The Consumer Corner - Written by Beasley Allen on Friday, August 10, 2012 14:46 - 1 Comment
Birmingham-based BBVA Compass has agreed to pay $11.5 million to settle a lawsuit accusing the bank of improperly manipulating customers’ checking account transactions to generate excess overdraft fees. Also, U.N. Bank reached a settlement, agreeing to pay $55 million, in a suit pending in federal court in Miami. Both of these settlements are subject to court approval.
Consumers sued more than 30 banks, claiming the banks re-sequenced the actual order of transactions, posting them in highest-to-lowest dollar amount instead of the chronological order, leading to excess overdraft fees. Those cases were consolidated before U.S. District Judge James Lawrence King. PNC Bank reached a $90 million settlement in June. Toronto-Dominion Bank, Canada’s second-largest bank, entered in May a preliminary agreement to pay $62 million to settle overdraft claims. In April, Citizens Bank agreed to pay $137.5 million. In February, JPMorgan Chase & Co. reached an agreement for $110 million.
Source: The Birmingham News
Leave a Reply
- Favorite Bible Verses
- We Should Not Be Surprised By How Low BP Will Go To Get Its Way
- An Update on the ASR Hip Litigation
- 2013 Was a Banner Year for Whistleblower Cases
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Jere Beasley Report, February 2014
- The Firm Settles Wal-Mart Case in Arizona Involving Rollover Crash Due to Tire Age
- An Update on the Actos Trial
- Five AndroGel Lawsuits Filed Against Abbott
- Efforts Underway to Enact Uniform Data Security Law
- Kentucky Addiction Clinic Settles False Claims Act Allegations for $15.75 Million
- GM Knew Of Cobalt Ignition Problem
- BP Oil Spill Medical Settlement Moves Forward
- Parting Words
- Monthly Reminders
- A Message From Dr. Sidney M. Wolfe For The American People
- Museum Of Alabama Has Its Grand Opening
- A Big Win In Daytona
- i was wandering was u all on the RISPERDAL CASE . Because my son was taking it a...
- Tell us how you can tell that a tire failed because of its age
- Without the Lord we are helpless, with our Lord we can move forward as his helpe...
- Thanks. I enjoyed reading the bible verses. Say hello to Rick....
- Crazy sad to think this could have been prevented with a simple Fence or panel. ...
- Please check out our GM Recall Survivors page on Facebook....
- the machine was not the cause . th cause is the consumer not reading the manual ...
- ... Sorry, TYPO! 'NOW," as of March 4, 2014, I am not hearing a knocking undern...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Mar 5, 2014 9:02 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- Seatbelts For Buses Have Been Recommended For Decades
- Aggressive Airbag Inflation Can Cause Injury And Death
- If You Want To Update Your Car – There Will Be An App For That!
- Electronic Power Steering Failures In Toyota Cars
- Final Order Issued In $1.15 Billion California Lead Paint Case
Recalls Update - Mar 5, 2014 11:07 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Company Recalls 8.7 Million Pounds Of Meat
- Runway Global Recalls Girls’ Sugarfly Hooded Jackets
- Lion Force Recalls Boys’ Puffer Coats Due To Strangulation Hazard
- BebeLove Recalls Baby Walkers Due To Fall And Entrapment Hazards
- Agila Specialties Private Limited Recalls 10 Lots Of Etomidate Injection 2 mg/mL – 10 mL And 20 mL