Posts Tagged ‘Bayer Corporation’
Mass Torts Update - Thursday, April 28, 2011 13:46 - 3 Comments
Riceland Foods, the largest rice cooperative in the country, filed suit in an Arkansas state court against Bayer Corporation for damages it suffered as a result of Bayer’s gross negligence in allowing unapproved genetically-modified rice to contaminate U.S. natural long-grain rice. As a result of the contamination, countries within the European Union refused to purchase U.S. long grain rice. Rice farmers and cooperatives, like Riceland Foods, lost millions of dollars in sales and incurred substantial clean-up costs. Hundreds of lawsuits have been filed against Bayer in federal and state courts.
Riceland alleged in its lawsuit that the presence of Bayer’s Liberty Link rice caused the cooperative to lose $389 million in projected and future earnings. The jury found that Bayer caused tremendous harm to Riceland and the entire industry and awarded Riceland $11.8 million in compensatory damages and $125 million in punitive damages. The jury also found that Bayer was solely responsible for any damages incurred by farmers as a result of the loss of the European market.
Barry Deacon, a lawyer with Barrett & Deacon, located in Jonesboro, Ark., represented the plaintiff and did a very good job. Phil Beck, a lawyer with Bartlit, Beck, Herman, Franlinchar, & Scott in Chicago, represented Bayer.
Lawyers in the Mass Torts Section of our firm represent a number of rice farmers who have been damaged as a result of Bayer’s wrongful conduct. If you need additional information on this subject, contact Leigh O’Dell, a lawyer in our Mass Torts Section, at 800-898-2034 or by email at Leigh.Odell@bealseyallen.com.
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- Favorite Bible Verses
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- J&J Pays Oregon $4 Million To Settle Hip Implant Marketing Claims
- EPA Should Update Fracking Pollution Regulations
- Deepwater Fracking Raises Environmental Concerns
- $27.8 Million Settlement Finalized In TVA Coal Ash Spill
- Illinois Transport Company Settles Fatal Crash Suit For $2.7 Million
- Settlement For Family Of College Student Killed In Crash After Alabama National Championship Game
- Macy’s Fined $1 Million For Decapitation Of Warehouse Employee
- Texas Plastics Plant Fined $174,000 For Safety And Health Violations
- OSHA Says Safety Violation Continue At Oklahoma Oil Refinery
- Company Cited In Fatal West Virginia Cell Tower Collapse
- New Safety Directive Issued By OSHA On Communication Tower Work
- $27 Million Verdict Returned In Texas Against McDonald’s
- hello just want you a up date mt email change to
email@example.com can you...
- Was just wondering if you can still be in this lawsuit. I was a manager for 8 yr...
- I keep reading that the pratice of steering is illegal and whole-heartidly suppo...
- Hello William, thank you for your question. We are not aware of any pending liti...
- Has litigation commenced as a result of this recall?...
- Sorry I meant to say settlement papers, but I did speak to someone in the Lawyer...
- I just spoke to someone and was told it will be another month or two before I wi...
- 2005 F150 super cab. Driver side regulator just broke. Dealer wants $200 just fo...