Posts Tagged ‘FEMA’
Liability, Premises Liability - Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:19 - 0 Comments
The City of West, Texas, has filed a lawsuit against the owner of the fertilizer plant that was the site of an explosion in April that resulted in 15 deaths and tens of millions in property damage. Also named in the lawsuit is CF Industries, the manufacturer of the ammonium nitrate that fueled the blast. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has turned down the request by the State of Texas for a major disaster declaration, which would have allowed federal funds to rebuild a destroyed school and damaged utility infrastructure. The city estimates that it has more than $17 million in uninsured losses from the explosion and seeks an unspecified amount of damages from the Defendants.
Senator Barbara Boxer, D-California, is working in the Senate to strengthen oversight of facilities that handle and store large amounts of ammonium nitrate. A U.S. Senate Committee headed by Sen. Boxer is probing regulatory agencies regarding oversight lapses. As our readers may already know, ammonium nitrate has explosive potential under the right conditions. Sen. Boxer has called on the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to immediately amend its risk management program to include such reactive chemicals on the list of hazardous substances that require procedures and safeguards to minimize the risk of explosion.
According to Dr. M. Sam Mannan, a Texas A&M chemical engineering professor, the disaster could have been prevented if the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) had inspected the fertilizer plant and found it was not in compliance with its regulations on storing explosive chemicals. Among the requirements were sprinkler systems and fire walls separating the chemicals from combustible materials. West Fertilizer had neither.
In the city’s lawsuit, it’s claimed the ammonium nitrate, manufactured by CF Industries, “was unreasonably dangerous and defective” and that West Fertilizer was negligent in safely storing the chemical. A statement issued by the manufacturer said the company will seek dismissal of the lawsuit.
- FEMA Toxic Trailer Settlements Approved
- Toxic mobile home claims settled
- Children From FEMA Trailer Park Battle Serious Health Problems
- High cost of FEMA Advisors is Outrageous
- FEMA not immune from toxic trailer suits
- A look at cases to be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court
- Leaking underground FEMA fuel tanks
- State Of Washington Will Pay $2.25 Million For Shooting Spree
- Mass Tort Update
- Katrina Victims Sue FEMA Over Fumes In Trailers
- CitiGroup To Settle Smith Barney Bias Lawsuit For $33 Million
- FEMA Has Been A National Disaster
- An Oil Prince Buys A $2.7 Million Camel
- Trucking Company To Pay $18 Million Settlement
- Trucking Companies Agrees To $18 Million Settlement
- Revamped Vehicle Rating Program Still Has Glaring Omissions
- Children In Katrina Trailers May Face Lifelong Ailments
- $24 Million Awarded in Seat Belt Lawsuit
- IMMI Has no Concern for Safety
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- Favorite Bible Verses
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- J&J Pays Oregon $4 Million To Settle Hip Implant Marketing Claims
- Jere Beasley Report, October 2014
- Favorite Bible Verses
- OSHA Revises Worker Injury Reporting Requirements
- Judge Upholds $9 Billion Actos Damage Award Against Takeda and Lilly
- The Goodyear Dunlop D402 Harley Davidson Tire
- Are Physician-Owned Distributorships Anti-Kickback Traps?
- Judge Barbier Finds BP Grossly Negligent, Exposing Oil Giant to Billions More in Penalties
- GM’s Efforts to Stall Discovery Fail
- EPA Should Update Fracking Pollution Regulations
- Deepwater Fracking Raises Environmental Concerns
- $27.8 Million Settlement Finalized In TVA Coal Ash Spill
- wells fargo I think has fraud a hud partial claim i was supposed to be on,thin...
- I have a 2005 Ford F150 crew cab. This is the third window in which window regul...
- These tires are on my 2000 Georgie Boy motorhome and have 23,000 miles on them. ...
- Attn: Art Jackson We are opposed to the hog farm being constructed on ...
- I would like to join the class action lawsuit against the Ford Motor Company reg...
- Glad to be getting closure I go into dollar general and spend 10 dollars every o...
- Was just wondering if you can still be in this lawsuit. I was a manager for 8 yr...