Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, July 2, 2013 13:04 - 0 Comments
More than two years after DePuy pulled the ASR hip implant from the market, ASR plaintiffs who have been injured by the defective product are finally seeing cases coming to trial. In fact, two trials ended recently. A judgment was returned in one case in excess of $8 million in a case tried in Los Angeles, California. Almost immediately after the verdict, DePuy’s lawyers filed motions for a new trial and to set aside the jury’s $8.3 million verdict. The trial judge denied both motions, noting “there was a legitimate conflict as to what DePuy knew about the ASR and when they knew about it.”
Although the trial in Los Angeles has ended and the plaintiff survived DePuy’s post-verdict motions, the litigation is not over. Lawyers for DePuy have asked the California Superior Court to place the judgment on hold while an appeal is filed. Most observers anticipated an appeal. The second trial, which took place in Chicago, resulted in a defense verdict.
In addition to the two recent DePuy ASR trials, several more trials are set to begin in the upcoming months. The first federal trial, which will take place in the multidistrict litigation (MDL) in the Northern District of Ohio, is set for September 9, 2013. The trial was initially set for May of 2013, but was continued to allow for further discovery. The first New Jersey state court trial is set for October 21, 2013. A second trial is set to begin in Chicago later this year. The Cook County, Ill., court originally scheduled one trial a month. However, the discovery and trial of these ASR cases proved too onerous, which forced Judge Dooling to vacate the initial scheduling order entered in the Chicago litigation.
These initial trials will play an important role in the future of the DePuy ASR litigation and will have an impact on all DePuy ASR lawsuits. The first trials are testing the waters and allowing both the Plaintiffs and Defendants to gauge the strengths and weaknesses of their respective cases. The trials also provide information about how jurors will respond and react to each side’s presentations and arguments.
The remaining DePuy ASR lawsuit claims stemming from the 2010 DePuy hip recall continue to move forward in courts throughout the country. There are more than 10,000 DePuy ASR hip lawsuits currently pending in courts throughout the U.S. If you need more information on this subject, contact Navan Ward, a lawyer in our Mass Torts Section, at 1-800-898-2034 or by email at Navan.Ward@beasleyallen.com. Navan has been working very hard in this area for a good while and is heavily involved in the MDLs.
Leave a Reply
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- Favorite Bible Verses
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- J&J Pays Oregon $4 Million To Settle Hip Implant Marketing Claims
- EPA Should Update Fracking Pollution Regulations
- Deepwater Fracking Raises Environmental Concerns
- $27.8 Million Settlement Finalized In TVA Coal Ash Spill
- Illinois Transport Company Settles Fatal Crash Suit For $2.7 Million
- Settlement For Family Of College Student Killed In Crash After Alabama National Championship Game
- Macy’s Fined $1 Million For Decapitation Of Warehouse Employee
- Texas Plastics Plant Fined $174,000 For Safety And Health Violations
- OSHA Says Safety Violation Continue At Oklahoma Oil Refinery
- Company Cited In Fatal West Virginia Cell Tower Collapse
- New Safety Directive Issued By OSHA On Communication Tower Work
- $27 Million Verdict Returned In Texas Against McDonald’s
- I keep reading that the pratice of steering is illegal and whole-heartidly suppo...
- Hello William, thank you for your question. We are not aware of any pending liti...
- Has litigation commenced as a result of this recall?...
- Sorry I meant to say settlement papers, but I did speak to someone in the Lawyer...
- I just spoke to someone and was told it will be another month or two before I wi...
- 2005 F150 super cab. Driver side regulator just broke. Dealer wants $200 just fo...
- Today, the 4th window failed in my 2004 F-150 SuperCrew - I bought it new and th...
- I own a 2007 Chevy HHR . Gauges have been going hey wire for about for about 5 m...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Sep 4, 2014 13:13 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- More Problems With Goodyear RV Tires
- NHTSA Offers Online Vehicle Recall Check
- Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Mazda For Engine Valve Defect
- GM Sued For Alleged Antifreeze Defect In Chevy Cruze Models
- Settlement By Kia And Hyundai In Fuel Efficiency MDL Is Approved
Recalls Update - Sep 4, 2014 11:03 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- USDA Recalls 7.5 Tons Of Applegate Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- J&J Unit Recalls Hysterectomy Device Over Cancer Fears
- Samson International Recalls Bar Stool Due To Fall Hazard
- Bexco Recalls Franklin & Ben Mason 4-in-1 Convertible Cribs Due To Fall And Entrapment Hazards
- Ace Bayou Bean Bag Chairs Recalled Because Of Suffocation And Choking Hazards