Posts Tagged ‘FEMA’
Liability, Premises Liability - Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:19 - 0 Comments
The City of West, Texas, has filed a lawsuit against the owner of the fertilizer plant that was the site of an explosion in April that resulted in 15 deaths and tens of millions in property damage. Also named in the lawsuit is CF Industries, the manufacturer of the ammonium nitrate that fueled the blast. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has turned down the request by the State of Texas for a major disaster declaration, which would have allowed federal funds to rebuild a destroyed school and damaged utility infrastructure. The city estimates that it has more than $17 million in uninsured losses from the explosion and seeks an unspecified amount of damages from the Defendants.
Senator Barbara Boxer, D-California, is working in the Senate to strengthen oversight of facilities that handle and store large amounts of ammonium nitrate. A U.S. Senate Committee headed by Sen. Boxer is probing regulatory agencies regarding oversight lapses. As our readers may already know, ammonium nitrate has explosive potential under the right conditions. Sen. Boxer has called on the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to immediately amend its risk management program to include such reactive chemicals on the list of hazardous substances that require procedures and safeguards to minimize the risk of explosion.
According to Dr. M. Sam Mannan, a Texas A&M chemical engineering professor, the disaster could have been prevented if the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) had inspected the fertilizer plant and found it was not in compliance with its regulations on storing explosive chemicals. Among the requirements were sprinkler systems and fire walls separating the chemicals from combustible materials. West Fertilizer had neither.
In the city’s lawsuit, it’s claimed the ammonium nitrate, manufactured by CF Industries, “was unreasonably dangerous and defective” and that West Fertilizer was negligent in safely storing the chemical. A statement issued by the manufacturer said the company will seek dismissal of the lawsuit.
- FEMA Toxic Trailer Settlements Approved
- Toxic mobile home claims settled
- Children From FEMA Trailer Park Battle Serious Health Problems
- High cost of FEMA Advisors is Outrageous
- FEMA not immune from toxic trailer suits
- A look at cases to be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court
- Leaking underground FEMA fuel tanks
- State Of Washington Will Pay $2.25 Million For Shooting Spree
- Mass Tort Update
- Katrina Victims Sue FEMA Over Fumes In Trailers
- CitiGroup To Settle Smith Barney Bias Lawsuit For $33 Million
- FEMA Has Been A National Disaster
- An Oil Prince Buys A $2.7 Million Camel
- Trucking Company To Pay $18 Million Settlement
- Trucking Companies Agrees To $18 Million Settlement
- Revamped Vehicle Rating Program Still Has Glaring Omissions
- Children In Katrina Trailers May Face Lifelong Ailments
- $24 Million Awarded in Seat Belt Lawsuit
- IMMI Has no Concern for Safety
- $3.3 Million Verdict Against TRW In Faulty Air Bag Lawsuit
- Deepwater Horizon Economic Settlement Program Trying to Make Up for Lost Time
- An Explanation of How Beasley Allen is Structured
- The Eighth Annual Beasley Allen Legal Conference
- More On Ionization Smoke Detectors
- NHTSA Considers Vehicle Electronics Rule
- Continental Recalls 170,000 Defective Motorcycle Tires
- Virginia Woman Paralyzed In Miata Car Crash Awarded $20 Million
- Bessemer Jury Returns $9.9 Million Verdict In Mazda Fire Case
- Defrauding The Military Is All Too Common
- JPMorgan Fined $78 Million By The European Commission
- $28 Million Verdict Upheld In Wyoming Carbon Monoxide Case
- Judge Vance Lifts Temporary Restraining Order Preventing Publication Of Alagasco Documents
- HI, just want to notify you of a change of address.
- Same thing happened too my 17 yr old in an 08 kia rio...
- I too was scammed by Flagstar Bank. I tried to get a modification on my mortgag...
- I have a 2004 F-150 XLT which I purchased new in Jan. 2004. The truck has only ...
- Deuy lawsuit. I have been reading , on internet, that lawsuits filed after Augu...
- Had to contact and comment on the MTD log splitter recall. There should be a sta...
- A couple month ago, 2010 Cobalt had ignition switch & keys replace per recal...
- trying to get a update on the lawsuite