Posts Tagged ‘Drowning’
Transportation - Thursday, January 2, 2014 15:18 - 0 Comments
The families of a woman and three children who drowned in 2007 when a van rolled into a pond in Bridgeport, Conn., have settled their lawsuit against the dealership that sold the van. The van was parked when it began rolling down a hill. Michelle McIntosh ran after the van, but couldn’t stop it before it went into the water. She drowned, along with the children inside the van. An investigation determined one of the children had shifted the transmission into drive.
In 1999 most car companies had installed a safety device to prevent the transmission from being shifted into drive without the brake being depressed. But the 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager in this case was sold without that device. The children who died were Ms. McIntosh’s son; David Jr., 2; Jayden Wilson, 6, her nephew; and 2-year-old Julia Boyd, the daughter of a family friend.
The terms of the settlement with the Loman Auto Group of Woodbridge, N.J., are confidential. The Plaintiffs had offered to settle the case for $15.5 million. There was no lawsuit filed against the car company, because Plymouth had gone bankrupt. The dealership that sold the van was sued. After the drowning deaths, the city installed a rail barrier along the road above the pond where the accident happened.
William M. Bloss, with Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder, in Bridgeport, Conn., represented the McIntosh family. Peter M. Dreyer, with Silver Golub & Teitell in Stanford, Conn., represented the Boyd family. Each of these lawyers did a very good job in this very sad case.
Source: The Connecticut Post and Claims Journal
- Parents Awarded $3.75 Million In Colorado Wrongful Death Suit
- DiveAlert emergency signaling devices recalled by Ideations
- Double drowning case settled in Montgomery
- Pool safety in this country must be improved
- U.S. Study Says Drowning Leading Cause Of Child Death
- Case Involving Brain-Damaged Woman Settled In New York
- Absentee Father Awarded $400,000 In Wrongful Death Suit
- CPSC Warns Of Drowning Dangers
- A Report On A Deadly Chemical Leak At A Site In Texas
- The Role of a Trial Lawyer
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Sandy Hook Families File Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- GM Recalls Vehicles For Headlight Problem
- Kiddie Korral Recalls Girls Hoodies With Ponies
- Giggles International Recalls Animated Monkey Toy
- Schneider Electric Recalls PowerPact J-Frame Circuit Breakers
- Wegmans Food Markets Recalls Moody Face Stress Balls
- Dream On Me Recalls Incredible Play Yards
- GCI Outdoor Recalls To Repair Stadium Seats
- Horizon Hobby Recalls HobbyZone Super Cub S Radio-Controlled Aircraft
- Lenovo Recalls Computer Power Cords
- Daikin Recall Air Purifiers Due To Fire Hazard
- Bicycle Helmets Recalled By UVEX Sports Due To Risk Of Head Injury
- Salsa Cycles Recalls Bicycle Forks Due To Risk Of Fall Hazard
- The lawsuit has been settled they are mailing checks out on Jan 31st 2015. You m...
- I am in the same boat going on 3+ years of lost docs, trial paperwork allegedly ...
- Chase continues to do this in Maryland in 2015. I plan to cancel my mortgage an...
- Sorrry .. Last post had incorrect email addy for the lawyer ... It is bill.hopki...
- THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM FORD !!!! ... DO SOMETHING "NOW" TO KEEP YOUR CUSTOMER...
- i need some money...
- I have been working with Wells Fargo modification for 3 years. I completed trial...
- I don't know who you are. I can tell how frustrated you are. Check this out I wi...