Drug Manufacturer Fraud Litigation
Drug Manufacturer Fraud Litigation, Mass Torts, Mass Torts Update - Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:59 - 0 Comments
In the first of more than 3,000 Actos bladder cancer lawsuits to go trial, a jury returned a $6.5 million verdict last month against Takeda Pharmaceuticals American Inc. in favor of Jack Cooper who developed bladder cancer after being prescribed Actos for his diabetes. The jury found that Takeda failed to adequately warn patients and doctors of the risks of Actos and that Actos was the cause of Mr. Cooper’s bladder cancer. The jury awarded $5 million to Mr. Cooper and $1.5 million to his wife for loss of consortium.
Mr. Cooper was prescribed Actos for his diabetes by his family physician and took it for over four years before developing bladder cancer in 2011. The judge ordered that the Cooper case be the first to go to trial after Mr. Cooper’s doctors indicated that he is gravely ill and not likely to survive another year. The trial, which started on February 19th, lasted nearly two months.
During the trial, the jury heard evidence that Takeda knew of links between Actos and bladder cancer as early as 2004, but failed to disclose that risk to the FDA for seven years. The jury also saw internal emails from Takeda executives which showed that they were aware that Actos caused an increased risk of bladder cancer and yet chose to downplay those dangers to avoid hurting sales of Actos, which was Takeda’s most profitable product. One executive wrote:
Actos is the most important product for Takeda and therefore we need to manage this issue very carefully and successfully not to cause any damage for this product globally.
Takeda says that an appeal is likely if its post-verdict motions are denied. More than 3,000 lawsuits have been filed against Takeda by people who developed bladder cancer after taking Actos. The lawsuits are pending in California, Illinois and in federal court in Louisiana, where more than 1,200 lawsuits have been consolidated into federal multidistrict litigation. The lawsuit was filed in Los Angeles, California Superior Court. Mike Miller and Nancy Miller from Orange, Virginia, represented the plaintiffs in the case and they did a very good job.
- Amgen Settles Kickbacks Lawsuit For $25 Million
- Par Will Pay $45 Million to End Investigation Over AIDS Appetite Drug
- $12.6 Million Award in Whistleblower Lawsuit
- Wisconsin Appeals Court Affirms $16 Million AWP Verdict
- The Alabama Legislature Comes To Town
- AWP Update
- Davita Dialysis Accused Of Massive Medicare Fraud
- Pfizer To Pay $55 Million For Illegally Promoting Protonix
- Healthpoint To Pay Up To $48 Million To Settle False Claims Charge
- Settlements Over Fraud By Big Pharma At Record High
- Pfizer Settles Celebrex Investor Lawsuit For $164 Million
- Abbott Labs Fined $500 Million
- Hawaii Does Well In Medicaid Fraud Litigation
- Omnicare Agrees To Settle Suit Over Reimbursement Claims
- Company Pays $1.8 Million To Settle Fraud Claims In Alabama
- Janssen Pharmaceuticals Settles Deceptive Advertising Practices Suit For $181 Million
- Appellate Court Upholds $257.7 Million Jury Verdict
- Drug Compaines Should Not Be Allowed To Advertise Prescription Drugs
- Pfizer Pulls Breast And Colon Health Claims From Centrum Labels
- Jere Beasley Report, April 2013
- Marc McHenry Hired As Investigator
- Alabama to Receive $1,039,078 in Multi-State Settlement
- COSTCO Recalls Gold Coast Crab Dip
- Major Banks Assist In Payday Loans Banned By States
- We Have Allowed A Culture Of Violence To Be Created In The U.S.
- Parting Words
- Closing Observations
- Favorite Bible Verses
- WSFA News Defenders Interviews
- Beasley Allen Hosts The Child Safety Helmet Giveaway
- SPLC Looks At How Payday And Title Loans Prey On Alabama’s Poorest
- Employee Spotlights
- Natura Pet Expands Recall Of Dry Pet Foods
- Winn-Dixie Recalls Organic Apple Juice On Mold Fears
- Manda Packing Recalling 468,000 Pounds Of Meat
- Carter’s Recalls Infant Clothings With Zippers Due To Choking Hazard
- Same as above, with all the nightmares. I was Modifying with Wells Fargo and i s...
- I am shocked to see what I am reading - but not surprised. I installed Certain...
- I work as a store manager and i work 60 to ninety hours a weeks please tell me s...
- I wondered why i couldn't find him on the DPS website.
Tell Marc to contact me...
- I want to be involved in this lawsuit. I was a 3rd key making $8.25 per hour wi...
- Great to find a site like this that informs us of what our tax dollars are payin...
- can you please emaik me a copy of your article on april 16th wells fargo suid f...
- ALL OF THESE STORIES ARE SIMILAR AND ALMOAT THE SAME IN TIME FRAMES. FOR TWO YEA...