Posts Tagged ‘Judge Eldon Fallon’
Mass Torts Update - Wednesday, November 19, 2008 14:58 - 0 Comments
Florida has now joined eight other states by suing Merck & Co. over what the state alleges was deceptive marketing of Vioxx. In the lawsuit brought by Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum, the state is seeking restitution for all money spent by state health programs on Vioxx, plus interest. Florida’s Medicaid program alone spent more than $80 million on Vioxx between 1999 and 2004. The lawsuit alleges that “Merck’s costly promotional campaign was intended to convince purchasers that the drug was not only safe, but that they should demand it from their healthcare professionals for pain treatment.” The suit also seeks civil penalties of up to $10,000 for each time that Merck’s advertising caused a Vioxx purchase to be made, an amount that a court would have to determine. Interestingly, the Florida Attorney General says: “The company also allegedly tried to intimidate physicians and researchers who questioned the safety of Vioxx.”
Alaska, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, New York, Texas and Utah have previously brought similar suits, as has New York City. Except for the Texas case, all those suits currently are pending in New Orleans under U.S. District Judge Eldon Fallon, who is overseeing the bulk of the massive Vioxx litigation. None of these cases will have any effect on the global settlement that our firm reached with Merck.
Source: Associated Press
- Continental Recalls 8,070 Motorcycle Tires
- Deepwater Horizon Economic Settlement Program Trying to Make Up for Lost Time
- A Report On A Deadly Chemical Leak At A Site In Texas
- Korean Automakers Hyundai And Kia Agree To Record U.S. Settlement For Mileage Fraud
- General Motors Is Sued By Arizona For $3 Billion Over Recalls
- Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed Against General Motors
- NHTSA Probes Honda Accord Power Steering Issues
- NHTSA Fines Ferrari $3.5 Million Over Safety Reports
- AutoNation Halts Sales Of Used Cars In Air Bag Recalls
- Audi Air Bags May Not Fire When Ready
- Honda Repair Deal In Faulty Side Air Bag Class Action
- Honda Failed To Report 1,729 Deaths And Injuries Since 2003
- Obama Nominates Mark Rosekind To Lead NHTSA
- NHTSA Probes Honda’s Reporting Of Defective Air Bags
- Dear Sir: i am about to take a case against VW to a Federal Court Jury trial in ...
- 2004 350 6.0 Powerstrike diesel Navistar engine. PLEASE advise on how to be par...
- This recall is a night mare. One week after purchasing new tires back in August...
- We recently lost our home to foreclosure by Flagstar. After months of applying ...
- Safety starts at the top of an organization. This takes management commitment, w...
- I also lost my home to foreclosure due to Flagstar's failure to process my reque...
- The judge in the case has to approve any settlement terms. Don't hold your brea...
- I have a 2004 f250 perestroika diesel I baught the truck 2 years ago and ran fin...