Posts Tagged ‘West Virginia’
Mass Torts Update - Thursday, October 2, 2014 12:15 - 0 Comments
In another TVM case, Johnson & Johnson was ordered by a federal court jury in West Virginia last month to pay $3.27 million in a lawsuit involving a defectively designed vaginal-mesh implant. The Plaintiff, Jo Huskey, said the implant eroded inside her and that she had to have surgery. The jurors found J&J’s Ethicon unit liable for Ms. Huskey’s injuries. The company’s TVT-O mesh sling, sold as a treatment for incontinence, was the culprit.
This is the second jury finding that J&J’s incontinence slings are defectively designed resulting in harm to women. J&J, based in New Brunswick, N.J., faces more than 30,000 lawsuits accusing Ethicon of making improperly designed vaginal inserts, such as the slings, that damaged women’s organs and made sexual relations very painful. The company reported the number of cases in a securities filing last month. In April, a jury in state court in Dallas concluded the design of the TVT-O sling implanted in Linda Batiste was defective and awarded the 64-year-old woman $1.2 million in compensatory damages. Interestingly, the TVT-O sling remains on the market.
Many of the vaginal-mesh cases against J&J and other implant makers have been consolidated before U.S. District Judge Joseph Goodwin in Charleston, W. Va., for discovery and bellwether trials. Judge Goodwin presided over the trial of Ms. Huskey’s trial. Boston Scientific Corp. (BSX), C.R. Bard Inc. (BCR) and other makers of vaginal inserts targeted in suits had talks this year about settling cases over the devices. But J&J has refused to participate in settlement talks about its inserts.
Ms. Huskey, an assistant physical therapist from Illinois, got her Ethicon sling in 2011 and had surgery to remove the device later that year after suffering pain that made sex very difficult. In Ms. Huskey’s case, jurors found that J&J officials defectively designed the sling and failed to properly warn doctors and patients the device could erode, damaging organs and causing pain. During the trial, Judge Goodwin ruled that Ms. Huskey couldn’t seek punitive damages against J&J over the device maker’s handling and marketing of the sling. The case is in the U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia (Charleston).
Source: Jeff Feeley with Bloomberg News
- GlaxoSmithKline To Pay West Virginia $22 Million To Settle Drug Lawsuit
- West Virginia Coal Mine Collapse Kills Two Miners
- Judge Approves Settlement In Deadly Plant Explosion In West Virginia
- Tougher Chemical Rules Needed
- Bellwether Trials Scheduled In Transvaginal Mesh Litigation
- West Virginia Board Awarded $2.6 Million In Lawsuit
- America Electric Power Found To Be At Fault In Fatal 2007 Blast
- Federal court to hear West Virginia families’ claims against DuPont
- Wrongful death suit filed against Bayer
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- J&J Pays Oregon $4 Million To Settle Hip Implant Marketing Claims
- MF Global Officers’ Defense Cost Already At $48 Million
- GSK Fined Record $489 Million For Bribery In China
- Bank Of America’s Mortgage Backed Securities Settlement Is The Most Consumer Friendly Deal Struck Thus Far
- Alabama Supreme Court Affirms Class-Action Status For $3.2 Billion Investor Lawsuit Against CVS Caremark
- U.S. Senate Confirms Jill Pryor To 11th Circuit
- Alabama Campaigns Move Slowly Towards November
- The National Scene Begins To Generate Interest
- United Kingdom’s Government Backs BP
- U.S. Chamber Sides With Foreign Oil Company Over Its Own Members
- Halliburton Reaches Settlement On Claims
- A Confirmation Of Judge Barbier’s Ruling That BP Was Grossly Negligent
- So what is happening on this was it corrected because my husband is also on this...
- J P Morgan / Chase wasted days of my time arguing about flood insurance on my lo...
- My husband contracted polio from the vaccine around 1962. He was left with left ...
- I bought my f350 from our local ford 2 years ago it had 140000 on it in the firs...
- I have worked for dollar general for 14 1/2 years. sept 29th me and my whole cre...
- I had the same ignition problem where the car would not turn off on my 2007 HHR ...
- my recall was just preformed and power steering has gone out. are these two issu...
- I would like to know if I have A case that your firm would take on. I had severe...