Posts Tagged ‘FEMA’
Liability, Premises Liability - Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:19 - 0 Comments
The City of West, Texas, has filed a lawsuit against the owner of the fertilizer plant that was the site of an explosion in April that resulted in 15 deaths and tens of millions in property damage. Also named in the lawsuit is CF Industries, the manufacturer of the ammonium nitrate that fueled the blast. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has turned down the request by the State of Texas for a major disaster declaration, which would have allowed federal funds to rebuild a destroyed school and damaged utility infrastructure. The city estimates that it has more than $17 million in uninsured losses from the explosion and seeks an unspecified amount of damages from the Defendants.
Senator Barbara Boxer, D-California, is working in the Senate to strengthen oversight of facilities that handle and store large amounts of ammonium nitrate. A U.S. Senate Committee headed by Sen. Boxer is probing regulatory agencies regarding oversight lapses. As our readers may already know, ammonium nitrate has explosive potential under the right conditions. Sen. Boxer has called on the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to immediately amend its risk management program to include such reactive chemicals on the list of hazardous substances that require procedures and safeguards to minimize the risk of explosion.
According to Dr. M. Sam Mannan, a Texas A&M chemical engineering professor, the disaster could have been prevented if the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) had inspected the fertilizer plant and found it was not in compliance with its regulations on storing explosive chemicals. Among the requirements were sprinkler systems and fire walls separating the chemicals from combustible materials. West Fertilizer had neither.
In the city’s lawsuit, it’s claimed the ammonium nitrate, manufactured by CF Industries, “was unreasonably dangerous and defective” and that West Fertilizer was negligent in safely storing the chemical. A statement issued by the manufacturer said the company will seek dismissal of the lawsuit.
- FEMA Toxic Trailer Settlements Approved
- Toxic mobile home claims settled
- Children From FEMA Trailer Park Battle Serious Health Problems
- High cost of FEMA Advisors is Outrageous
- FEMA not immune from toxic trailer suits
- A look at cases to be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court
- Leaking underground FEMA fuel tanks
- State Of Washington Will Pay $2.25 Million For Shooting Spree
- Mass Tort Update
- Katrina Victims Sue FEMA Over Fumes In Trailers
- CitiGroup To Settle Smith Barney Bias Lawsuit For $33 Million
- FEMA Has Been A National Disaster
- An Oil Prince Buys A $2.7 Million Camel
- Trucking Company To Pay $18 Million Settlement
- Trucking Companies Agrees To $18 Million Settlement
- Revamped Vehicle Rating Program Still Has Glaring Omissions
- Children In Katrina Trailers May Face Lifelong Ailments
- $24 Million Awarded in Seat Belt Lawsuit
- IMMI Has no Concern for Safety
- The Role of a Trial Lawyer
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Sandy Hook Families File Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- GM Recalls Vehicles For Headlight Problem
- Daiichi Sankyo Agrees to Pay $39 Million to Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit
- Aging and Dangerous Tires On Our School Buses
- District Court Sanctions Ghostwriting Of Expert Reports
- The Selma March
- Cosco Recalls Convertible Hand Trucks Due To Injury Hazard
- Class Action Sought For Toyota's Electric Power Steering Defect
- Class Action Sought For Toyota’s Electric Power Steering Defect
- The Safety Institute Announces Quarterly Vehicle Safety Watch List
- Automakers Hire Rocket Science Company To Find Cause Of Exploding Air Bags
- Takata Must Preserve Recalled Air Bag Evidence
- President Obama Now Says He Wants To Reverse Citizens United
- Drug Companies Outsourcing Safety Monitoring To Cut Costs
- FTC’s Provigil Pay-For-Delay Suit Passes Actavis Test
- S&P Pays $1.4 Billion In Settlement With DOJ For Inflating Ratings Before 2008 Mortgage Crisis
- High Court Rules That It Is Unfair For Dentists To Limit Teeth-Bleaching Providers
- Governor Robert Bentley Steps Up To The Plate
- BP Claims That Deepwater Claims Administrator Has Conflict
- My sister was a healthy 46 yr. Woman she started having some chest pain and the ...
- I had the driver one replaced 4/29/2013 and now the passenger front went Saturda...
- i received hand cart replacement parts...
- I have a 2004 f150 crew cab front passenger window is up and won't come down so...
- I have a 2004 E350 6.0 diesel that I bought from a company called Sports mobile ...
- my tel # 340-220-3215 I wanted to know if you handled Plavix lawsuits fro...
- my claim # is UJT-10383314601 236605 no claim form attached to the notice i rec...
- We have a 2005 excursion 4x4 6.0 limited. Since buying a couple of years ago wit...