Posts Tagged ‘litigation’
Drug Manufacturer Fraud Litigation - Thursday, January 31, 2013 10:17 - 0 Comments
As we have periodically reported, our law firm continues to pursue litigation for the States of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Kansas, Utah, South Carolina, Hawaii and Alaska on their AWP (Average Wholesale Price) claims. Fortunately, since we have successfully tried a number of these cases, we are now settling these cases with numerous Defendants in the individual States. We are pleased to announce that the firm has obtained over $100 million in settlements over the past several months. We are also in the process of finalizing a number of settlements for the eight States listed above. To date, we have settled cases for over $700 million in the AWP litigation for the eight States we currently represent. We also have a $31 million judgment on appeal. At the time of this writing, we are awaiting a verdict on an AWP case in Mississippi.
These recent settlements vary in amounts depending upon the State’s usage of a particular company’s drugs in its Medicaid program. These settlements involve numerous companies, but each State’s claim is negotiated separate and independent of the claims of any other State. In addition, some States require attorney’s fees and costs to be completely separate negotiations. Therefore, these settlements can sometimes become very complex and complicated.
Our firm considers it a great honor to represent the Attorneys General in each of the eight States. It is also a tremendous responsibility to insure that each State’s claim is adequately compensated by the Defendants accused of falsely reporting prices to the State’s Medicaid Program. These cases have proven to be a tremendous public service for the citizens of each of the eight States we represent and will continue to represent until each State is fully compensated for the wrongdoing by the pharmaceutical companies to the State’s Medicaid Programs.
In addition to the pharmaceutical companies reporting false prices to the Medicaid Program, our firm is also handling litigation against a pharmaceutical wholesaler, McKesson, which increased prices an additional five percent on some 1900 different types of drugs. This occurred during a given time period that was within the same timeframe that the pharmaceutical companies were reporting false prices. We have recently settled with McKesson in the States of Kansas and Louisiana, but are still litigating in the States of Alaska and Hawaii.
As is evident, the above-listed States’ Medicaid Programs were severely taken advantage of in terms of the prices being reported by the pharmaceutical industry, and some wholesalers, during the years 1991-2010. As we have previously reported, these cases are just one example of why healthcare costs are spiraling out of control in this country. We believe these cases are a huge step in the right direction towards curing the abuse of inflated costs that we all must pay for in the healthcare industry.
We have AWP trials set in March, May, June, August, October and November for 2013, and equally as many in 2014. We will keep you posted on any new developments that occur with these cases by settlement or verdicts. If you need additional information on the AWP litigation, contact Dee Miles, who is heading up the litigation for our firm, at 800-898-2034 or by email at Dee.Miles@beasleyallen.com.
- Transocean Settles With The Federal Government For $1.4 Billion
- Judge Approves Medical Benefits Settlement
- Beasley Allen Conference Brings More Than 1,400 Lawyers To Montgomery
- Jill Cawley
- Settlements Reached In Hot Fuel Litigation
- Retailers Unhappy With Antitrust Settlement
- Wells Fargo Not Modifying Mortgages As Required
- Impact Of Predatory Lending On U.S. Households
- Aetna To Pay Up To $120 Million To Settle Case Over Payment Practices
- Supreme Court Hears Argument In Important Securities Class Action Case
- Fosamax Litigation Ready For Next Step In Bellwether Cases
- An Update On The Zoloft Litigation
- Hormone Therapy Litigation Update
- Navan Ward Appointed To PSC In Biomet Litigation
- Baylor University Medical Center Settles False Claims Act Charge
- An Italian Court Makes An Important Ruling
- The Cigarette Maker Reach Settlement With Several States
- Davita Dialysis Accused Of Massive Medicare Fraud
- Toyota Agrees To $25.5 Million U.S. Investor Lawsuit Settlement
- Jere Beasley Report, April 2013
- Alabama to Receive $1,039,078 in Multi-State Settlement
- COSTCO Recalls Gold Coast Crab Dip
- Major Banks Assist In Payday Loans Banned By States
- Marc McHenry Hired As Investigator
- We Have Allowed A Culture Of Violence To Be Created In The U.S.
- Parting Words
- Closing Observations
- Favorite Bible Verses
- WSFA News Defenders Interviews
- Beasley Allen Hosts The Child Safety Helmet Giveaway
- SPLC Looks At How Payday And Title Loans Prey On Alabama’s Poorest
- Employee Spotlights
- Natura Pet Expands Recall Of Dry Pet Foods
- Winn-Dixie Recalls Organic Apple Juice On Mold Fears
- Manda Packing Recalling 468,000 Pounds Of Meat
- Carter’s Recalls Infant Clothings With Zippers Due To Choking Hazard
- I want to be involved in this lawsuit. I was a 3rd key making $8.25 per hour wi...
- Great to find a site like this that informs us of what our tax dollars are payin...
- can you please emaik me a copy of your article on april 16th wells fargo suid f...
- ALL OF THESE STORIES ARE SIMILAR AND ALMOAT THE SAME IN TIME FRAMES. FOR TWO YEA...
- they tried forexloaing on my home with a fraudulent note. how do I know that? I ...
- Yes, Sharon, we were aware of the button... however, it didn't work. Took it to...
- When would we get paid?...
- Would like to know how much longer will it be before we get paid....