Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, July 2, 2013 13:04 - 1 Comment
More than two years after DePuy pulled the ASR hip implant from the market, ASR plaintiffs who have been injured by the defective product are finally seeing cases coming to trial. In fact, two trials ended recently. A judgment was returned in one case in excess of $8 million in a case tried in Los Angeles, California. Almost immediately after the verdict, DePuy’s lawyers filed motions for a new trial and to set aside the jury’s $8.3 million verdict. The trial judge denied both motions, noting “there was a legitimate conflict as to what DePuy knew about the ASR and when they knew about it.”
Although the trial in Los Angeles has ended and the plaintiff survived DePuy’s post-verdict motions, the litigation is not over. Lawyers for DePuy have asked the California Superior Court to place the judgment on hold while an appeal is filed. Most observers anticipated an appeal. The second trial, which took place in Chicago, resulted in a defense verdict.
In addition to the two recent DePuy ASR trials, several more trials are set to begin in the upcoming months. The first federal trial, which will take place in the multidistrict litigation (MDL) in the Northern District of Ohio, is set for September 9, 2013. The trial was initially set for May of 2013, but was continued to allow for further discovery. The first New Jersey state court trial is set for October 21, 2013. A second trial is set to begin in Chicago later this year. The Cook County, Ill., court originally scheduled one trial a month. However, the discovery and trial of these ASR cases proved too onerous, which forced Judge Dooling to vacate the initial scheduling order entered in the Chicago litigation.
These initial trials will play an important role in the future of the DePuy ASR litigation and will have an impact on all DePuy ASR lawsuits. The first trials are testing the waters and allowing both the Plaintiffs and Defendants to gauge the strengths and weaknesses of their respective cases. The trials also provide information about how jurors will respond and react to each side’s presentations and arguments.
The remaining DePuy ASR lawsuit claims stemming from the 2010 DePuy hip recall continue to move forward in courts throughout the country. There are more than 10,000 DePuy ASR hip lawsuits currently pending in courts throughout the U.S. If you need more information on this subject, contact Navan Ward, a lawyer in our Mass Torts Section, at 1-800-898-2034 or by email at Navan.Ward@beasleyallen.com. Navan has been working very hard in this area for a good while and is heavily involved in the MDLs.
Leave a Reply
- Favorite Bible Verses
- U.S. Supreme Court Denies Preemption Petition In Reglan Cases
- Fiat Chrysler Hit With Record $105 Million Fine by NHTSA
- Judge Denies Trinity's Request for a New Trial
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Court Says Lloyd’s Of London Can’t Avoid Having To Pay $132 Million In Train Crash Settlement
- Insurers Must Cover $25 Million Damages Against Apartment Complex
- SEC Charges 5 Persons For Insider Trading On Gilead Acquisition
- Dole CEO And General Counsel Found To Be Guilty Of Fraud
- Forex Litigation Filed In Canada
- Banks Reach Multi-Billion Dollar Settlement In Credit Default Swap Litigation
- Toro Awarded $24.3 Million In Patent Dispute With Briggs & Stratton
- Department Of Justice Starts Investigation Involving Antitrust Claims Against The Four Major Airlines
- $415 Million Google And Apple Anti-Poaching Settlement Is Approved
- Essure Victims Deserve Justice
- A Third Suit Filed Against Olympus Claiming Device Spreads Cancer
- I got the same check ~10k, not nearly what it should have been now knowing it wa...
- Correction, it's now October 9, 2015...
- I remember the Black Carbon situation and yes we were settled with and was told ...
- Yesterday, I received a check (almost $10,000.00) out of the settlement from the...
- Hello Leigh,
I hope you are doing well. I am trying to get in touch with you. ...
- We own a 2006 250 diesel. Have taken to a ford dealer for the third time to co...
- Plz away least hear my plea. I am at my wits and feel no one wants to help. Thre...
- I was having some chimney flashing repaired today...the person doing the repair ...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Oct 9, 2015 9:08 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- Benzene Causes Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Trial Judge Upholds The $55 Million Seat Belt Defect Verdict Against Honda
- Buyers Must Beware When Buying Chinese Tires
- A Settlement Reached With General Motors In Dallas County, Alabama
- Jurors Find In Favor Of A Couple In Their Blood Bank That Supplied HIV-Tainted Blood To Hospital For Blood Transfusion
Recalls Update - Sep 23, 2015 8:19 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Merck Recalls Temodar And Temozolomide Bottles With Cracked Caps Due To Failure To Meet Child-Resistant Closure Requirement
- Flowers By Zoe Recalls Girls Striped Hoodie And Neon Tie Dye Jacket Due To Strangulation Hazard
- Manhattan Group Recalls Children’s Elephant Activity Toys Due To Choking Hazard
- J.M. Mattress Recalls Renovated Mattresses
- Stork Craft Recalls Crib Mattresses