The Consumer Corner - Written by Beasley Allen on Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:06 - 0 Comments
Walgreens has been sued in a lawsuit involving the death of an elderly Kentucky woman whose pharmacist allegedly gave her the dangerous antihistamine Hydroxyzine instead of the high blood pressure medication Hydralazine prescribed by her doctor. The Complaint, filed in Jefferson County Circuit Court, alleges that Mary Moore received the Hydroxyzine when she went to fill a prescription for Hydralazine at a Walgreens store in Louisville on Nov. 10, 2010. Ms. Moore had just been released from a hospital after being treated for high blood pressure, congestive heart failure and kidney failure. Her doctor had prescribed Hydralazine to treat her high blood pressure.
According to the Complaint, Hydroxyzine is classified as a “high risk” medicine for the elderly and is frequently confused with Hydralazine. Ms. Moore’s hypertension went untreated for two weeks before the pharmacy discovered the error and gave her the correct medicine. It’s alleged in the Complaint, that by the time Ms. Moore was actually placed on Hydralazine, “it was too late” because she could no longer tolerate the prescribed dosage. The woman’s blood pressure allegedly could not be controlled and the consequent stress on her heart resulted in “decompensation of congestive heart failure, which caused decompensation of her chronic kidney disease.”
Ms. Moore was hospitalized several days after starting her Hydralazine prescription and died on December 6, 2010. Apart from alleging that Walgreens negligently dispensed the wrong drug, the Complaint filed by the estate of Mary Moore, also alleges that a Walgreens’ pharmacist violated state law by not providing her with counseling at the time she had her prescription filled. It is alleged further that “had Plaintiff’s decedent been given counseling, the pharmacist would have noticed the dosage was inappropriate for an elderly consumer, and that it was contraindicated for [a] person with hepatic, renal and cardiac problems … and that Hydroxyzine is a medication often negligently substituted for Hydralazine.”
The Complaint was filed on February 15th and includes claims for strict liability, breach of warranty and negligent failure to warn. Richard J. Head, a Simpsonville, Ky., attorney, represents the Moore estate in the lawsuit against Walgreens.
Source: Lawyers USA Online
Leave a Reply
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- Favorite Bible Verses
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- J&J Pays Oregon $4 Million To Settle Hip Implant Marketing Claims
- EPA Should Update Fracking Pollution Regulations
- Deepwater Fracking Raises Environmental Concerns
- $27.8 Million Settlement Finalized In TVA Coal Ash Spill
- Illinois Transport Company Settles Fatal Crash Suit For $2.7 Million
- Settlement For Family Of College Student Killed In Crash After Alabama National Championship Game
- Macy’s Fined $1 Million For Decapitation Of Warehouse Employee
- Texas Plastics Plant Fined $174,000 For Safety And Health Violations
- OSHA Says Safety Violation Continue At Oklahoma Oil Refinery
- Company Cited In Fatal West Virginia Cell Tower Collapse
- New Safety Directive Issued By OSHA On Communication Tower Work
- $27 Million Verdict Returned In Texas Against McDonald’s
- I have a 2005 Ford F150 crew cab. This is the third window in which window regul...
- These tires are on my 2000 Georgie Boy motorhome and have 23,000 miles on them. ...
- Attn: Art Jackson We are opposed to the hog farm being constructed on ...
- I would like to join the class action lawsuit against the Ford Motor Company reg...
- Glad to be getting closure I go into dollar general and spend 10 dollars every o...
- Was just wondering if you can still be in this lawsuit. I was a manager for 8 yr...
- I keep reading that the pratice of steering is illegal and whole-heartidly suppo...
- Hello William, thank you for your question. We are not aware of any pending liti...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Sep 4, 2014 13:13 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- More Problems With Goodyear RV Tires
- NHTSA Offers Online Vehicle Recall Check
- Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Mazda For Engine Valve Defect
- GM Sued For Alleged Antifreeze Defect In Chevy Cruze Models
- Settlement By Kia And Hyundai In Fuel Efficiency MDL Is Approved
Recalls Update - Sep 4, 2014 11:03 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- USDA Recalls 7.5 Tons Of Applegate Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- J&J Unit Recalls Hysterectomy Device Over Cancer Fears
- Samson International Recalls Bar Stool Due To Fall Hazard
- Bexco Recalls Franklin & Ben Mason 4-in-1 Convertible Cribs Due To Fall And Entrapment Hazards
- Ace Bayou Bean Bag Chairs Recalled Because Of Suffocation And Choking Hazards