Posts Tagged ‘Bayer Corporation’
Mass Torts Update - Thursday, April 28, 2011 13:46 - 3 Comments
Riceland Foods, the largest rice cooperative in the country, filed suit in an Arkansas state court against Bayer Corporation for damages it suffered as a result of Bayer’s gross negligence in allowing unapproved genetically-modified rice to contaminate U.S. natural long-grain rice. As a result of the contamination, countries within the European Union refused to purchase U.S. long grain rice. Rice farmers and cooperatives, like Riceland Foods, lost millions of dollars in sales and incurred substantial clean-up costs. Hundreds of lawsuits have been filed against Bayer in federal and state courts.
Riceland alleged in its lawsuit that the presence of Bayer’s Liberty Link rice caused the cooperative to lose $389 million in projected and future earnings. The jury found that Bayer caused tremendous harm to Riceland and the entire industry and awarded Riceland $11.8 million in compensatory damages and $125 million in punitive damages. The jury also found that Bayer was solely responsible for any damages incurred by farmers as a result of the loss of the European market.
Barry Deacon, a lawyer with Barrett & Deacon, located in Jonesboro, Ark., represented the plaintiff and did a very good job. Phil Beck, a lawyer with Bartlit, Beck, Herman, Franlinchar, & Scott in Chicago, represented Bayer.
Lawyers in the Mass Torts Section of our firm represent a number of rice farmers who have been damaged as a result of Bayer’s wrongful conduct. If you need additional information on this subject, contact Leigh O’Dell, a lawyer in our Mass Torts Section, at 800-898-2034 or by email at Leigh.Odell@bealseyallen.com.
- Jere Beasley Report, April 2013
- Marc McHenry Hired As Investigator
- Antibacterial Drugs Linked To Potentially Fatal Heart Rhythm Abnormalities
- Major Banks Assist In Payday Loans Banned By States
- We Have Allowed A Culture Of Violence To Be Created In The U.S.
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Dometic USA Recalls RV Power Awning Kits
- MTD Products Recalls Cub Cadet Commercial Lawn Mowers
- Parting Words
- A Monthly Reminder
- Closing Observations
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Tire Age and Safety Featured on “12 News Defenders”
- Employee Spotlights
- Abbott Recalls FreeStyle InsuLin
- FDA Inspection Triggers Recall by Florida Pharmacy
- Dolls Recalled
- Symbios Medical Products Recalls GOPump and GOBlock Kits
- Powell Company Recalls Anywhere Lounger Bean Bag Chairs Due to Suffocation and Strangulation Hazards
- is there a recall on my lawn tractor ser. no. a288h10129 , i havge problem with ...
- I would like you to send me a application for lawsuit involving my 2006 Ford Die...
- 2004 f250 6.0 80,784 miles I have had nothing but trouble with the truck just go...
- Are there going to be letters to the currently employed people as well as the pe...
- I would love to join in on this I have a lot to say and can relate to a lot of t...
- the motor burn out on our 2011 greystone 5 th wheel...
- My F350 just blew its EGR along with the head gaskets. I have had the truck for ...
- 2009 purchased 2 years ago with 35,000 miles. Car worked great until last year c...