Posts Tagged ‘Bayer Corporation’
Mass Torts Update - Thursday, April 28, 2011 13:46 - 3 Comments
Riceland Foods, the largest rice cooperative in the country, filed suit in an Arkansas state court against Bayer Corporation for damages it suffered as a result of Bayer’s gross negligence in allowing unapproved genetically-modified rice to contaminate U.S. natural long-grain rice. As a result of the contamination, countries within the European Union refused to purchase U.S. long grain rice. Rice farmers and cooperatives, like Riceland Foods, lost millions of dollars in sales and incurred substantial clean-up costs. Hundreds of lawsuits have been filed against Bayer in federal and state courts.
Riceland alleged in its lawsuit that the presence of Bayer’s Liberty Link rice caused the cooperative to lose $389 million in projected and future earnings. The jury found that Bayer caused tremendous harm to Riceland and the entire industry and awarded Riceland $11.8 million in compensatory damages and $125 million in punitive damages. The jury also found that Bayer was solely responsible for any damages incurred by farmers as a result of the loss of the European market.
Barry Deacon, a lawyer with Barrett & Deacon, located in Jonesboro, Ark., represented the plaintiff and did a very good job. Phil Beck, a lawyer with Bartlit, Beck, Herman, Franlinchar, & Scott in Chicago, represented Bayer.
Lawyers in the Mass Torts Section of our firm represent a number of rice farmers who have been damaged as a result of Bayer’s wrongful conduct. If you need additional information on this subject, contact Leigh O’Dell, a lawyer in our Mass Torts Section, at 800-898-2034 or by email at Leigh.Odell@bealseyallen.com.
- JPMorgan And Assurant Settle Force-Placed Insurance Claims For $300 Million
- Toyota Sudden Unintended Acceleration Lawsuit Ends In Landmark Verdict
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Beasley Allen Legal Conference & Expo Set For November 21-22
- An Update on the BP Business Economic Loss Claims
- Parting Words
- Some Monthly Reminders
- Closing Observations
- Flynn Mozingo Receives Pro Bono Award
- Alabama Veteran Awarded Congressional Gold Medal
- Beasley Allen Provides Help For The Holidays
- More Than 2,000 Lawyers Pre-Registered For Seventh Annual Legal Conference In Montgomery
- Little Willy’s Recalls Hooded Sweatshirts Due To Strangulation Hazard
- American Boy And Girl Recalls Infant Sandals Due To Choking Hazard
- Children’s Pajamas Recalled By Babycottons
- L.L. Bean Girl’s Pajamas Recalled
- Look forward to the next update....
- I experience some of the same problems with Flagstar, how do we get a class acti...
- Ford 2005 F-150 Regulator Failure - My regulator failed on the passenger side fr...
- I LOST BOTH OF MY LITTLE DOGS, ONLY THING IVE' CHANGED WAS BUYING SOME JERKY TRE...
- JUST RECEIVED A NEW POLOCY, THE OTHER'S ALSO INCLUDED WERE OVER 1900 PER YEAR, "...
- I HAVE EMAILED EVERYONE GOVERNMENTWIE FOR HELP. SOME RESPOND. FIRST TIME AND CU...
- my name above, my address is 100 Maywood Avenue, Sinking Spring, PA 19608. i W...
- My ex wife had my son 4 year on Pulmicort for about 4-5 months I mention to her ...