Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, July 2, 2013 13:04 - 0 Comments
More than two years after DePuy pulled the ASR hip implant from the market, ASR plaintiffs who have been injured by the defective product are finally seeing cases coming to trial. In fact, two trials ended recently. A judgment was returned in one case in excess of $8 million in a case tried in Los Angeles, California. Almost immediately after the verdict, DePuy’s lawyers filed motions for a new trial and to set aside the jury’s $8.3 million verdict. The trial judge denied both motions, noting “there was a legitimate conflict as to what DePuy knew about the ASR and when they knew about it.”
Although the trial in Los Angeles has ended and the plaintiff survived DePuy’s post-verdict motions, the litigation is not over. Lawyers for DePuy have asked the California Superior Court to place the judgment on hold while an appeal is filed. Most observers anticipated an appeal. The second trial, which took place in Chicago, resulted in a defense verdict.
In addition to the two recent DePuy ASR trials, several more trials are set to begin in the upcoming months. The first federal trial, which will take place in the multidistrict litigation (MDL) in the Northern District of Ohio, is set for September 9, 2013. The trial was initially set for May of 2013, but was continued to allow for further discovery. The first New Jersey state court trial is set for October 21, 2013. A second trial is set to begin in Chicago later this year. The Cook County, Ill., court originally scheduled one trial a month. However, the discovery and trial of these ASR cases proved too onerous, which forced Judge Dooling to vacate the initial scheduling order entered in the Chicago litigation.
These initial trials will play an important role in the future of the DePuy ASR litigation and will have an impact on all DePuy ASR lawsuits. The first trials are testing the waters and allowing both the Plaintiffs and Defendants to gauge the strengths and weaknesses of their respective cases. The trials also provide information about how jurors will respond and react to each side’s presentations and arguments.
The remaining DePuy ASR lawsuit claims stemming from the 2010 DePuy hip recall continue to move forward in courts throughout the country. There are more than 10,000 DePuy ASR hip lawsuits currently pending in courts throughout the U.S. If you need more information on this subject, contact Navan Ward, a lawyer in our Mass Torts Section, at 1-800-898-2034 or by email at Navan.Ward@beasleyallen.com. Navan has been working very hard in this area for a good while and is heavily involved in the MDLs.
Leave a Reply
- We Should Not Be Surprised By How Low BP Will Go To Get Its Way
- An Update on the ASR Hip Litigation
- 2013 Was a Banner Year for Whistleblower Cases
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Jere Beasley Report, February 2014
- An Update on the Actos Trial
- Five AndroGel Lawsuits Filed Against Abbott
- Efforts Underway to Enact Uniform Data Security Law
- Kentucky Addiction Clinic Settles False Claims Act Allegations for $15.75 Million
- GM Knew Of Cobalt Ignition Problem
- BP Oil Spill Medical Settlement Moves Forward
- Parting Words
- Monthly Reminders
- A Message From Dr. Sidney M. Wolfe For The American People
- Museum Of Alabama Has Its Grand Opening
- A Big Win In Daytona
- Please check out our GM Recall Survivors page on Facebook....
- the machine was not the cause . th cause is the consumer not reading the manual ...
- ... Sorry, TYPO! 'NOW," as of March 4, 2014, I am not hearing a knocking undern...
- I purchased a 2010 HHR in September of 2011 in order to transport my elderly par...
- KEITH COOK THESE NEW CARS DON'T HAVE POWER STEERING FLUID ITS DONE BY COMPUTER...
- YES i OWN A 2009 HHR YES THE KEY GOT STUCK THEY SAID IT WAS A BATTER IN THE K...
- I just got a call from my wife and our 2007 HHR has had the "Power Steering" pro...
- As a long-time general practice lawyer who constantly tries to educate the publ...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Mar 5, 2014 9:02 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- Seatbelts For Buses Have Been Recommended For Decades
- Aggressive Airbag Inflation Can Cause Injury And Death
- If You Want To Update Your Car – There Will Be An App For That!
- Electronic Power Steering Failures In Toyota Cars
- Final Order Issued In $1.15 Billion California Lead Paint Case
Recalls Update - Mar 5, 2014 11:07 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Company Recalls 8.7 Million Pounds Of Meat
- Runway Global Recalls Girls’ Sugarfly Hooded Jackets
- Lion Force Recalls Boys’ Puffer Coats Due To Strangulation Hazard
- BebeLove Recalls Baby Walkers Due To Fall And Entrapment Hazards
- Agila Specialties Private Limited Recalls 10 Lots Of Etomidate Injection 2 mg/mL – 10 mL And 20 mL