Mass Torts, Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, November 5, 2013 13:32 - 0 Comments
To date, more than 30,000 transvaginal mesh (TVM) lawsuits have been filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia as part of ongoing Multidistrict Litigation (MDL). An MDL has been formed for each of six TVM manufacturers, including C.R. Bard, Inc., American Medical Systems, Inc., Boston Scientific Corp., Ethicon, Inc. (Johnson & Johnson), Coloplast Corp., and Cook Medical Inc. Several thousand additional cases are pending in consolidated state court litigations against these manufacturers and other TVM manufacturers around the country.
The TVM discovery process has revealed an increasing amount of complications and severe injuries associated with Trans-Obturator Tape (TOT) mesh slings compared to retropubically placed slings. Prior to the development of TOT slings, mesh slings placed to repair stress urinary incontinence were implanted retropubically by placing the mesh through a vaginal incision and pulling the mesh behind the pubic bone to two stab incisions made in the lower abdomen. In an effort to minimize the potential for bladder and bowel injuries associated with the retropubic approach, the transobturator approach was developed.
The transobturator approach involves the passage of mesh through the obturator foramen on the sides of the groin. The mesh is then pulled to two stab incisions made on each side of the patient’s groin. Although intended to minimize injuries during implantation, the transobturator approach introduces increased risks for vascular and nerve injury by the passing the mesh and tools used to implant the mesh through the nerve-rich obturator foramen. In addition to these increased injuries, which occur at the time of placement, increased risks of nerve injury and irritation after placement have also been associated with TOT slings as compared to slings implanted using the retropubic approach.
Lawyers in our firm’s Mass Torts Section continue to be heavily involved in the TVM litigation and discovery process. These lawyers and their support staff continue to investigate claims where women have experienced organ perforation, bleeding, urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, pelvic and vaginal pain, infection, discomfort during intercourse, and the need for corrective surgery following the transvaginal placement of mesh for pelvic organ prolapse or stress urinary incontinence repair. If you or a loved one has suffered such an injury, contact Leigh O’Dell or Chad Cook, lawyers in our firm’s Mass Torts Section, at 1-800-898-2034 or by email at Leigh.Odell@beasleyallen.com or Chad.Cook@beasleyallen.com.
Leave a Reply
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Favorite Bible Verses
- An Update on the State of Alabama's Case Against BP
- Regions Fined $7.5 Million For Breaking Overdraft Rules And Will Refund $49 Million To Customers
- Fiat Chrysler Hit With Record $105 Million Fine by NHTSA
- Alabama’s BP Agreement in Principle Moves Forward
- Asbestos in Schools Poses a Mesothelioma Risk
- Judge Denies Trinity’s Request for a New Trial
- Human Trafficking of Foreign Employees is Shameful
- Judge Awards $99 Million to Victims’ Families in Crane Collapse Lawsuit
- NTSB Cites Truck Driver Fatigue as Cause of Tracy Morgan Crash
- Favorite Bible Verses
- First State Court Talcum Powder Trial Plaintiff Selected
- Parting Words
- Our Monthly Reminders
- Bryan Stevenson Discusses The National Failure To Address History Of Racial Injustice
- When can we expect payment...
- I'm not sure of the website question above but; My question is, how do I determi...
Are you looking for xarelto leads?...
- 2008 F150 super cab, passenger side window will not roll down. Stopped working a...
- I TIRED STATER, SLATER & ROSENBERG 8-9 YEARS AGO. IT WAS WHEN THE NEWS CAME ...
- 2004 F-150 Supercrew FX4 with 83,000 miles, I will be contacting the attorney li...
- I just had the first failure on my 2005 F-150 (76,000 miles) this morning on my ...
- I am on a medicare advantage plan and a widow involved in a law suit with person...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Personal Injury, Product Liability - Sep 1, 2015 10:43 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- Texas Town Files Suit After Wind Turbines Send Blades Flying
- The Hazards Created By Ethanol Fireplaces
- Wrongful Death Lawsuits Filed Against Continental Involving Tire Defect
- Jury Returns $59 Million Verdict Against Sunbeam Space Heater In Fire Death
- 9th Circuit Upholds $2.7 Million Sanctions Against Goodyear And Its Lawyers
Recalls Update - Aug 24, 2015 10:08 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Jake’s Fireworks Recalls YoYo Sparklers
- Epoca International Recalls Glass Whistling Kettle
- Teavana Recalls Glass Pitchers
- Cost Plus World Market Recalls Ronan Bistro Chairs
- Technosport Recalls Omersub Scuba Mask Due To Injury Hazard