Ponzi-Scheme Scandals - Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:49 - 0 Comments
Ponzi schemes are being uncovered in record numbers. The SEC is investigating cases all over the country, that while not on the scale of Madoff, are just as devastating to investors. In an action filed this month entitled SEC v. Millennium Bank, the defendants were allegedly conducting a Ponzi scheme via an offshore bank that raised over $68 million from investors. Investors were solicited to purchase CDs which defendants claimed paid extraordinary returns. What actually happened is the money was simply transferred offshore to the defendants’ accounts. The SEC also obtained a preliminary injunction in March against an individual in Virginia who bilked $11 million from about 31 investors through a fraudulent offering scheme in which he sold limited partnership interests in three entities. He claimed annual returns as high as 22%. As with the Millennium case virtually none of the money raised was actually invested.
Now that the world is aware of the Bernie Madoff scheme, many other long running schemes, some as long as 13 years, are coming to light. This is sad news for many investors because it will be difficult to recover any money from these con men. However, there may well be others who assisted the con men who have liability. We are looking into several potential claims of this sort. Going forward investors should be very wary of any nontraditional investment opportunities and skeptical of anyone claiming extraordinary results on investments.
- Jere Beasley Report, April 2013
- Marc McHenry Hired As Investigator
- Alabama to Receive $1,039,078 in Multi-State Settlement
- COSTCO Recalls Gold Coast Crab Dip
- Major Banks Assist In Payday Loans Banned By States
- We Have Allowed A Culture Of Violence To Be Created In The U.S.
- Parting Words
- Closing Observations
- Favorite Bible Verses
- WSFA News Defenders Interviews
- Beasley Allen Hosts The Child Safety Helmet Giveaway
- SPLC Looks At How Payday And Title Loans Prey On Alabama’s Poorest
- Employee Spotlights
- Natura Pet Expands Recall Of Dry Pet Foods
- Winn-Dixie Recalls Organic Apple Juice On Mold Fears
- Manda Packing Recalling 468,000 Pounds Of Meat
- Carter’s Recalls Infant Clothings With Zippers Due To Choking Hazard
- I work as a store manager and i work 60 to ninety hours a weeks please tell me s...
- I wondered why i couldn't find him on the DPS website.
Tell Marc to contact me...
- I want to be involved in this lawsuit. I was a 3rd key making $8.25 per hour wi...
- Great to find a site like this that informs us of what our tax dollars are payin...
- can you please emaik me a copy of your article on april 16th wells fargo suid f...
- ALL OF THESE STORIES ARE SIMILAR AND ALMOAT THE SAME IN TIME FRAMES. FOR TWO YEA...
- they tried forexloaing on my home with a fraudulent note. how do I know that? I ...
- Yes, Sharon, we were aware of the button... however, it didn't work. Took it to...