Posts Tagged ‘Fraud’
Fraud, Insurance and Finance Update - Thursday, May 2, 2013 10:24 - 0 Comments
A federal court jury in Mississippi has found that State Farm Fire and Casualty Co. avoided covering a policyholder’s wind losses by blaming the damage on storm surge, which is covered by federal flood insurance. The verdict came in a whistleblower lawsuit filed against the insurer over its handling of Hurricane Katrina claims. State Farm has indicated that it will appeal. The lawsuit was filed by Cori and Kerri Rigsby of Ocean Springs, Miss. They once worked for Alabama-based E.A. Renfroe, a company State Farm contracted to provide damages assessments after the hurricane.
This verdict could open the gate for examination of thousands of post-Katrina flood claims State Farm adjusted and paid before reimbursement by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). While the sisters had pursued cases for a number of policyholders, a federal judge in Mississippi limited the initial phase of the case to one State Farm claim — that of Thomas and Pamela McIntosh, whose Biloxi home was lost to the storm — because the sisters have firsthand knowledge of how it was adjusted. The Justice Department was not involved in the case.
Evidence at the trial was that State Farm paid policy limits of $250,000 for flood damage to the house, even though wind covered under the insurance company’s policy was responsible for the loss. The jury decided State Farm overcharged NFIP the full $250,000. The verdict means State Farm will repay the $250,000, and also must pay additional damages to be determined. The Rigsbys, as whistleblowers, are entitled to a share of any recovered money. They filed the lawsuit under the federal False Claims Act on the government’s behalf because they discovered the fraud. By charging the National Flood Insurance Program for the loss, State Farm minimized what it owed for wind damage. The company initially paid $36,000 for wind damage on a policy that provided more than $500,000 in coverage. The Rigsbys are represented by August Matties, who did a very good job in the case.
Source: The Sun Herald
- Trial For BP Shareholders’ Suit Over Gulf Spill Claims Set For 2014
- Preserving Whistleblower Claims
- Title Loans and Payday Loans are Bad News for Borrowers
- Insurance Agent Wins Fraud Case Against Farmers
- Merck Settles Vytorin Suit
- US Accuses Standard & Poor Agency of Fraud
- $12.6 Million Award in Whistleblower Lawsuit
- Wisconsin Appeals Court Affirms $16 Million AWP Verdict
- Are Power Wheelchair Companies Ripping Off The Government
- Nestle Sued Again For Falsely Representing Bottled Tap Water As Naturally Spring-Sourced
- Identity Theft And Fraud Is Big Business In The South
- Pattern Of Fraud Brings Down Goodyear
- Former Shaw Group Safety Manager Convicted Of Major Fraud
- Nationwide Settles Harleysville Policyholder Class Action For $26 Million
- Ashley Pugh
- Tabitha McGuire
- Valerie Scroggins
- Developments In The Bernard Madoff Saga
- An Update On The Medicaid Fraud Litigation
- Jere Beasley Report, April 2013
- Alabama to Receive $1,039,078 in Multi-State Settlement
- COSTCO Recalls Gold Coast Crab Dip
- Major Banks Assist In Payday Loans Banned By States
- Marc McHenry Hired As Investigator
- We Have Allowed A Culture Of Violence To Be Created In The U.S.
- Parting Words
- Closing Observations
- Favorite Bible Verses
- WSFA News Defenders Interviews
- Beasley Allen Hosts The Child Safety Helmet Giveaway
- SPLC Looks At How Payday And Title Loans Prey On Alabama’s Poorest
- Employee Spotlights
- Natura Pet Expands Recall Of Dry Pet Foods
- Winn-Dixie Recalls Organic Apple Juice On Mold Fears
- Manda Packing Recalling 468,000 Pounds Of Meat
- Carter’s Recalls Infant Clothings With Zippers Due To Choking Hazard
- I want to be involved in this lawsuit. I was a 3rd key making $8.25 per hour wi...
- Great to find a site like this that informs us of what our tax dollars are payin...
- can you please emaik me a copy of your article on april 16th wells fargo suid f...
- ALL OF THESE STORIES ARE SIMILAR AND ALMOAT THE SAME IN TIME FRAMES. FOR TWO YEA...
- they tried forexloaing on my home with a fraudulent note. how do I know that? I ...
- Yes, Sharon, we were aware of the button... however, it didn't work. Took it to...
- When would we get paid?...
- Would like to know how much longer will it be before we get paid....