Posts Tagged ‘FEMA’
Liability, Premises Liability - Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:19 - 0 Comments
The City of West, Texas, has filed a lawsuit against the owner of the fertilizer plant that was the site of an explosion in April that resulted in 15 deaths and tens of millions in property damage. Also named in the lawsuit is CF Industries, the manufacturer of the ammonium nitrate that fueled the blast. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has turned down the request by the State of Texas for a major disaster declaration, which would have allowed federal funds to rebuild a destroyed school and damaged utility infrastructure. The city estimates that it has more than $17 million in uninsured losses from the explosion and seeks an unspecified amount of damages from the Defendants.
Senator Barbara Boxer, D-California, is working in the Senate to strengthen oversight of facilities that handle and store large amounts of ammonium nitrate. A U.S. Senate Committee headed by Sen. Boxer is probing regulatory agencies regarding oversight lapses. As our readers may already know, ammonium nitrate has explosive potential under the right conditions. Sen. Boxer has called on the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to immediately amend its risk management program to include such reactive chemicals on the list of hazardous substances that require procedures and safeguards to minimize the risk of explosion.
According to Dr. M. Sam Mannan, a Texas A&M chemical engineering professor, the disaster could have been prevented if the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) had inspected the fertilizer plant and found it was not in compliance with its regulations on storing explosive chemicals. Among the requirements were sprinkler systems and fire walls separating the chemicals from combustible materials. West Fertilizer had neither.
In the city’s lawsuit, it’s claimed the ammonium nitrate, manufactured by CF Industries, “was unreasonably dangerous and defective” and that West Fertilizer was negligent in safely storing the chemical. A statement issued by the manufacturer said the company will seek dismissal of the lawsuit.
- FEMA Toxic Trailer Settlements Approved
- Toxic mobile home claims settled
- Children From FEMA Trailer Park Battle Serious Health Problems
- High cost of FEMA Advisors is Outrageous
- FEMA not immune from toxic trailer suits
- A look at cases to be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court
- Leaking underground FEMA fuel tanks
- State Of Washington Will Pay $2.25 Million For Shooting Spree
- Mass Tort Update
- Katrina Victims Sue FEMA Over Fumes In Trailers
- CitiGroup To Settle Smith Barney Bias Lawsuit For $33 Million
- FEMA Has Been A National Disaster
- An Oil Prince Buys A $2.7 Million Camel
- Trucking Company To Pay $18 Million Settlement
- Trucking Companies Agrees To $18 Million Settlement
- Revamped Vehicle Rating Program Still Has Glaring Omissions
- Children In Katrina Trailers May Face Lifelong Ailments
- $24 Million Awarded in Seat Belt Lawsuit
- IMMI Has no Concern for Safety
- Favorite Bible Verses
- More Info on the Xarelto Litigation
- BP Is Trying To Keep A Jury From Hearing Alabama's Case
- An Update on the State of Alabama's Case Against BP
- Regions Fined $7.5 Million For Breaking Overdraft Rules And Will Refund $49 Million To Customers
- Jere Beasley Report, July 2015
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Transvaginal Mesh Litigation Update
- Chinese Tires – Buyer Beware!
- Lawmakers Reintroduce Arbitration Fairness Act
- Whistleblower Lawsuit Investigates Outsourcing Companies for Foreign Worker Fraud
- State of Alabama Making Progress in Case Against BP
- NHTSA Failed Its Mission In GM Probes
- Parting Words
- The Persons Who Cheated Cancer Patients Should Be Put In Jail
- Some Monthly Reminders
- when will the $53 million be distributed or has it already been done and I've be...
- Having same issues with lots of granular loss, lots of it. They are Horizon, ins...
- Hello Ms. Jackson,
Try visiting the following page on the Tennessee Departmen...
- I would like more information on this topic. Why are they having so much troubl...
- Worked at sun shipbuilding and dry dock company as a machinist
Worked at genera...
- We just had our roof inspected because of a storm that came through for damage, ...
- I am the original owner of a 2006 HHR. It makes me sad to know that I will proba...
- To Whom it may concern
My 2004 Ford F150 Driver's side Window went down last ...