Posts Tagged ‘FEMA’
Liability, Premises Liability - Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:19 - 0 Comments
The City of West, Texas, has filed a lawsuit against the owner of the fertilizer plant that was the site of an explosion in April that resulted in 15 deaths and tens of millions in property damage. Also named in the lawsuit is CF Industries, the manufacturer of the ammonium nitrate that fueled the blast. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has turned down the request by the State of Texas for a major disaster declaration, which would have allowed federal funds to rebuild a destroyed school and damaged utility infrastructure. The city estimates that it has more than $17 million in uninsured losses from the explosion and seeks an unspecified amount of damages from the Defendants.
Senator Barbara Boxer, D-California, is working in the Senate to strengthen oversight of facilities that handle and store large amounts of ammonium nitrate. A U.S. Senate Committee headed by Sen. Boxer is probing regulatory agencies regarding oversight lapses. As our readers may already know, ammonium nitrate has explosive potential under the right conditions. Sen. Boxer has called on the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to immediately amend its risk management program to include such reactive chemicals on the list of hazardous substances that require procedures and safeguards to minimize the risk of explosion.
According to Dr. M. Sam Mannan, a Texas A&M chemical engineering professor, the disaster could have been prevented if the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) had inspected the fertilizer plant and found it was not in compliance with its regulations on storing explosive chemicals. Among the requirements were sprinkler systems and fire walls separating the chemicals from combustible materials. West Fertilizer had neither.
In the city’s lawsuit, it’s claimed the ammonium nitrate, manufactured by CF Industries, “was unreasonably dangerous and defective” and that West Fertilizer was negligent in safely storing the chemical. A statement issued by the manufacturer said the company will seek dismissal of the lawsuit.
- FEMA Toxic Trailer Settlements Approved
- Toxic mobile home claims settled
- Children From FEMA Trailer Park Battle Serious Health Problems
- High cost of FEMA Advisors is Outrageous
- FEMA not immune from toxic trailer suits
- A look at cases to be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court
- Leaking underground FEMA fuel tanks
- State Of Washington Will Pay $2.25 Million For Shooting Spree
- Mass Tort Update
- Katrina Victims Sue FEMA Over Fumes In Trailers
- CitiGroup To Settle Smith Barney Bias Lawsuit For $33 Million
- FEMA Has Been A National Disaster
- An Oil Prince Buys A $2.7 Million Camel
- Trucking Company To Pay $18 Million Settlement
- Trucking Companies Agrees To $18 Million Settlement
- Revamped Vehicle Rating Program Still Has Glaring Omissions
- Children In Katrina Trailers May Face Lifelong Ailments
- $24 Million Awarded in Seat Belt Lawsuit
- IMMI Has no Concern for Safety
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- The Travis Grant Story Is A Good One
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Petition Seeks To Block CarMax Sales Of Unrepaired Recalled Cars
- NHTSA Is Looking Into Reports Of Exhaust Fumes In Ford SUVs
- Documents Show GM Delayed Recall Over Brake Lights
- NHTSA Probes 1.3 Million Chrysler Vehicles Over Ignition Switches
- Thirty Years Of GM Litigation Tactics Using Deception To Protect Profits Over Safety
- General Motors First Halts Sales Of Cruze Sedan And Then Orders Recall
- GM Tells NHTSA It Knew Of Other Ignition Problem In 2007
- GM Safety Crisis Grows As Recalls Mount
- The Top 15 Auto Safety Watch List Is Created
- Cinmar Agrees To $3.1 Million Civil Penalty
- Americans Are Using Skin-Care Ingredients That Are Banned In Other Countries
- My fiance only received 38.00 and I know for sure he was over drafted by hundred...
- This is a big joke i only got 90$ in my account and what happen when they say th...
- Ford F150 Lariat with less than 32K miles. At this time I am having the fourth w...
- I only received 9.58!!!! WOW!!! On July 29th...
- It appears my Chevy HHR 2010 with less than 60,000 has front wheel bearing. Ove...
- Oh wow, 12 million dollars awarded, I got a settlement check for 27 dollars, mor...
- Why I only got $ 9.58 & all the rich got big checks , I shouldn't have to se...
- Who negotiated these terms? Really?!! Nineteen dollars. I think I want to sue...