Posts Tagged ‘Judge Eldon Fallon’
Mass Torts Update - Wednesday, November 19, 2008 14:58 - 0 Comments
Florida has now joined eight other states by suing Merck & Co. over what the state alleges was deceptive marketing of Vioxx. In the lawsuit brought by Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum, the state is seeking restitution for all money spent by state health programs on Vioxx, plus interest. Florida’s Medicaid program alone spent more than $80 million on Vioxx between 1999 and 2004. The lawsuit alleges that “Merck’s costly promotional campaign was intended to convince purchasers that the drug was not only safe, but that they should demand it from their healthcare professionals for pain treatment.” The suit also seeks civil penalties of up to $10,000 for each time that Merck’s advertising caused a Vioxx purchase to be made, an amount that a court would have to determine. Interestingly, the Florida Attorney General says: “The company also allegedly tried to intimidate physicians and researchers who questioned the safety of Vioxx.”
Alaska, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, New York, Texas and Utah have previously brought similar suits, as has New York City. Except for the Texas case, all those suits currently are pending in New Orleans under U.S. District Judge Eldon Fallon, who is overseeing the bulk of the massive Vioxx litigation. None of these cases will have any effect on the global settlement that our firm reached with Merck.
Source: Associated Press
- GM Recalls Vehicles For Headlight Problem
- Daiichi Sankyo Agrees to Pay $39 Million to Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit
- Aging and Dangerous Tires On Our School Buses
- District Court Sanctions Ghostwriting Of Expert Reports
- The Selma March
- Cosco Recalls Convertible Hand Trucks Due To Injury Hazard
- Class Action Sought For Toyota's Electric Power Steering Defect
- Parting Words
- Monthly Reminders
- Former Alabama Governor Albert P. Brewer
- House To House Ministry
- Beasley Allen Accounting Department Keeps Watch Over Firm Finances
- Sandy Jacob Eiland
- Lauren Buettner
- Soo Seok Yang
- Kendall Dunson
- Recall For Texas-Based Blue Bell Ice Cream Products Expanded
- Spinrite Recalls Bernat Tizzy Yarn Due To Entanglement Hazard
- Claim# UJT-102914590001-167942 how do I file...
- year correction on previous post, should be April 1, 2015....
- 2008 Ford King ranch 37K mileage, original owner. Few months ago sun/moon roof ...
- My sister was a healthy 46 yr. Woman she started having some chest pain and the ...
- I had the driver one replaced 4/29/2013 and now the passenger front went Saturda...
- i received hand cart replacement parts...
- I have a 2004 f150 crew cab front passenger window is up and won't come down so...
- I have a 2004 E350 6.0 diesel that I bought from a company called Sports mobile ...