Posts Tagged ‘Drowning’
Transportation - Thursday, January 2, 2014 15:18 - 0 Comments
The families of a woman and three children who drowned in 2007 when a van rolled into a pond in Bridgeport, Conn., have settled their lawsuit against the dealership that sold the van. The van was parked when it began rolling down a hill. Michelle McIntosh ran after the van, but couldn’t stop it before it went into the water. She drowned, along with the children inside the van. An investigation determined one of the children had shifted the transmission into drive.
In 1999 most car companies had installed a safety device to prevent the transmission from being shifted into drive without the brake being depressed. But the 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager in this case was sold without that device. The children who died were Ms. McIntosh’s son; David Jr., 2; Jayden Wilson, 6, her nephew; and 2-year-old Julia Boyd, the daughter of a family friend.
The terms of the settlement with the Loman Auto Group of Woodbridge, N.J., are confidential. The Plaintiffs had offered to settle the case for $15.5 million. There was no lawsuit filed against the car company, because Plymouth had gone bankrupt. The dealership that sold the van was sued. After the drowning deaths, the city installed a rail barrier along the road above the pond where the accident happened.
William M. Bloss, with Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder, in Bridgeport, Conn., represented the McIntosh family. Peter M. Dreyer, with Silver Golub & Teitell in Stanford, Conn., represented the Boyd family. Each of these lawyers did a very good job in this very sad case.
- Parents Awarded $3.75 Million In Colorado Wrongful Death Suit
- DiveAlert emergency signaling devices recalled by Ideations
- Double drowning case settled in Montgomery
- Pool safety in this country must be improved
- U.S. Study Says Drowning Leading Cause Of Child Death
- Case Involving Brain-Damaged Woman Settled In New York
- Absentee Father Awarded $400,000 In Wrongful Death Suit
- CPSC Warns Of Drowning Dangers
- $3.3 Million Verdict Against TRW In Faulty Air Bag Lawsuit
- Deepwater Horizon Economic Settlement Program Trying to Make Up for Lost Time
- An Explanation of How Beasley Allen is Structured
- The Eighth Annual Beasley Allen Legal Conference
- More On Ionization Smoke Detectors
- NHTSA Considers Vehicle Electronics Rule
- Continental Recalls 170,000 Defective Motorcycle Tires
- Virginia Woman Paralyzed In Miata Car Crash Awarded $20 Million
- Bessemer Jury Returns $9.9 Million Verdict In Mazda Fire Case
- Defrauding The Military Is All Too Common
- JPMorgan Fined $78 Million By The European Commission
- $28 Million Verdict Upheld In Wyoming Carbon Monoxide Case
- Judge Vance Lifts Temporary Restraining Order Preventing Publication Of Alagasco Documents
- HI, just want to notify you of a change of address.
- Same thing happened too my 17 yr old in an 08 kia rio...
- I too was scammed by Flagstar Bank. I tried to get a modification on my mortgag...
- I have a 2004 F-150 XLT which I purchased new in Jan. 2004. The truck has only ...
- Deuy lawsuit. I have been reading , on internet, that lawsuits filed after Augu...
- Had to contact and comment on the MTD log splitter recall. There should be a sta...
- A couple month ago, 2010 Cobalt had ignition switch & keys replace per recal...
- trying to get a update on the lawsuite