Posts Tagged ‘Bayer Corporation’
Mass Torts Update - Thursday, April 28, 2011 13:46 - 3 Comments
Riceland Foods, the largest rice cooperative in the country, filed suit in an Arkansas state court against Bayer Corporation for damages it suffered as a result of Bayer’s gross negligence in allowing unapproved genetically-modified rice to contaminate U.S. natural long-grain rice. As a result of the contamination, countries within the European Union refused to purchase U.S. long grain rice. Rice farmers and cooperatives, like Riceland Foods, lost millions of dollars in sales and incurred substantial clean-up costs. Hundreds of lawsuits have been filed against Bayer in federal and state courts.
Riceland alleged in its lawsuit that the presence of Bayer’s Liberty Link rice caused the cooperative to lose $389 million in projected and future earnings. The jury found that Bayer caused tremendous harm to Riceland and the entire industry and awarded Riceland $11.8 million in compensatory damages and $125 million in punitive damages. The jury also found that Bayer was solely responsible for any damages incurred by farmers as a result of the loss of the European market.
Barry Deacon, a lawyer with Barrett & Deacon, located in Jonesboro, Ark., represented the plaintiff and did a very good job. Phil Beck, a lawyer with Bartlit, Beck, Herman, Franlinchar, & Scott in Chicago, represented Bayer.
Lawyers in the Mass Torts Section of our firm represent a number of rice farmers who have been damaged as a result of Bayer’s wrongful conduct. If you need additional information on this subject, contact Leigh O’Dell, a lawyer in our Mass Torts Section, at 800-898-2034 or by email at Leigh.Odell@bealseyallen.com.
- Favorite Bible Verses
- U.S. Supreme Court Denies Preemption Petition In Reglan Cases
- Fiat Chrysler Hit With Record $105 Million Fine by NHTSA
- Judge Denies Trinity's Request for a New Trial
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Energy Drinks And Powdered Caffeine Can Be Very Dangerous
- Benzene Causes Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Trial Judge Upholds The $55 Million Seat Belt Defect Verdict Against Honda
- Buyers Must Beware When Buying Chinese Tires
- A Settlement Reached With General Motors In Dallas County, Alabama
- Jurors Find In Favor Of A Couple In Their Blood Bank That Supplied HIV-Tainted Blood To Hospital For Blood Transfusion
- Verdict Returned Against Volkswagen And Honeywell In Georgia Court
- Hospice Facility And Its Manager/Majority Owner Will Pay $4.86 Million To Resolve Continuous Home Care Hospice Fraud Allegations
- Florida Dentist Accused Of Using Children In Medicaid Fraud Scheme
- U.S. Recovers $115 Million In Whistleblower Fraud Cases Against Adventist Healthcare
- BASF Took On Here Liabilities From Engelhard Corp.
- Yesterday, I received a check (almost $10,000.00) out of the settlement from the...
- Hello Leigh,
I hope you are doing well. I am trying to get in touch with you. ...
- We own a 2006 250 diesel. Have taken to a ford dealer for the third time to co...
- Plz away least hear my plea. I am at my wits and feel no one wants to help. Thre...
- I was having some chimney flashing repaired today...the person doing the repair ...
- my toyota corolla ce 2004 model power steering is stiff when the engine is idle ...
- Where are we with the payout to those Canadians who were affected by VIOXX- one ...
- sorry the implant was performed in august of 2011...