The Consumer Corner - Written by Beasley Allen on Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:06 - 0 Comments
Walgreens has been sued in a lawsuit involving the death of an elderly Kentucky woman whose pharmacist allegedly gave her the dangerous antihistamine Hydroxyzine instead of the high blood pressure medication Hydralazine prescribed by her doctor. The Complaint, filed in Jefferson County Circuit Court, alleges that Mary Moore received the Hydroxyzine when she went to fill a prescription for Hydralazine at a Walgreens store in Louisville on Nov. 10, 2010. Ms. Moore had just been released from a hospital after being treated for high blood pressure, congestive heart failure and kidney failure. Her doctor had prescribed Hydralazine to treat her high blood pressure.
According to the Complaint, Hydroxyzine is classified as a “high risk” medicine for the elderly and is frequently confused with Hydralazine. Ms. Moore’s hypertension went untreated for two weeks before the pharmacy discovered the error and gave her the correct medicine. It’s alleged in the Complaint, that by the time Ms. Moore was actually placed on Hydralazine, “it was too late” because she could no longer tolerate the prescribed dosage. The woman’s blood pressure allegedly could not be controlled and the consequent stress on her heart resulted in “decompensation of congestive heart failure, which caused decompensation of her chronic kidney disease.”
Ms. Moore was hospitalized several days after starting her Hydralazine prescription and died on December 6, 2010. Apart from alleging that Walgreens negligently dispensed the wrong drug, the Complaint filed by the estate of Mary Moore, also alleges that a Walgreens’ pharmacist violated state law by not providing her with counseling at the time she had her prescription filled. It is alleged further that “had Plaintiff’s decedent been given counseling, the pharmacist would have noticed the dosage was inappropriate for an elderly consumer, and that it was contraindicated for [a] person with hepatic, renal and cardiac problems … and that Hydroxyzine is a medication often negligently substituted for Hydralazine.”
The Complaint was filed on February 15th and includes claims for strict liability, breach of warranty and negligent failure to warn. Richard J. Head, a Simpsonville, Ky., attorney, represents the Moore estate in the lawsuit against Walgreens.
Source: Lawyers USA Online
Leave a Reply
- The Role of a Trial Lawyer
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Sandy Hook Families File Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- GM Recalls Vehicles For Headlight Problem
- Daiichi Sankyo Agrees to Pay $39 Million to Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit
- District Court Sanctions Ghostwriting Of Expert Reports
- IIHS List Of Safest Cars Grows Amid Record Recalls In The U.S.
- NHTSA Needs Adequate Resources To Do Its Job
- Former NHTSA Employees Join Takata Air Bag Defect Panel
- BMW Will Replace Airbags Nationwide
- GM Recalls 83,000 SUVs And Trucks For Faulty Ignitions
- GM Gets 108 More Claims For Defective Ignition Switch Compensation
- Koch Brothers Set $889 Million Budget For Lead-Up To 2016
- Whistleblower Wins Supreme Court Ruling
- Pfizer Pays $400 Million To End Shareholder Suit
- Study Author Says Autism Risk Linked To Chemicals
- Multi-State Dog Fighting Ring Ordered To Pay $2 Million Restitution
- i don' know where is the form to fill up
- do i need to fill up the form
claim UJT-10073675001 Johnson vs USCB...
- sending this in hope for that you receive this and respond . Do I need to fill o...
- I recently saw an episode of BAR on WSFA regarding trying to get the legislature...
- I have a 2004 F150 Lariat crew cab. Driving home from work in 2011 (cold weather...
- In 2005 August 12th my husband commited suicide after being on Lexapro. I notice...
- Anthony Franco, the last part of your paragraph is absolutely not true, the new ...
- I have been searching for something like this ... I have worked 50 to 65 hours p...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Feb 9, 2015 14:42 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- Recalls Of Cars Abroad Prompt No Urgency In United States
- FHWA Opens Website For Public Reporting Of Guardrail Flaws
- Lawyers In Our Firm Settle Industrial Machine Design Case
- Aging and Dangerous Tires On Our School Buses
- Toyota Ordered to Pay $11 Million in U.S. Trial Over Fatal Sudden Unintended Acceleration Crash
Recalls Update - Feb 9, 2015 9:36 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Johnson Health Tech Recalls Matrix Fitness Strength Training Machines
- Cleaner And Degreaser Recalled For Chemical Hazard
- NPD Furniture Recalls Dining Chairs Due To Fall Hazard
- Children’s Pajamas Recalled By Star Ride Kids
- CoScentrix Expands Recall Of DD Brand Candles