Posts Tagged ‘FEMA’
Liability, Premises Liability - Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:19 - 0 Comments
The City of West, Texas, has filed a lawsuit against the owner of the fertilizer plant that was the site of an explosion in April that resulted in 15 deaths and tens of millions in property damage. Also named in the lawsuit is CF Industries, the manufacturer of the ammonium nitrate that fueled the blast. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has turned down the request by the State of Texas for a major disaster declaration, which would have allowed federal funds to rebuild a destroyed school and damaged utility infrastructure. The city estimates that it has more than $17 million in uninsured losses from the explosion and seeks an unspecified amount of damages from the Defendants.
Senator Barbara Boxer, D-California, is working in the Senate to strengthen oversight of facilities that handle and store large amounts of ammonium nitrate. A U.S. Senate Committee headed by Sen. Boxer is probing regulatory agencies regarding oversight lapses. As our readers may already know, ammonium nitrate has explosive potential under the right conditions. Sen. Boxer has called on the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to immediately amend its risk management program to include such reactive chemicals on the list of hazardous substances that require procedures and safeguards to minimize the risk of explosion.
According to Dr. M. Sam Mannan, a Texas A&M chemical engineering professor, the disaster could have been prevented if the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) had inspected the fertilizer plant and found it was not in compliance with its regulations on storing explosive chemicals. Among the requirements were sprinkler systems and fire walls separating the chemicals from combustible materials. West Fertilizer had neither.
In the city’s lawsuit, it’s claimed the ammonium nitrate, manufactured by CF Industries, “was unreasonably dangerous and defective” and that West Fertilizer was negligent in safely storing the chemical. A statement issued by the manufacturer said the company will seek dismissal of the lawsuit.
- FEMA Toxic Trailer Settlements Approved
- Toxic mobile home claims settled
- Children From FEMA Trailer Park Battle Serious Health Problems
- High cost of FEMA Advisors is Outrageous
- FEMA not immune from toxic trailer suits
- A look at cases to be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court
- Leaking underground FEMA fuel tanks
- State Of Washington Will Pay $2.25 Million For Shooting Spree
- Mass Tort Update
- Katrina Victims Sue FEMA Over Fumes In Trailers
- CitiGroup To Settle Smith Barney Bias Lawsuit For $33 Million
- FEMA Has Been A National Disaster
- An Oil Prince Buys A $2.7 Million Camel
- Trucking Company To Pay $18 Million Settlement
- Trucking Companies Agrees To $18 Million Settlement
- Revamped Vehicle Rating Program Still Has Glaring Omissions
- Children In Katrina Trailers May Face Lifelong Ailments
- $24 Million Awarded in Seat Belt Lawsuit
- IMMI Has no Concern for Safety
- JPMorgan And Assurant Settle Force-Placed Insurance Claims For $300 Million
- Toyota Sudden Unintended Acceleration Lawsuit Ends In Landmark Verdict
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Beasley Allen Legal Conference & Expo Set For November 21-22
- An Update on the BP Business Economic Loss Claims
- Parting Words
- Some Monthly Reminders
- Closing Observations
- Flynn Mozingo Receives Pro Bono Award
- Alabama Veteran Awarded Congressional Gold Medal
- Beasley Allen Provides Help For The Holidays
- More Than 2,000 Lawyers Pre-Registered For Seventh Annual Legal Conference In Montgomery
- Little Willy’s Recalls Hooded Sweatshirts Due To Strangulation Hazard
- American Boy And Girl Recalls Infant Sandals Due To Choking Hazard
- Children’s Pajamas Recalled By Babycottons
- L.L. Bean Girl’s Pajamas Recalled
- Look forward to the next update....
- I experience some of the same problems with Flagstar, how do we get a class acti...
- Ford 2005 F-150 Regulator Failure - My regulator failed on the passenger side fr...
- I LOST BOTH OF MY LITTLE DOGS, ONLY THING IVE' CHANGED WAS BUYING SOME JERKY TRE...
- JUST RECEIVED A NEW POLOCY, THE OTHER'S ALSO INCLUDED WERE OVER 1900 PER YEAR, "...
- I HAVE EMAILED EVERYONE GOVERNMENTWIE FOR HELP. SOME RESPOND. FIRST TIME AND CU...
- my name above, my address is 100 Maywood Avenue, Sinking Spring, PA 19608. i W...
- My ex wife had my son 4 year on Pulmicort for about 4-5 months I mention to her ...