Posts Tagged ‘Negligence’
Gulf Coast Disaster - Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:19 - 0 Comments
As has been widely publicized, BP has settled all federal criminal charges with the Department of Justice. The total payments under the settlement will be $4.5 billion. The majority of that money goes to a group of federal agencies which in turn could send it back to the Gulf Coast. As expected, Louisiana will be the biggest beneficiary. When, where and how the money gets distributed remains to be seen, but it should be noted this is just an initial payment on the total amount owed by BP for its role in the catastrophe.
The bigger money yet to come will be in civil penalties BP faces for violations of the federal Clean Water Act and Oil Pollution Act, with estimates ranging from $5.4 billion to $22 billion. The difference depends on whether BP is guilty of simple negligence – at a fine of $1,000 for every barrel of oil spilled – or of gross negligence, which carries a fine of $4,300 per barrel. It is that money which will flow to the Gulf Coast by way of the Restore Act, the federal legislation approved by Congress and signed into law by President Obama in July. According to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, the government is in negotiation with BP to resolve all of the civil claims, with a trial set for February in New Orleans.
The $4.5 billion settlement breaks down as follows: $2.4 billion to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, which said it will use the money for environmental remediation on the Gulf Coast; $1.3 billion in criminal fines, which could go to the U.S. Coast Guard’s Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund; $525 million to the Securities and Exchange Commission to settle criminal charges that BP misled investors; and $350 million to the National Academy of Sciences, which said it will use the money to establish a new, 30-year program on human health and environmental protection in the Gulf of Mexico.
Exactly how the money will be divided among the states remains uncertain. Much of it will be paid out by BP over the next three to five years. Louisiana, which suffered the brunt of environmental damage from the spill, will receive the biggest share of proceeds from the criminal penalties. I hope the Attorney General will be tough in the negotiations with BP on the civil fines. He should have a very strong position since BP’s conduct clearly rises to the level of gross negligence.
- Mother Of Child Sues Apartment Complex
- Jury Finds Town Responsible In Boy’s Drowning
- Parents Allowed To Sue College In Son’s Death
- Jury Awards $89 Million In Plane Crash Case
- Family Settles Suit Against Nursing Homes
- Common Investor Claims Against Stockbrokers
- Pharmacy may be liable for failure to warn
- Jury finds San Diego gas and electric at fault in helicopter crash
- Vermont’s $183 million Ambassador insurance judgment upheld on appeal
- Jury awards $8.6 million in SUV rollover
- Jury awards woman $1.25 million in her mortgage-related lawsuit
- $10 million verdict upheld against PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Woman Sues Colorado Amusement Park After Collision On A Ride
- U-Haul Must Pay $84 Million To Injured Man
- Louisiana Supreme Court Upholds Katrina Food Exclusions
- Patient Awarded $40 Million After Monitor Destroys Heart
- Polluters To Prosper While Consumers Pay The Bills
- It Took A Personal Encounter-But He Saw The Light
- Trucking Company To Pay $18 Million Settlement
- Jere Beasley Report, April 2013
- Marc McHenry Hired As Investigator
- Title Loans and Payday Loans are Bad News for Borrowers
- Alabama to Receive $1,039,078 in Multi-State Settlement
- COSTCO Recalls Gold Coast Crab Dip
- Major Banks Assist In Payday Loans Banned By States
- We Have Allowed A Culture Of Violence To Be Created In The U.S.
- Parting Words
- Closing Observations
- Favorite Bible Verses
- WSFA News Defenders Interviews
- Beasley Allen Hosts The Child Safety Helmet Giveaway
- SPLC Looks At How Payday And Title Loans Prey On Alabama’s Poorest
- Employee Spotlights
- Natura Pet Expands Recall Of Dry Pet Foods
- Winn-Dixie Recalls Organic Apple Juice On Mold Fears
- Manda Packing Recalling 468,000 Pounds Of Meat
- Carter’s Recalls Infant Clothings With Zippers Due To Choking Hazard
- The rate has now risen to over 6%...
- Its really not easy to payback any kind of loan, I always recommend all my frien...
- Same as above, with all the nightmares. I was Modifying with Wells Fargo and i s...
- I am shocked to see what I am reading - but not surprised. I installed Certain...
- I work as a store manager and i work 60 to ninety hours a weeks please tell me s...
- I wondered why i couldn't find him on the DPS website.
Tell Marc to contact me...
- I want to be involved in this lawsuit. I was a 3rd key making $8.25 per hour wi...
- Great to find a site like this that informs us of what our tax dollars are payin...