Posts Tagged ‘Transportation’
The Consumer Corner - Friday, August 10, 2012 14:29 - 0 Comments
Volvo Car Corp., the Swedish carmaker now owned by China’s Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, has agreed to pay a $1.5 million fine to the federal government to settle claims that it delayed recalling vehicles. This was reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration last month. David Strickland, the agency’s administrator, said in a news release that NHTSA “expects all manufacturers to obey the law and address automotive safety concerns without delay.” In the case of Volvo, NHTSA said those delays involved seven recalls covering a total of about 32,000 vehicles in 2010 and 2012.
The problems cited in the recalls included incorrect tire-pressure labeling, air bags that might not deploy properly and engines that could stall, among other flaws. Almost 16,000 of the vehicles were recalled for the more serious air-bag and stalling issues. In a settlement dated June 29 and announced last month, Volvo agreed to pay the fine. The automaker issued a statement in which it apologized and said it had “taken steps to improve the review process and analysis of potential quality and safety issues with our vehicles.”
Under federal regulations, after a manufacturer discovers a safety problem it has five business days to tell NHTSA of its plan for a recall or face civil penalties. According to NHTSA, Volvo failed to report all seven recalls in a timely fashion. The agency can fine an automaker up to $17.35 million, an amount consumer safety advocates commonly equate to only a “rounding error” for automakers.
According to a recent report by The Detroit News, that amount would double if a new transportation bill is enacted. But it should be noted that such punitive measures are rarely levied. NHTSA levied a $3 million civil penalty against BMW in February for failing to notify it promptly of plans to recall nearly 340,000 vehicles in 2010. Previously, in May 2010, Toyota agreed to pay $16.4 million to settle claims that it did not promptly act to correct sticking accelerator pedals on 2.3 million vehicles.
Source: New York Times
- Applesbee’s Settles Alcohol-Related Lawsuit
- The Barron-Beasley Road Bill Passes
- Victims sue lawyer-driver in motor vehicle crash
- Hurricane Rita bus fire cases settled
- Jury returns $19 million verdict in airplane crash case
- Pilots in crashes failed multiple tests
- FAA inspector predicted danger before Buffalo crash
- High court overturns worker’s $5 million award
- Supreme Court allows derailment lawsuit against railroad to proceed
- Flight nurse’s family sues over fatal helicopter crash
- Crash of Continental commuter plane raises safety issues
- The family of victims in a Mexican bus crash file suit
- $3.1 million awarded in drunk driving death case
- NTSB says American Air maintenance led to jet fire
- ASA grounds jets for inspections
- Family injured in New Jersey car crash is awarded $17 million
- Trucker who waved car onto highway was at fault in New Jersey crash
- $13.7 million awarded in South Barrington crash lawsuit
- Woman run over by bus is awarded $27.5 million
- Jere Beasley Report, April 2013
- Alabama to Receive $1,039,078 in Multi-State Settlement
- COSTCO Recalls Gold Coast Crab Dip
- Major Banks Assist In Payday Loans Banned By States
- Marc McHenry Hired As Investigator
- We Have Allowed A Culture Of Violence To Be Created In The U.S.
- Parting Words
- Closing Observations
- Favorite Bible Verses
- WSFA News Defenders Interviews
- Beasley Allen Hosts The Child Safety Helmet Giveaway
- SPLC Looks At How Payday And Title Loans Prey On Alabama’s Poorest
- Employee Spotlights
- Natura Pet Expands Recall Of Dry Pet Foods
- Winn-Dixie Recalls Organic Apple Juice On Mold Fears
- Manda Packing Recalling 468,000 Pounds Of Meat
- Carter’s Recalls Infant Clothings With Zippers Due To Choking Hazard
- I want to be involved in this lawsuit. I was a 3rd key making $8.25 per hour wi...
- Great to find a site like this that informs us of what our tax dollars are payin...
- can you please emaik me a copy of your article on april 16th wells fargo suid f...
- ALL OF THESE STORIES ARE SIMILAR AND ALMOAT THE SAME IN TIME FRAMES. FOR TWO YEA...
- they tried forexloaing on my home with a fraudulent note. how do I know that? I ...
- Yes, Sharon, we were aware of the button... however, it didn't work. Took it to...
- When would we get paid?...
- Would like to know how much longer will it be before we get paid....