A California jury awarded $1.9 million last month to a woman whose e-cigarette exploded and seriously burned her. The manufacturer and seller of the product were found by the jurors to be liable for her injuries. The e-cigarette industry is unregulated, a recipe for disaster, and this jury acted appropriately and found fault. The Plaintiff Jennifer Ries filed her lawsuit in June 2013 against distributor VapCigs, wholesaler La Verne Car Wash Inc., and e-cigarette shop The Tobacco Expo.
The Plaintiff alleged in the suit that the “E-Hookah E-Cigarette Starter Kit” that she bought at the Tobacco Expo store in Corona, Calif., exploded while she was charging it just four days later. The Plaintiff and her husband were on the way at the time to the airport for a charity mission in Brazil. She said in her complaint that she was sitting in the passenger seat of their car with her husband driving when the e-cigarette’s battery blew up. The blast sent metal shrapnel throughout the car and set fire to her seat and her dress. Her husband pulled over and poured his iced coffee onto the flames on her lap, but his wife received second-degree burns on her legs, buttocks and hands.
A statement released by the law firm said Ms. Ries is “forever reliving the nightmare caused by the dangerous, defective product.” She is represented by Gregory L. Bentley and Clare Lucich of Shernoff Bidart Echeverria Bentley LLP, a law firm located in Claremont, Calif. These lawyers did a very good job in this case, which is in the Superior Court of the State of California, County of Riverside.
Contact us today for a free legal consultation with an experienced attorney.
Fields marked *may be required for submission.
If you would like to subscribe to the Jere Beasley Report digital edition, simply visit our Subscriptions page and provide the necessary information or call us at 800-898-2034.
Attorney Advertising - Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.