Posts Tagged ‘Judge Eldon Fallon’
Mass Torts Update - Wednesday, November 19, 2008 14:58 - 0 Comments
Florida has now joined eight other states by suing Merck & Co. over what the state alleges was deceptive marketing of Vioxx. In the lawsuit brought by Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum, the state is seeking restitution for all money spent by state health programs on Vioxx, plus interest. Florida’s Medicaid program alone spent more than $80 million on Vioxx between 1999 and 2004. The lawsuit alleges that “Merck’s costly promotional campaign was intended to convince purchasers that the drug was not only safe, but that they should demand it from their healthcare professionals for pain treatment.” The suit also seeks civil penalties of up to $10,000 for each time that Merck’s advertising caused a Vioxx purchase to be made, an amount that a court would have to determine. Interestingly, the Florida Attorney General says: “The company also allegedly tried to intimidate physicians and researchers who questioned the safety of Vioxx.”
Alaska, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, New York, Texas and Utah have previously brought similar suits, as has New York City. Except for the Texas case, all those suits currently are pending in New Orleans under U.S. District Judge Eldon Fallon, who is overseeing the bulk of the massive Vioxx litigation. None of these cases will have any effect on the global settlement that our firm reached with Merck.
Source: Associated Press
- The Role of a Trial Lawyer
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Sandy Hook Families File Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- GM Recalls Vehicles For Headlight Problem
- Daiichi Sankyo Agrees to Pay $39 Million to Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit
- District Court Sanctions Ghostwriting Of Expert Reports
- IIHS List Of Safest Cars Grows Amid Record Recalls In The U.S.
- NHTSA Needs Adequate Resources To Do Its Job
- Former NHTSA Employees Join Takata Air Bag Defect Panel
- BMW Will Replace Airbags Nationwide
- GM Recalls 83,000 SUVs And Trucks For Faulty Ignitions
- GM Gets 108 More Claims For Defective Ignition Switch Compensation
- Koch Brothers Set $889 Million Budget For Lead-Up To 2016
- Whistleblower Wins Supreme Court Ruling
- Pfizer Pays $400 Million To End Shareholder Suit
- Study Author Says Autism Risk Linked To Chemicals
- Multi-State Dog Fighting Ring Ordered To Pay $2 Million Restitution
- i don' know where is the form to fill up
- do i need to fill up the form
claim UJT-10073675001 Johnson vs USCB...
- sending this in hope for that you receive this and respond . Do I need to fill o...
- I recently saw an episode of BAR on WSFA regarding trying to get the legislature...
- I have a 2004 F150 Lariat crew cab. Driving home from work in 2011 (cold weather...
- In 2005 August 12th my husband commited suicide after being on Lexapro. I notice...
- Anthony Franco, the last part of your paragraph is absolutely not true, the new ...
- I have been searching for something like this ... I have worked 50 to 65 hours p...