Health Care Issues
Health Care Issues, The National Scene - Wednesday, May 1, 2013 15:41 - 0 Comments
A federal court jury in Bridgeport, Conn., last month awarded $41.5 million to a student in a lawsuit against a prestigious Connecticut boarding school. It was alleged in the suit that the Hotchkiss School located in Lakeville, Conn., failed to protect a student from insect-borne viral encephalitis during a 2007 trip to China.
In the Spring of 2007, Cara Munn was ending her freshman year at the college preparatory school. The then 15-year-old signed up for a Hotchkiss-sponsored trip to China in June and July. School officials failed to inform students of the health risks they would face on the trip. While the trip itinerary indicated that the group would be staying in big cities in northeastern China, where there was little risk of insect-borne disease, the teacher in charge had planned a hiking trip to the forests around Mount Panshan. This was a critical omission because the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) had posted traveler warnings on its website about the risk of tick-borne encephalitis and other dangerous insect-borne diseases in the mountainous regions of northeastern China.
Ten days after the hiking trip to Mount Panshan, the student came down with a raging fever of 104 and an acute headache. She was hospitalized in China after suffering seizures and paralysis. Doctors ultimately diagnosed her with tick-born encephalitis. As a result of the illness, the student suffered permanent neurological damage that has severely limited her motor skills. She is also no longer able to talk, and instead communicates through a computer-assisted typing program.
Two claims based on negligence were submitted to the jury. The first was that The Hotchkiss School failed to inform the students of the risk of insect-borne disease in the places in China where they would be bringing her. The second was that the school failed to ensure that the student took insect-protection precautions, such as using insect repellant, wearing proper clothing, checking herself for ticks and staying out of underbrush. The jury awarded the student $31.5 million in noneconomic damages, $9.8 million in future economic damages and $450,000 for past economic damages.
Two liability experts were used by the plaintiffs’ lawyers. Stuart Rose, a travel medicine specialist from Massachusetts, and Peter Tarlow, a consultant on tourism safety from College Station, Texas, provided expert testimony on the school’s standard of care. The Hotchkiss School’s own expert on travel medicine admitted on cross-examination that the school was on actual notice that there was a risk of tick-borne encephalitis in the region where the student and her Hotchkiss classmates had gone hiking. The trial judge refused to let the school’s standard-of-care expert testify at trial. The Hotchkiss School has said it will appeal the verdict.
Antonio Ponvert III, a lawyer with the Bridgeport firm of Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder, represented the student in the case and did a very good job. He had this to say about the verdict.
The jury sent the message to schools and any other organizations that take children on overseas trips that they have a duty to bring those children home safely.
The case is Munn v. Hotchkiss School, which was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut.
- Januvia Studies Link Medication To Serious Side Effects
- Antibacterial Drugs Linked To Potentially Fatal Heart Rhythm Abnormalities
- AHIF Serves U.S. Veterans With Traumatic Brain Injury In Alabama
- Vitamin D Supplement Dosage Warning
- A Report on the Use of SimplyThick for Infants
- Sterile Drugs Often Contaminated
- Class Action Alleges Deceptive Marketing Of Monster Energy Drinks
- Mississippi Pharmacists Take On Benefit Managers And Mail Order Drug Firms
- Lapses At Big Drug Factories Add To Shortages And Danger
- FDA Regulation Of Pharmacies Is Badly Needed
- Learning About And Reporting Adverse Events
- Folks Born Between 1945 and 1965 Should Get Tested For Hepatitis C
- New Health Protections For Women Are Now In Place
- Israel Has A Great Health Care System
- Spray-On Tans May Not Be Safe
- FDA Warns About Benzocaine In Baby Pain Gels
- U.S. Drug Recalls Common, But Not Well-Publicized
- Some Birth Control Associated With Increased Blood Clot Risk
- Regulators Should Moniter Safety Throughout A Drug’s Lifecycle
- Jere Beasley Report, April 2013
- Alabama to Receive $1,039,078 in Multi-State Settlement
- COSTCO Recalls Gold Coast Crab Dip
- Major Banks Assist In Payday Loans Banned By States
- Marc McHenry Hired As Investigator
- We Have Allowed A Culture Of Violence To Be Created In The U.S.
- Parting Words
- Closing Observations
- Favorite Bible Verses
- WSFA News Defenders Interviews
- Beasley Allen Hosts The Child Safety Helmet Giveaway
- SPLC Looks At How Payday And Title Loans Prey On Alabama’s Poorest
- Employee Spotlights
- Natura Pet Expands Recall Of Dry Pet Foods
- Winn-Dixie Recalls Organic Apple Juice On Mold Fears
- Manda Packing Recalling 468,000 Pounds Of Meat
- Carter’s Recalls Infant Clothings With Zippers Due To Choking Hazard
- I want to be involved in this lawsuit. I was a 3rd key making $8.25 per hour wi...
- Great to find a site like this that informs us of what our tax dollars are payin...
- can you please emaik me a copy of your article on april 16th wells fargo suid f...
- ALL OF THESE STORIES ARE SIMILAR AND ALMOAT THE SAME IN TIME FRAMES. FOR TWO YEA...
- they tried forexloaing on my home with a fraudulent note. how do I know that? I ...
- Yes, Sharon, we were aware of the button... however, it didn't work. Took it to...
- When would we get paid?...
- Would like to know how much longer will it be before we get paid....