3 out of 4 and the last regulator is broken...
- i understand that wat has happened but it is also the owner of said vehicle to d...
- I was prescribed Plavix from Sept 2003 through
Aug 2010 and suffered several he...
- my mazda has been in the shop for over 200 days in 8 months turbo charger ,motor...
- Does Beasley and Alan handle whistleblower cases if the government has made a d...