Posts Tagged ‘Bayer Corporation’
Mass Torts Update - Thursday, April 28, 2011 13:46 - 3 Comments
Riceland Foods, the largest rice cooperative in the country, filed suit in an Arkansas state court against Bayer Corporation for damages it suffered as a result of Bayer’s gross negligence in allowing unapproved genetically-modified rice to contaminate U.S. natural long-grain rice. As a result of the contamination, countries within the European Union refused to purchase U.S. long grain rice. Rice farmers and cooperatives, like Riceland Foods, lost millions of dollars in sales and incurred substantial clean-up costs. Hundreds of lawsuits have been filed against Bayer in federal and state courts.
Riceland alleged in its lawsuit that the presence of Bayer’s Liberty Link rice caused the cooperative to lose $389 million in projected and future earnings. The jury found that Bayer caused tremendous harm to Riceland and the entire industry and awarded Riceland $11.8 million in compensatory damages and $125 million in punitive damages. The jury also found that Bayer was solely responsible for any damages incurred by farmers as a result of the loss of the European market.
Barry Deacon, a lawyer with Barrett & Deacon, located in Jonesboro, Ark., represented the plaintiff and did a very good job. Phil Beck, a lawyer with Bartlit, Beck, Herman, Franlinchar, & Scott in Chicago, represented Bayer.
Lawyers in the Mass Torts Section of our firm represent a number of rice farmers who have been damaged as a result of Bayer’s wrongful conduct. If you need additional information on this subject, contact Leigh O’Dell, a lawyer in our Mass Torts Section, at 800-898-2034 or by email at Leigh.Odell@bealseyallen.com.
- The Selma March
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Daiichi Sankyo Agrees to Pay $39 Million to Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit
- Aging and Dangerous Tires On Our School Buses
- District Court Sanctions Ghostwriting Of Expert Reports
- Cosco Recalls Convertible Hand Trucks Due To Injury Hazard
- Class Action Sought For Toyota's Electric Power Steering Defect
- The Melton Case Settles
- Is Jeep's Fire Hazard Equivalent to GM's Ignition Switch Defect?
- A $24 Million Verdict in an Alabama Balcony Collapse Case
- Honda Adds 105,000 Vehicles To Its U.S. Recall
- The Takata Airbag Saga Continues To Expand
- Investors Have Sued GM Directors Over The Faulty Ignitions
- “New GM” Ignition MDL Claims Now Under Home States’ Laws
- Judge In GM Ignition Switch MDL Urges Settlement Talks
- U.S. Supreme Court Reverses Alabama Redistricting Ruling
- The Lasting Effects Of Bloody Sunday
- Ford Recalls 221,000 Police Vehicles, Ambulances And Hearses
- Kia Recalls 209,000 Soul Vehicles For Accelerator Defect
- NHTSA Investigates Nissan Air Bag Fix As Complaints Increase
- Nissan Recalls 640,000 Altima Sedans
- The Amarillo Texas Smelter which operated from 1899 to current as a refinery has...
- Do NOT disconnect the battery! Under the steering column is a cap, flush with th...
- By the way that was for Johnson v. USCB Claims Adminitrator....
- I just received my claim form today April 17th 2015. And it had to be post marke...
- I have Organic Shingles that are failing and are not 10 years old. Can i sue Ce...
- My 2005 F-150 has only 47,000 miles and ready replaced all 4 regulators...
- It's funny sometimes how God uses others; I was reading some of the people's fav...
- Very happily surprised to find bible verses in this newsletter. Thank you for th...