Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Monday, October 7, 2013 10:14 - 0 Comments
Over 25,000 transvaginal mesh (TVM) cases are pending in the Multidistrict Litigation (MDL) in the Southern District of West Virginia, which is overseen by U.S. District Judge Joseph R. Goodwin. These six MDLs involve vaginal mesh manufacturers C.R. Bard, Inc., American Medical Systems, Inc., Boston Scientific Corp., Ethicon Inc., Coloplast Corp., and Cook Medical Inc. Several thousand more cases are pending in consolidated state court litigations in New Jersey, California, Massachusetts, and Minnesota against these defendants and other transvaginal mesh manufacturers.
Judge Goodwin of the Southern District of West Virginia recently scheduled the first round of bellwether trials involving transvaginal mesh manufacturers Bard, Boston Scientific, and AMS. These bellwether trials are scheduled for November of this year, February and April of 2014 and will serve as the first bellwether trials involving these three defendants. There is also an Ethicon trial scheduled for December of this year in New Jersey state court.
The scheduled trials are in addition to the bellwether trials involving C.R. Bard that have been ongoing since July 2013. As previously reported, the first two trials produced positive results for the Plaintiffs in each case. In the first case, Cisson, et al. v. C.R. Bard, Inc., the jury returned a verdict in favor of the Plaintiff, Donna Cisson. Shortly thereafter, C.R. Bard reached a settlement with the plaintiff in the second Bellwether trial, Queen, et al. v. C.R. Bard, Inc. The third and fourth trials involving C.R. Bard are slated to begin this month and in November 2013.
In addition to these trials, discovery is ongoing in both the overall TVM litigation and individual cases. Lawyers from our firm’s Mass Torts Section continue to be heavily involved in the TVM litigation, including the massive discovery process. Our lawyers are currently investigating claims where women have experienced organ perforation, bleeding, urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, pelvic and vaginal pain, infection, discomfort during intercourse, and the need for corrective surgeries following the transvaginal placement of mesh for pelvic organ prolapse (POP) or stress urinary incontinence (SUI) repair. If you or a family member has suffered such an injury, contact Leigh O’Dell or Chad Cook, lawyers in our Mass Torts Section, at 800-898-2034 or by email at Leigh.Odell@beasleyallen.com or Chad.Cook@beasleyallen.com.
Leave a Reply
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Travis Grant Story Is A Good One
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Pollution Plagues The Water In Alabama
- New York Appeals Court Decisions May Impact Fracking Nationwide
- The Prices Of Generic Drugs Are Going Up
- John Hopkins Settles Pelvic Exam Lawsuits For $190 Million
- An Update On Boating Accidents
- There Were 10 Deaths And 123 Injured During 4th Of July Travel Period In Alabama
- Tracy Morgan Files Suit Against Wal-Mart
- OSHA Issues Safety Violations To Bridge Company
- Investigators Say Overloaded Storage Bins Caused Building Collapse
- Jury Returns $15 Million Verdict Against The Los Angeles Dodgers
- Safeguards Needed To Protect The Public Against Predatory Lenders
- It would of been nice to got a letter!!!! For my 2012 tri-glide, mine just start...
- My 2007 F150 Triton 4x4 truck has had two regulators replaced on the driver door...
- Just in case Ford ever steps up, I'm chiming in. Original Owner 2004 F150 SCrew...
- August 26, 2014 - my wife has received an August GM recall notice on her 2002 mo...
- Thanks, Tiffany Lindsay keep me posted...
- To the lawyer of this firm, something similar happen to me today while traveling...
- Ford sucks! for not recalling this issue... I am on my second replacement.
- Both my front window regulators crapped out on my 2004 f150 back in 2007. Haven...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Aug 1, 2014 14:22 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- NHTSA Finally Issues A Rear Underride Standard
- Dangers Associated With Portable Bed Handles
- A Danger in Your Home Is Hiding In Plain Sight
- Joan Claybrook Recalls Important Product Safety Issues She Dealt With As Head Of NHTSA
- GM Stops Sales Of Some Cadillacs Over Ignition Issue
Recalls Update - Aug 1, 2014 12:23 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Unique Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. Recalls All Sterile Compounded Preparations Within Their Expire Period
- Dream On Me Recalls High Chairs Due To Strangulation And Fall Hazards
- Oeuf Recalls To Repair Cribs Due To Entrapment Hazard
- Fiberglass Boom May Conduct Electricity
- Porter-Cable Fixed-Base Production Routers Recalled Due To Electrical Shock Hazard