Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, July 2, 2013 13:04 - 0 Comments
More than two years after DePuy pulled the ASR hip implant from the market, ASR plaintiffs who have been injured by the defective product are finally seeing cases coming to trial. In fact, two trials ended recently. A judgment was returned in one case in excess of $8 million in a case tried in Los Angeles, California. Almost immediately after the verdict, DePuy’s lawyers filed motions for a new trial and to set aside the jury’s $8.3 million verdict. The trial judge denied both motions, noting “there was a legitimate conflict as to what DePuy knew about the ASR and when they knew about it.”
Although the trial in Los Angeles has ended and the plaintiff survived DePuy’s post-verdict motions, the litigation is not over. Lawyers for DePuy have asked the California Superior Court to place the judgment on hold while an appeal is filed. Most observers anticipated an appeal. The second trial, which took place in Chicago, resulted in a defense verdict.
In addition to the two recent DePuy ASR trials, several more trials are set to begin in the upcoming months. The first federal trial, which will take place in the multidistrict litigation (MDL) in the Northern District of Ohio, is set for September 9, 2013. The trial was initially set for May of 2013, but was continued to allow for further discovery. The first New Jersey state court trial is set for October 21, 2013. A second trial is set to begin in Chicago later this year. The Cook County, Ill., court originally scheduled one trial a month. However, the discovery and trial of these ASR cases proved too onerous, which forced Judge Dooling to vacate the initial scheduling order entered in the Chicago litigation.
These initial trials will play an important role in the future of the DePuy ASR litigation and will have an impact on all DePuy ASR lawsuits. The first trials are testing the waters and allowing both the Plaintiffs and Defendants to gauge the strengths and weaknesses of their respective cases. The trials also provide information about how jurors will respond and react to each side’s presentations and arguments.
The remaining DePuy ASR lawsuit claims stemming from the 2010 DePuy hip recall continue to move forward in courts throughout the country. There are more than 10,000 DePuy ASR hip lawsuits currently pending in courts throughout the U.S. If you need more information on this subject, contact Navan Ward, a lawyer in our Mass Torts Section, at 1-800-898-2034 or by email at Navan.Ward@beasleyallen.com. Navan has been working very hard in this area for a good while and is heavily involved in the MDLs.
Leave a Reply
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- J&J Pays Oregon $4 Million To Settle Hip Implant Marketing Claims
- MF Global Officers’ Defense Cost Already At $48 Million
- GSK Fined Record $489 Million For Bribery In China
- Bank Of America’s Mortgage Backed Securities Settlement Is The Most Consumer Friendly Deal Struck Thus Far
- Alabama Supreme Court Affirms Class-Action Status For $3.2 Billion Investor Lawsuit Against CVS Caremark
- U.S. Senate Confirms Jill Pryor To 11th Circuit
- Alabama Campaigns Move Slowly Towards November
- The National Scene Begins To Generate Interest
- United Kingdom’s Government Backs BP
- U.S. Chamber Sides With Foreign Oil Company Over Its Own Members
- Halliburton Reaches Settlement On Claims
- A Confirmation Of Judge Barbier’s Ruling That BP Was Grossly Negligent
- I bought my f350 from our local ford 2 years ago it had 140000 on it in the firs...
- I have worked for dollar general for 14 1/2 years. sept 29th me and my whole cre...
- I had the same ignition problem where the car would not turn off on my 2007 HHR ...
- my recall was just preformed and power steering has gone out. are these two issu...
- I would like to know if I have A case that your firm would take on. I had severe...
- If possible, I would love to join the class action law suit.
We own a 2004 F 35...
- I am wondering about this lawsuit. What the outcome is....
- You can find more information about Lipitor and its connection to Type 2 diabete...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Oct 2, 2014 13:14 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- NHTSA Looking Into Ford Fiesta Door Latch Problems
- NHTSA Looks At Chrysler Minivan Stalling Issue
- NHTSA Puts Blame on GM For Hiding Ignition Switch Defect
- Aurora Shooting Victims Sue Ammunition E-Retailers
- Children’s Clothing Should Never Be Fire Traps
Recalls Update - Oct 2, 2014 9:39 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- FDA Tells Compounder To Recall Contaminated Goods Again
- More Than 200,000 Pairs Of Children’s Sunglasses Recalled
- Cabrinha Recalls Kiteboarding Control System Due To Risk Of Injury
- iDevices Recalls Temperature Probes Due To Ingestion Hazard
- AmTRAN Video Recalls To Repair 42-Inch JVC Flat Panel Televisions