Posts Tagged ‘Judge Eldon Fallon’
Mass Torts Update - Wednesday, November 19, 2008 14:58 - 0 Comments
Florida has now joined eight other states by suing Merck & Co. over what the state alleges was deceptive marketing of Vioxx. In the lawsuit brought by Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum, the state is seeking restitution for all money spent by state health programs on Vioxx, plus interest. Florida’s Medicaid program alone spent more than $80 million on Vioxx between 1999 and 2004. The lawsuit alleges that “Merck’s costly promotional campaign was intended to convince purchasers that the drug was not only safe, but that they should demand it from their healthcare professionals for pain treatment.” The suit also seeks civil penalties of up to $10,000 for each time that Merck’s advertising caused a Vioxx purchase to be made, an amount that a court would have to determine. Interestingly, the Florida Attorney General says: “The company also allegedly tried to intimidate physicians and researchers who questioned the safety of Vioxx.”
Alaska, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, New York, Texas and Utah have previously brought similar suits, as has New York City. Except for the Texas case, all those suits currently are pending in New Orleans under U.S. District Judge Eldon Fallon, who is overseeing the bulk of the massive Vioxx litigation. None of these cases will have any effect on the global settlement that our firm reached with Merck.
Source: Associated Press
- The Selma March
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Daiichi Sankyo Agrees to Pay $39 Million to Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit
- Aging and Dangerous Tires On Our School Buses
- District Court Sanctions Ghostwriting Of Expert Reports
- Cosco Recalls Convertible Hand Trucks Due To Injury Hazard
- Class Action Sought For Toyota's Electric Power Steering Defect
- The Melton Case Settles
- Is Jeep's Fire Hazard Equivalent to GM's Ignition Switch Defect?
- A $24 Million Verdict in an Alabama Balcony Collapse Case
- Honda Adds 105,000 Vehicles To Its U.S. Recall
- The Takata Airbag Saga Continues To Expand
- Investors Have Sued GM Directors Over The Faulty Ignitions
- “New GM” Ignition MDL Claims Now Under Home States’ Laws
- Judge In GM Ignition Switch MDL Urges Settlement Talks
- U.S. Supreme Court Reverses Alabama Redistricting Ruling
- The Lasting Effects Of Bloody Sunday
- Ford Recalls 221,000 Police Vehicles, Ambulances And Hearses
- Kia Recalls 209,000 Soul Vehicles For Accelerator Defect
- NHTSA Investigates Nissan Air Bag Fix As Complaints Increase
- Nissan Recalls 640,000 Altima Sedans
- The Amarillo Texas Smelter which operated from 1899 to current as a refinery has...
- Do NOT disconnect the battery! Under the steering column is a cap, flush with th...
- By the way that was for Johnson v. USCB Claims Adminitrator....
- I just received my claim form today April 17th 2015. And it had to be post marke...
- I have Organic Shingles that are failing and are not 10 years old. Can i sue Ce...
- My 2005 F-150 has only 47,000 miles and ready replaced all 4 regulators...
- It's funny sometimes how God uses others; I was reading some of the people's fav...
- Very happily surprised to find bible verses in this newsletter. Thank you for th...