Liability, Personal Injury, Premises Liability - Thursday, May 2, 2013 12:51 - 0 Comments
A $12 million settlement has been reached in a case brought by a disabled man against Spectrum Community Services of Indiana, LLC, a Crown Point home health care agency. James Kosinski, the Plaintiff, suffered third degree burns and permanent brain damage in 2009. His case was settled a week before a trial was to start in Superior Court. It was contended that the home care agency failed to follow safety rules and hired an employee who was neither qualified nor competent. The Plaintiff had been receiving 24-hour supervision and assistance because of his severe disabilities that include autism, cerebral palsy and a seizure disorder.
The facts of the case, according to the lawsuit filed on January 19, 2009, set out a sad story. The Plaintiff’s bathtub was filled with scalding hot water by a new employee who had no medical training. The Plaintiff was then put in the tub, but since he was unable to speak or scream out for help, he could only struggle in an attempt to get out of the tub. The employee said he believed the Plaintiff was having a seizure so he held him down in the water. The Plaintiff’s skin began to blister and peel away when he was finally removed from the tub.
The Plaintiff was taken by helicopter to the University of Chicago burn unit, suffering from second and third degree burns on his feet, legs, buttocks and back. As a result of the burns, the Plaintiff suffered respiratory failure, pulmonary edema and sepsis. His seizures increased and he needed a feeding tube and a ventilator. Reportedly, the Spectrum worker was fired.
The proceeds from the settlement will be placed into a restrictive trust for the Plaintiff, who now lives in a nursing home. His family hopes to be able to bring the Plaintiff back home for care and treatment. Timothy S. Schafer, a lawyer with Schafer & Schafer, a firm located in Merrillville, Ind., represents the Plaintiff and his family. He did a very good job in this case.
- Safety Rules Limited For Small Fertilizer Plants
- Jury Returns $23 Million Verdict In Elder Abuse Case
- $11.25 Million Awarded In Slip-And-Fall Case
- Lawsuit Filed After Children Shocked And burned By Power Wire
- Chevron Should Have Replaced Leaky Pipe
- Narconon Settles Wrongful Death Suit
- California Attorney General Sues BP and ARCO Over Gas Stations
- $15 Million Jury Verdict Against Convenience Store That Sold Alcohol to Minor
- West Penn Settles Fatal Power Line Case for $105 Million
- Family Files Lawsuit Arising Out Of A Ski Slope Death
- Strauss-Kahn And New York Hotel Maid Settle Lawsuit
- Lawsuit Filed Over Fire That Killed A Mother And Her Daughter
- Lawsuit Filed In Florida Garage Collapse
- Children Settle Claim Over Parents’ Death In Missouri Fire
- Family Awarded $109 Million In Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- Good Result In North Carolina Case
- Another Lawsuit Filed Over Colorado Theater Shooting
- Lawsuit Filed Against Exxon Over Yellowstone Spill
- Texas Jury Awards $11 Million In Oilfield Lawsuit
- Jere Beasley Report, April 2013
- Marc McHenry Hired As Investigator
- Title Loans and Payday Loans are Bad News for Borrowers
- Alabama to Receive $1,039,078 in Multi-State Settlement
- COSTCO Recalls Gold Coast Crab Dip
- Major Banks Assist In Payday Loans Banned By States
- We Have Allowed A Culture Of Violence To Be Created In The U.S.
- Parting Words
- Closing Observations
- Favorite Bible Verses
- WSFA News Defenders Interviews
- Beasley Allen Hosts The Child Safety Helmet Giveaway
- SPLC Looks At How Payday And Title Loans Prey On Alabama’s Poorest
- Employee Spotlights
- Natura Pet Expands Recall Of Dry Pet Foods
- Winn-Dixie Recalls Organic Apple Juice On Mold Fears
- Manda Packing Recalling 468,000 Pounds Of Meat
- Carter’s Recalls Infant Clothings With Zippers Due To Choking Hazard
- Its really not easy to payback any kind of loan, I always recommend all my frien...
- Same as above, with all the nightmares. I was Modifying with Wells Fargo and i s...
- I am shocked to see what I am reading - but not surprised. I installed Certain...
- I work as a store manager and i work 60 to ninety hours a weeks please tell me s...
- I wondered why i couldn't find him on the DPS website.
Tell Marc to contact me...
- I want to be involved in this lawsuit. I was a 3rd key making $8.25 per hour wi...
- Great to find a site like this that informs us of what our tax dollars are payin...
- can you please emaik me a copy of your article on april 16th wells fargo suid f...