Mass Torts, Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, November 5, 2013 13:32 - 0 Comments
To date, more than 30,000 transvaginal mesh (TVM) lawsuits have been filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia as part of ongoing Multidistrict Litigation (MDL). An MDL has been formed for each of six TVM manufacturers, including C.R. Bard, Inc., American Medical Systems, Inc., Boston Scientific Corp., Ethicon, Inc. (Johnson & Johnson), Coloplast Corp., and Cook Medical Inc. Several thousand additional cases are pending in consolidated state court litigations against these manufacturers and other TVM manufacturers around the country.
The TVM discovery process has revealed an increasing amount of complications and severe injuries associated with Trans-Obturator Tape (TOT) mesh slings compared to retropubically placed slings. Prior to the development of TOT slings, mesh slings placed to repair stress urinary incontinence were implanted retropubically by placing the mesh through a vaginal incision and pulling the mesh behind the pubic bone to two stab incisions made in the lower abdomen. In an effort to minimize the potential for bladder and bowel injuries associated with the retropubic approach, the transobturator approach was developed.
The transobturator approach involves the passage of mesh through the obturator foramen on the sides of the groin. The mesh is then pulled to two stab incisions made on each side of the patient’s groin. Although intended to minimize injuries during implantation, the transobturator approach introduces increased risks for vascular and nerve injury by the passing the mesh and tools used to implant the mesh through the nerve-rich obturator foramen. In addition to these increased injuries, which occur at the time of placement, increased risks of nerve injury and irritation after placement have also been associated with TOT slings as compared to slings implanted using the retropubic approach.
Lawyers in our firm’s Mass Torts Section continue to be heavily involved in the TVM litigation and discovery process. These lawyers and their support staff continue to investigate claims where women have experienced organ perforation, bleeding, urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, pelvic and vaginal pain, infection, discomfort during intercourse, and the need for corrective surgery following the transvaginal placement of mesh for pelvic organ prolapse or stress urinary incontinence repair. If you or a loved one has suffered such an injury, contact Leigh O’Dell or Chad Cook, lawyers in our firm’s Mass Torts Section, at 1-800-898-2034 or by email at Leigh.Odell@beasleyallen.com or Chad.Cook@beasleyallen.com.
Leave a Reply
- Favorite Bible Verses
- U.S. Supreme Court Denies Preemption Petition In Reglan Cases
- Fiat Chrysler Hit With Record $105 Million Fine by NHTSA
- Judge Denies Trinity's Request for a New Trial
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Jere Beasley Report, October 2015
- Favorite Bible Verses
- A Look at Potential Claims Relating to On The Job Injuries
- Trucking Company to Pay $3.45 Million to Settle Minimum Wage Lawsuit
- FDA Issues Bone Fracture and Density Warning for Type 2 Diabetes Drugs
- Actos Settlement Program Well Received by Claimants
- Internal Reporting is Now Covered Under the Whistleblower Anti-Retaliation Provision
- Melton Family Creates Vehicle ‘Watch List’ to Alert Public to Dangerous Autos
- Class Action Lawsuit Seeks Justice for Volkswagen Owners Deceived by Automaker’s Clean Air Act Cheat
- Volkswagen Admits to Massive Scheme Deceiving the EPA and American Consumers
- Chette Williams Does Good Work As Auburn University Football Team Chaplain
- Hello Leigh,
I hope you are doing well. I am trying to get in touch with you. ...
- We own a 2006 250 diesel. Have taken to a ford dealer for the third time to co...
- Plz away least hear my plea. I am at my wits and feel no one wants to help. Thre...
- I was having some chimney flashing repaired today...the person doing the repair ...
- my toyota corolla ce 2004 model power steering is stiff when the engine is idle ...
- Where are we with the payout to those Canadians who were affected by VIOXX- one ...
- sorry the implant was performed in august of 2011...
- i had a nucleus 5 implant in august 2014- 65 years old and the time, and lost my...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Sep 14, 2015 9:07 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- Chrysler Appeals In The Georgia Jeep Fire Death Case
- Mazda Seat Belt Defect Lawsuit Will Go Forward
- Our Firm Has Recently Filed Another Osprey Lawsuit
- Jeep Grand Cherokees Under NHTSA Probe After Rollaway Reports
- Honda Reportedly Facing Probe Over Air Bag Failure Claims
Recalls Update - Sep 23, 2015 8:19 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Merck Recalls Temodar And Temozolomide Bottles With Cracked Caps Due To Failure To Meet Child-Resistant Closure Requirement
- Flowers By Zoe Recalls Girls Striped Hoodie And Neon Tie Dye Jacket Due To Strangulation Hazard
- Manhattan Group Recalls Children’s Elephant Activity Toys Due To Choking Hazard
- J.M. Mattress Recalls Renovated Mattresses
- Stork Craft Recalls Crib Mattresses