Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Monday, October 7, 2013 10:14 - 0 Comments
Over 25,000 transvaginal mesh (TVM) cases are pending in the Multidistrict Litigation (MDL) in the Southern District of West Virginia, which is overseen by U.S. District Judge Joseph R. Goodwin. These six MDLs involve vaginal mesh manufacturers C.R. Bard, Inc., American Medical Systems, Inc., Boston Scientific Corp., Ethicon Inc., Coloplast Corp., and Cook Medical Inc. Several thousand more cases are pending in consolidated state court litigations in New Jersey, California, Massachusetts, and Minnesota against these defendants and other transvaginal mesh manufacturers.
Judge Goodwin of the Southern District of West Virginia recently scheduled the first round of bellwether trials involving transvaginal mesh manufacturers Bard, Boston Scientific, and AMS. These bellwether trials are scheduled for November of this year, February and April of 2014 and will serve as the first bellwether trials involving these three defendants. There is also an Ethicon trial scheduled for December of this year in New Jersey state court.
The scheduled trials are in addition to the bellwether trials involving C.R. Bard that have been ongoing since July 2013. As previously reported, the first two trials produced positive results for the Plaintiffs in each case. In the first case, Cisson, et al. v. C.R. Bard, Inc., the jury returned a verdict in favor of the Plaintiff, Donna Cisson. Shortly thereafter, C.R. Bard reached a settlement with the plaintiff in the second Bellwether trial, Queen, et al. v. C.R. Bard, Inc. The third and fourth trials involving C.R. Bard are slated to begin this month and in November 2013.
In addition to these trials, discovery is ongoing in both the overall TVM litigation and individual cases. Lawyers from our firm’s Mass Torts Section continue to be heavily involved in the TVM litigation, including the massive discovery process. Our lawyers are currently investigating claims where women have experienced organ perforation, bleeding, urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, pelvic and vaginal pain, infection, discomfort during intercourse, and the need for corrective surgeries following the transvaginal placement of mesh for pelvic organ prolapse (POP) or stress urinary incontinence (SUI) repair. If you or a family member has suffered such an injury, contact Leigh O’Dell or Chad Cook, lawyers in our Mass Torts Section, at 800-898-2034 or by email at Leigh.Odell@beasleyallen.com or Chad.Cook@beasleyallen.com.
Leave a Reply
- We Should Not Be Surprised By How Low BP Will Go To Get Its Way
- An Update on the ASR Hip Litigation
- 2013 Was a Banner Year for Whistleblower Cases
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Jere Beasley Report, February 2014
- An Update on the Actos Trial
- Five AndroGel Lawsuits Filed Against Abbott
- Efforts Underway to Enact Uniform Data Security Law
- Kentucky Addiction Clinic Settles False Claims Act Allegations for $15.75 Million
- GM Knew Of Cobalt Ignition Problem
- BP Oil Spill Medical Settlement Moves Forward
- Parting Words
- Monthly Reminders
- A Message From Dr. Sidney M. Wolfe For The American People
- Museum Of Alabama Has Its Grand Opening
- A Big Win In Daytona
- the machine was not the cause . th cause is the consumer not reading the manual ...
- ... Sorry, TYPO! 'NOW," as of March 4, 2014, I am not hearing a knocking undern...
- I purchased a 2010 HHR in September of 2011 in order to transport my elderly par...
- KEITH COOK THESE NEW CARS DON'T HAVE POWER STEERING FLUID ITS DONE BY COMPUTER...
- YES i OWN A 2009 HHR YES THE KEY GOT STUCK THEY SAID IT WAS A BATTER IN THE K...
- I just got a call from my wife and our 2007 HHR has had the "Power Steering" pro...
- As a long-time general practice lawyer who constantly tries to educate the publ...
- how do I get this money...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Mar 5, 2014 9:02 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- Seatbelts For Buses Have Been Recommended For Decades
- Aggressive Airbag Inflation Can Cause Injury And Death
- If You Want To Update Your Car – There Will Be An App For That!
- Electronic Power Steering Failures In Toyota Cars
- Final Order Issued In $1.15 Billion California Lead Paint Case
Recalls Update - Mar 5, 2014 11:07 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Company Recalls 8.7 Million Pounds Of Meat
- Runway Global Recalls Girls’ Sugarfly Hooded Jackets
- Lion Force Recalls Boys’ Puffer Coats Due To Strangulation Hazard
- BebeLove Recalls Baby Walkers Due To Fall And Entrapment Hazards
- Agila Specialties Private Limited Recalls 10 Lots Of Etomidate Injection 2 mg/mL – 10 mL And 20 mL