Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, July 2, 2013 13:04 - 1 Comment
More than two years after DePuy pulled the ASR hip implant from the market, ASR plaintiffs who have been injured by the defective product are finally seeing cases coming to trial. In fact, two trials ended recently. A judgment was returned in one case in excess of $8 million in a case tried in Los Angeles, California. Almost immediately after the verdict, DePuy’s lawyers filed motions for a new trial and to set aside the jury’s $8.3 million verdict. The trial judge denied both motions, noting “there was a legitimate conflict as to what DePuy knew about the ASR and when they knew about it.”
Although the trial in Los Angeles has ended and the plaintiff survived DePuy’s post-verdict motions, the litigation is not over. Lawyers for DePuy have asked the California Superior Court to place the judgment on hold while an appeal is filed. Most observers anticipated an appeal. The second trial, which took place in Chicago, resulted in a defense verdict.
In addition to the two recent DePuy ASR trials, several more trials are set to begin in the upcoming months. The first federal trial, which will take place in the multidistrict litigation (MDL) in the Northern District of Ohio, is set for September 9, 2013. The trial was initially set for May of 2013, but was continued to allow for further discovery. The first New Jersey state court trial is set for October 21, 2013. A second trial is set to begin in Chicago later this year. The Cook County, Ill., court originally scheduled one trial a month. However, the discovery and trial of these ASR cases proved too onerous, which forced Judge Dooling to vacate the initial scheduling order entered in the Chicago litigation.
These initial trials will play an important role in the future of the DePuy ASR litigation and will have an impact on all DePuy ASR lawsuits. The first trials are testing the waters and allowing both the Plaintiffs and Defendants to gauge the strengths and weaknesses of their respective cases. The trials also provide information about how jurors will respond and react to each side’s presentations and arguments.
The remaining DePuy ASR lawsuit claims stemming from the 2010 DePuy hip recall continue to move forward in courts throughout the country. There are more than 10,000 DePuy ASR hip lawsuits currently pending in courts throughout the U.S. If you need more information on this subject, contact Navan Ward, a lawyer in our Mass Torts Section, at 1-800-898-2034 or by email at Navan.Ward@beasleyallen.com. Navan has been working very hard in this area for a good while and is heavily involved in the MDLs.
Leave a Reply
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Favorite Bible Verses
- The Melton Case Settles
- Is Jeep's Fire Hazard Equivalent to GM's Ignition Switch Defect?
- A $24 Million Verdict in an Alabama Balcony Collapse Case
- More Info on the Xarelto Litigation
- BP Is Trying To Keep A Jury From Hearing Alabama's Case
- An Update on the State of Alabama's Case Against BP
- Regions Fined $7.5 Million For Breaking Overdraft Rules And Will Refund $49 Million To Customers
- Parting Words
- The Persons Who Cheated Cancer Patients Should Be Put In Jail
- Some Monthly Reminders
- ARCA Driver Grant Enfinger Hits A Wall At Talladega But Keeps On Charging
- Fellowship Of Christian Athletes Sets A Foundation For The Spirit, Mind And Body
- The Bronner Vision For Golf Has Been Very Good For Alabama
- Tire Inspection Event Held In Prattville, Alabama
- Sandra Moates
- Katy Morgan
- Elizabeth Eiland
- Beau Darley
- Worked at sun shipbuilding and dry dock company as a machinist
Worked at genera...
- We just had our roof inspected because of a storm that came through for damage, ...
- I am the original owner of a 2006 HHR. It makes me sad to know that I will proba...
- To Whom it may concern
My 2004 Ford F150 Driver's side Window went down last ...
- Please help. Have house and out building with Certainteed Horizon Arch Greysto...
- I have 2 yrs worth of documentation about Flagstar's inept ability to process a ...
- I retired from a plant in sandusky Oh. that USED to make manual window regulator...
- I have three house the the new horizon shingles that I'm having problems with di...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Jun 16, 2015 12:02 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- Some Midsize SUVs Do Poorly On Front Overlap Crash Test
- Recall-Related Crashes Involving Vehicles 10 Years And Older Going Unreported
- NHTSA Probes Nissan Versas Over Suspension Problems
- NHTSA Is Investigating Fiat Chrysler Over Sun Visor Recall Repairs
- Fiat Chrysler Launches Recalls Covering Airbag, Ignition Switch And Manufacturing Issues
Recalls Update - Jun 25, 2015 13:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Rocky Brands Recalls Rocky Rubber Snake Boots
- Snow Peak Recalls Japanese Axe Due To Laceration And Impact Hazards
- TenPoint Crossbow Technologies Recall To Repair Crossbows
- Valor Athletics Recalls Olympic Weight Bench
- IKEA Expands Crib Mattress Recall