Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Monday, October 7, 2013 10:14 - 0 Comments
Over 25,000 transvaginal mesh (TVM) cases are pending in the Multidistrict Litigation (MDL) in the Southern District of West Virginia, which is overseen by U.S. District Judge Joseph R. Goodwin. These six MDLs involve vaginal mesh manufacturers C.R. Bard, Inc., American Medical Systems, Inc., Boston Scientific Corp., Ethicon Inc., Coloplast Corp., and Cook Medical Inc. Several thousand more cases are pending in consolidated state court litigations in New Jersey, California, Massachusetts, and Minnesota against these defendants and other transvaginal mesh manufacturers.
Judge Goodwin of the Southern District of West Virginia recently scheduled the first round of bellwether trials involving transvaginal mesh manufacturers Bard, Boston Scientific, and AMS. These bellwether trials are scheduled for November of this year, February and April of 2014 and will serve as the first bellwether trials involving these three defendants. There is also an Ethicon trial scheduled for December of this year in New Jersey state court.
The scheduled trials are in addition to the bellwether trials involving C.R. Bard that have been ongoing since July 2013. As previously reported, the first two trials produced positive results for the Plaintiffs in each case. In the first case, Cisson, et al. v. C.R. Bard, Inc., the jury returned a verdict in favor of the Plaintiff, Donna Cisson. Shortly thereafter, C.R. Bard reached a settlement with the plaintiff in the second Bellwether trial, Queen, et al. v. C.R. Bard, Inc. The third and fourth trials involving C.R. Bard are slated to begin this month and in November 2013.
In addition to these trials, discovery is ongoing in both the overall TVM litigation and individual cases. Lawyers from our firm’s Mass Torts Section continue to be heavily involved in the TVM litigation, including the massive discovery process. Our lawyers are currently investigating claims where women have experienced organ perforation, bleeding, urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, pelvic and vaginal pain, infection, discomfort during intercourse, and the need for corrective surgeries following the transvaginal placement of mesh for pelvic organ prolapse (POP) or stress urinary incontinence (SUI) repair. If you or a family member has suffered such an injury, contact Leigh O’Dell or Chad Cook, lawyers in our Mass Torts Section, at 800-898-2034 or by email at Leigh.Odell@beasleyallen.com or Chad.Cook@beasleyallen.com.
Leave a Reply
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- Favorite Bible Verses
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- J&J Pays Oregon $4 Million To Settle Hip Implant Marketing Claims
- EPA Should Update Fracking Pollution Regulations
- Deepwater Fracking Raises Environmental Concerns
- $27.8 Million Settlement Finalized In TVA Coal Ash Spill
- Illinois Transport Company Settles Fatal Crash Suit For $2.7 Million
- Settlement For Family Of College Student Killed In Crash After Alabama National Championship Game
- Macy’s Fined $1 Million For Decapitation Of Warehouse Employee
- Texas Plastics Plant Fined $174,000 For Safety And Health Violations
- OSHA Says Safety Violation Continue At Oklahoma Oil Refinery
- Company Cited In Fatal West Virginia Cell Tower Collapse
- New Safety Directive Issued By OSHA On Communication Tower Work
- $27 Million Verdict Returned In Texas Against McDonald’s
- Was just wondering if you can still be in this lawsuit. I was a manager for 8 yr...
- I keep reading that the pratice of steering is illegal and whole-heartidly suppo...
- Hello William, thank you for your question. We are not aware of any pending liti...
- Has litigation commenced as a result of this recall?...
- Sorry I meant to say settlement papers, but I did speak to someone in the Lawyer...
- I just spoke to someone and was told it will be another month or two before I wi...
- 2005 F150 super cab. Driver side regulator just broke. Dealer wants $200 just fo...
- Today, the 4th window failed in my 2004 F-150 SuperCrew - I bought it new and th...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Sep 4, 2014 13:13 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- More Problems With Goodyear RV Tires
- NHTSA Offers Online Vehicle Recall Check
- Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Mazda For Engine Valve Defect
- GM Sued For Alleged Antifreeze Defect In Chevy Cruze Models
- Settlement By Kia And Hyundai In Fuel Efficiency MDL Is Approved
Recalls Update - Sep 4, 2014 11:03 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- USDA Recalls 7.5 Tons Of Applegate Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- J&J Unit Recalls Hysterectomy Device Over Cancer Fears
- Samson International Recalls Bar Stool Due To Fall Hazard
- Bexco Recalls Franklin & Ben Mason 4-in-1 Convertible Cribs Due To Fall And Entrapment Hazards
- Ace Bayou Bean Bag Chairs Recalled Because Of Suffocation And Choking Hazards