Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 15:35 - 0 Comments
A recently filed NuvaRing lawsuit blames the contraceptive for a woman’s DVT, also known as deep vein thrombosis. The lawsuit, seeking damages, is one of many NuvaRing lawsuits that have been filed. Dawn Kregel, of Denton, Texas, filed the lawsuit in a Texas court against NuvaRing makers Organon USA Inc., Organon Pharmaceuticals USA Inc., Organon International Inc., Schering-Plough Corp., and Merck & Co. Inc. Ms. Kregel alleges that she suffered a DVT shortly after using the device.
Ms. Kregel used the monthly birth control device for a little over one month in 2010 and she was subsequently diagnosed with a DVT. It’s alleged that the DVT was caused by the NuvaRing device. The lawsuit was filed in the Eastern District of Texas, Sherman Division. NuvaRing is a transparent, flexible vaginal ring that provides month-long birth control by emitting a continuous dose of estrogen and progestin for 21 days. The device releases a combination of ethinyl estradiol, a form of the hormone estrogen, and etonogestral. NuvaRing is marketed as providing the same efficacy as birth control pills, but with the convenience of month-long protection.
Ms. Kregel contends that the Defendants neglected to warn that NuvaRing was linked to more thrombotic events than the pill. The Defendants were accused of marketing, promoting, and advertising NuvaRing as having a relatively low level of estrogen in order to mask the fact that it had a high level of dangerous third-generation progestin. Ms. Kregel, had she been aware of the increased risks connected to NuvaRing, would have used a different form of birth control.
Other NuvaRing lawsuits claim the birth control device caused the sudden deaths of users. An FDA study, published on October 2011, found that the NuvaRing was associated with a significantly higher risk of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism relative to standard low-dose estrogen birth control pills. The study also mentioned that continuous exposure to combined hormonal contraceptives such as the NuvaRing “potentially result in higher sustained exposure to estrogen and hence, increased thromboembolic risk. According to the Mayo Clinic, side effects of NuvaRing may include: Vaginal infection or irritation; Vaginal secretion; Increased risk of blood-clotting problems, heart attack, stroke, liver cancer, gallbladder disease and high blood pressure; fluid retention; breakthrough bleeding or spotting; weight gain; headache; depression; nausea; breast tenderness; and decreased sex drive.
It’s alleged in the NuvaRing lawsuits that, because the device delivers a constant stream of hormone unmediated by the digestive system or the liver, patients end up receiving higher doses than they do from older pills. High estrogen doses create a greater risk of blood clots, which can be fatal. Hundreds of NuvaRing lawsuits, similar to the one filed by Ms. Kregel, are currently pending in a multidistrict litigation in U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri.
Sources: PRWeb.com and The Southeast Texas Record
Leave a Reply
- Favorite Bible Verses
- U.S. Bank Settles Suit Over Force-Placed Flood Insurance
- More Info on the Xarelto Litigation
- BP Is Trying To Keep A Jury From Hearing Alabama's Case
- An Update on the State of Alabama's Case Against BP
- Regions Fined $7.5 Million For Breaking Overdraft Rules And Will Refund $49 Million To Customers
- Parting Words
- Our Monthly Reminders
- The Country Lost A True Public Servant When Beau Biden Died At Age 46
- Sean Kane Keeps A Watchful Eye On Hazardous Products
- Public Citizen Works For People
- Beasley Allen Lawyer Ali Hawthorne Talks to WAKA TV About Tire Safety
- Mary Smitherman
- Larry Golston
- Dana Taunton
- Bunnies By The Bay Recalls Pull Toys Due To Choking Hazard
- Walgreens Vitamins Recalled By International Vitamin
- What a joke, we have just stated on the 1f journey. LG is a very poor excuse for...
- I found it very useful. My Mother passed last year with a very similar story.
- Just dropped my 04 off this morning for the 4th failed window regulator since I ...
- There once was an institution called the usbank.
I am a disabled vet and soon t...
- The big bad us bank or should I say the ssbank did this flood insurance thing to...
- Hi Mark,
That is scary about your tire separation. We are thankful nobody was...
- I just had a G159 245 70r19.5 on a 35ft Class A Motor Home fail due to tread sep...
- 2005 F150 4 door. I have replaced every window motor once and the two front ones...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Jul 13, 2015 10:10 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- Chrysler Recall Ends Defective Power System Litigation
- Honda Civic Drivers Get Brake Repairs Covered In Settlement
- Ford Agrees To Settle Class Claims Over Spark Plug Defect
- Jeep Grand Cherokees Can Brake For No Reason
- Acura Recall Shows Problems In Automatic Braking System
Recalls Update - Jul 22, 2015 14:46 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Walgreens Vitamins Recalled By International Vitamin
- Positec Tool Recalls Worx Brand Blower/Vacs Due To Shock Hazard
- Ramart Recalls Swing Chairs Due To Fall Hazard
- Pali Design Recalls Children’s Furniture
- Top Fin Plastic Aquarium Heaters Recalled By PetSmart