Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Thursday, February 6, 2014 11:47 - 0 Comments
Judge Joseph R. Goodwin has designated the case of Joann Serrano v. American Medical Systems, Inc. as the first bellwether case in the AMS MDL to be set for trial. The trial is scheduled to begin on April 7, 2014. Mrs. Serrano’s case was one of four bellwether cases previously selected in the multidistrict litigation against American Medical Systems Inc. Mrs. Serrano was implanted with American Medical Systems’ Monarc Subfascial Hammock Sling, a polypropylene mesh product. After implantation, Mrs. Serrano began to experience pelvic pain, lower abdominal pain, and dyspareunia (painful sexual intercourse) and was informed she would need to undergo a surgical procedure to have the Monarc Sling removed. During the procedure to remove the sling, the physician discovered that Mrs. Serrano’s pelvic tissue had grown completely into the sling and was forced to remove the sling piece by piece. Pathology conducted on the removed pieces of the mesh sling revealed that the mesh was infected which resulted in inflammation to Mrs. Serrano’s surrounding tissue.
Judge Goodwin has also scheduled the first bellwether trial in the Johnson & Johnson (Ethicon) MDL. The case, Lewis v. Johnson & Johnson, is scheduled to begin on February 10, 2014. Ms. Lewis was implanted with Ethicon’s TVT Sling, a polypropylene mesh product. After implantation, Ms. Lewis experienced pelvic pain and dyspareunia and was forced to undergo multiple procedures to remove portions of the TVT Sling. Upon removing a portion of the TVT sling, Ms. Lewis’ physician discovered scarring to Ms. Lewis’ vaginal wall caused by the sling which caused her to experience pelvic pain and dyspareunia.
If you need additional information relating to either of these two MDLs, you can contact Leigh O’Dell or Chad Cook, lawyers in our firms Mass Torts Section, at 800-898-2034 or by email at Leigh.Odell@beasleyallen.com or Chad.Cook@beasleyallen.com.
Leave a Reply
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Travis Grant Story Is A Good One
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Pollution Plagues The Water In Alabama
- New York Appeals Court Decisions May Impact Fracking Nationwide
- The Prices Of Generic Drugs Are Going Up
- John Hopkins Settles Pelvic Exam Lawsuits For $190 Million
- An Update On Boating Accidents
- There Were 10 Deaths And 123 Injured During 4th Of July Travel Period In Alabama
- Tracy Morgan Files Suit Against Wal-Mart
- OSHA Issues Safety Violations To Bridge Company
- Investigators Say Overloaded Storage Bins Caused Building Collapse
- Jury Returns $15 Million Verdict Against The Los Angeles Dodgers
- Safeguards Needed To Protect The Public Against Predatory Lenders
- Just in case Ford ever steps up, I'm chiming in. Original Owner 2004 F150 SCrew...
- August 26, 2014 - my wife has received an August GM recall notice on her 2002 mo...
- Thanks, Tiffany Lindsay keep me posted...
- To the lawyer of this firm, something similar happen to me today while traveling...
- Ford sucks! for not recalling this issue... I am on my second replacement.
- Both my front window regulators crapped out on my 2004 f150 back in 2007. Haven...
- I would like to join this lawsuit, I was a manager for 3+ years. I worked many ...
- I was a store manager at a Dollar General in Jackson, GA. I worked an average o...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Aug 1, 2014 14:22 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- NHTSA Finally Issues A Rear Underride Standard
- Dangers Associated With Portable Bed Handles
- A Danger in Your Home Is Hiding In Plain Sight
- Joan Claybrook Recalls Important Product Safety Issues She Dealt With As Head Of NHTSA
- GM Stops Sales Of Some Cadillacs Over Ignition Issue
Recalls Update - Aug 1, 2014 12:23 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Unique Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. Recalls All Sterile Compounded Preparations Within Their Expire Period
- Dream On Me Recalls High Chairs Due To Strangulation And Fall Hazards
- Oeuf Recalls To Repair Cribs Due To Entrapment Hazard
- Fiberglass Boom May Conduct Electricity
- Porter-Cable Fixed-Base Production Routers Recalled Due To Electrical Shock Hazard