Posts Tagged ‘West Virginia’
Mass Torts Update - Thursday, October 2, 2014 12:15 - 0 Comments
In another TVM case, Johnson & Johnson was ordered by a federal court jury in West Virginia last month to pay $3.27 million in a lawsuit involving a defectively designed vaginal-mesh implant. The Plaintiff, Jo Huskey, said the implant eroded inside her and that she had to have surgery. The jurors found J&J’s Ethicon unit liable for Ms. Huskey’s injuries. The company’s TVT-O mesh sling, sold as a treatment for incontinence, was the culprit.
This is the second jury finding that J&J’s incontinence slings are defectively designed resulting in harm to women. J&J, based in New Brunswick, N.J., faces more than 30,000 lawsuits accusing Ethicon of making improperly designed vaginal inserts, such as the slings, that damaged women’s organs and made sexual relations very painful. The company reported the number of cases in a securities filing last month. In April, a jury in state court in Dallas concluded the design of the TVT-O sling implanted in Linda Batiste was defective and awarded the 64-year-old woman $1.2 million in compensatory damages. Interestingly, the TVT-O sling remains on the market.
Many of the vaginal-mesh cases against J&J and other implant makers have been consolidated before U.S. District Judge Joseph Goodwin in Charleston, W. Va., for discovery and bellwether trials. Judge Goodwin presided over the trial of Ms. Huskey’s trial. Boston Scientific Corp. (BSX), C.R. Bard Inc. (BCR) and other makers of vaginal inserts targeted in suits had talks this year about settling cases over the devices. But J&J has refused to participate in settlement talks about its inserts.
Ms. Huskey, an assistant physical therapist from Illinois, got her Ethicon sling in 2011 and had surgery to remove the device later that year after suffering pain that made sex very difficult. In Ms. Huskey’s case, jurors found that J&J officials defectively designed the sling and failed to properly warn doctors and patients the device could erode, damaging organs and causing pain. During the trial, Judge Goodwin ruled that Ms. Huskey couldn’t seek punitive damages against J&J over the device maker’s handling and marketing of the sling. The case is in the U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia (Charleston).
Source: Jeff Feeley with Bloomberg News
- GlaxoSmithKline To Pay West Virginia $22 Million To Settle Drug Lawsuit
- West Virginia Coal Mine Collapse Kills Two Miners
- Judge Approves Settlement In Deadly Plant Explosion In West Virginia
- Tougher Chemical Rules Needed
- Bellwether Trials Scheduled In Transvaginal Mesh Litigation
- West Virginia Board Awarded $2.6 Million In Lawsuit
- America Electric Power Found To Be At Fault In Fatal 2007 Blast
- Federal court to hear West Virginia families’ claims against DuPont
- Wrongful death suit filed against Bayer
- $3.3 Million Verdict Against TRW In Faulty Air Bag Lawsuit
- Deepwater Horizon Economic Settlement Program Trying to Make Up for Lost Time
- An Explanation of How Beasley Allen is Structured
- The Eighth Annual Beasley Allen Legal Conference
- More On Ionization Smoke Detectors
- NHTSA Considers Vehicle Electronics Rule
- Continental Recalls 170,000 Defective Motorcycle Tires
- Virginia Woman Paralyzed In Miata Car Crash Awarded $20 Million
- Bessemer Jury Returns $9.9 Million Verdict In Mazda Fire Case
- Defrauding The Military Is All Too Common
- JPMorgan Fined $78 Million By The European Commission
- $28 Million Verdict Upheld In Wyoming Carbon Monoxide Case
- Judge Vance Lifts Temporary Restraining Order Preventing Publication Of Alagasco Documents
- I worked for DG for 13 years, I left because I worked 104 hours a week for 2 mon...
- HI, just want to notify you of a change of address.
- Same thing happened too my 17 yr old in an 08 kia rio...
- I too was scammed by Flagstar Bank. I tried to get a modification on my mortgag...
- I have a 2004 F-150 XLT which I purchased new in Jan. 2004. The truck has only ...
- Deuy lawsuit. I have been reading , on internet, that lawsuits filed after Augu...
- Had to contact and comment on the MTD log splitter recall. There should be a sta...
- A couple month ago, 2010 Cobalt had ignition switch & keys replace per recal...