Posts Tagged ‘BP oil spill’
Gulf Coast Disaster - Wednesday, May 1, 2013 15:25 - 0 Comments
U.S. District Judge Lee Rosenthal, based in Texas, has refused to block several subpoenas issued to Transocean Ltd. by the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board (CSB) in its probe of toxic chemical releases during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, ruling the agency has the authority to investigate the incident. Judge Rosenthal found that the CSB is statutorily authorized to investigate the Deepwater Horizon incident based on the release of gases from the well blowout and subsequent explosion, despite Transocean’s claims that the agency should be prohibited from investigating the incident. Judge Rosenthal stated in his order:
The CSB has shown that it has jurisdiction to investigate the Macondo incident. The subpoenas the CSB issued are within its authority. Because Transocean raised no challenge to the subpoenas other than the argument that the CSB exceeded its statutory authority, the motion to dismiss or to quash the subpoenas must be denied.
Transocean, owner of the rig, had argued that the CSB, created by 1990 amendments to the Clean Air Act (CAA), lacked authority under the CAA to investigate the incident as a “marine oil spill,” which it claimed is under the exclusive bailiwick of the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). Judge Rosenthal stated the NTSB only has exclusive authority over “transportation-related” marine oil spills. It was pointed out that the incident first involved a blowout, explosion and fire, followed by a drilling riser collapse, and then the oil spill. The incident also involved the release of airborne gases. For these reasons, the judge said the incident can’t be considered solely as an oil spill.
According to the CSB’s petition, filed in October 2011, Transocean had either failed to respond, or had inadequately responded, to more than three dozen document requests. The CSB served Transocean with two subpoenas in November 2010, followed by another subpoena in March 2011 and two more in April that year, asking for information on the rig, its staff and related policies, as well as documents from an internal investigation provided to the federal Deepwater Joint Investigation Team. But Transocean had yet to fully satisfy any of the requests, the CSB claimed. The case is U.S. v. Transocean Deepwater Drilling Inc., in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas. This case is not part of the massive litigation in New Orleans before Judge Carl Barbier.
- BP: An Update On The Phase One Trial
- Claims Against BP Contractor And Cameron International Dismissed At Trial
- BP Continues to Ignore Its Promises
- Federal Judge Approves $400 Million Transocean Criminal Plea Deal
- Claims Continue to Come Into the Oil Spill Claims Facility
- Judge Approves $4 Billion BP Oil Spill Criminal Settlement
- BP Objects to Oil Spill Price Tag Sought by States
- BP Oil Spill Settlement Payments Exceed $1 Billion Mark
- Transocean Settles With The Federal Government For $1.4 Billion
- Judge Approves Medical Benefits Settlement
- Judge Barbier Dismisses Some Claims Against BP
- BP Oil Spill Workers Must Register For Oil Spill Health Study This Year
- The First BP Oil Spill Arrest
- Steering Committee Files Landmark Oil Spill Class Settlement
- Presidential Spill Panel Regroups To Push For Reform
- Court Takes Over Oil Spill Claims From Ken Feinberg
- The PSC Settles With BP
- BP Oil Spill Update
- Judgment Day Approaches In New Orleans
- Jere Beasley Report, April 2013
- Marc McHenry Hired As Investigator
- Alabama to Receive $1,039,078 in Multi-State Settlement
- COSTCO Recalls Gold Coast Crab Dip
- Major Banks Assist In Payday Loans Banned By States
- We Have Allowed A Culture Of Violence To Be Created In The U.S.
- Parting Words
- Closing Observations
- Favorite Bible Verses
- WSFA News Defenders Interviews
- Beasley Allen Hosts The Child Safety Helmet Giveaway
- SPLC Looks At How Payday And Title Loans Prey On Alabama’s Poorest
- Employee Spotlights
- Natura Pet Expands Recall Of Dry Pet Foods
- Winn-Dixie Recalls Organic Apple Juice On Mold Fears
- Manda Packing Recalling 468,000 Pounds Of Meat
- Carter’s Recalls Infant Clothings With Zippers Due To Choking Hazard
- Same as above, with all the nightmares. I was Modifying with Wells Fargo and i s...
- I am shocked to see what I am reading - but not surprised. I installed Certain...
- I work as a store manager and i work 60 to ninety hours a weeks please tell me s...
- I wondered why i couldn't find him on the DPS website.
Tell Marc to contact me...
- I want to be involved in this lawsuit. I was a 3rd key making $8.25 per hour wi...
- Great to find a site like this that informs us of what our tax dollars are payin...
- can you please emaik me a copy of your article on april 16th wells fargo suid f...
- ALL OF THESE STORIES ARE SIMILAR AND ALMOAT THE SAME IN TIME FRAMES. FOR TWO YEA...