Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 15:35 - 0 Comments
A recently filed NuvaRing lawsuit blames the contraceptive for a woman’s DVT, also known as deep vein thrombosis. The lawsuit, seeking damages, is one of many NuvaRing lawsuits that have been filed. Dawn Kregel, of Denton, Texas, filed the lawsuit in a Texas court against NuvaRing makers Organon USA Inc., Organon Pharmaceuticals USA Inc., Organon International Inc., Schering-Plough Corp., and Merck & Co. Inc. Ms. Kregel alleges that she suffered a DVT shortly after using the device.
Ms. Kregel used the monthly birth control device for a little over one month in 2010 and she was subsequently diagnosed with a DVT. It’s alleged that the DVT was caused by the NuvaRing device. The lawsuit was filed in the Eastern District of Texas, Sherman Division. NuvaRing is a transparent, flexible vaginal ring that provides month-long birth control by emitting a continuous dose of estrogen and progestin for 21 days. The device releases a combination of ethinyl estradiol, a form of the hormone estrogen, and etonogestral. NuvaRing is marketed as providing the same efficacy as birth control pills, but with the convenience of month-long protection.
Ms. Kregel contends that the Defendants neglected to warn that NuvaRing was linked to more thrombotic events than the pill. The Defendants were accused of marketing, promoting, and advertising NuvaRing as having a relatively low level of estrogen in order to mask the fact that it had a high level of dangerous third-generation progestin. Ms. Kregel, had she been aware of the increased risks connected to NuvaRing, would have used a different form of birth control.
Other NuvaRing lawsuits claim the birth control device caused the sudden deaths of users. An FDA study, published on October 2011, found that the NuvaRing was associated with a significantly higher risk of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism relative to standard low-dose estrogen birth control pills. The study also mentioned that continuous exposure to combined hormonal contraceptives such as the NuvaRing “potentially result in higher sustained exposure to estrogen and hence, increased thromboembolic risk. According to the Mayo Clinic, side effects of NuvaRing may include: Vaginal infection or irritation; Vaginal secretion; Increased risk of blood-clotting problems, heart attack, stroke, liver cancer, gallbladder disease and high blood pressure; fluid retention; breakthrough bleeding or spotting; weight gain; headache; depression; nausea; breast tenderness; and decreased sex drive.
It’s alleged in the NuvaRing lawsuits that, because the device delivers a constant stream of hormone unmediated by the digestive system or the liver, patients end up receiving higher doses than they do from older pills. High estrogen doses create a greater risk of blood clots, which can be fatal. Hundreds of NuvaRing lawsuits, similar to the one filed by Ms. Kregel, are currently pending in a multidistrict litigation in U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri.
Sources: PRWeb.com and The Southeast Texas Record
Leave a Reply
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Travis Grant Story Is A Good One
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Pollution Plagues The Water In Alabama
- New York Appeals Court Decisions May Impact Fracking Nationwide
- The Prices Of Generic Drugs Are Going Up
- John Hopkins Settles Pelvic Exam Lawsuits For $190 Million
- An Update On Boating Accidents
- There Were 10 Deaths And 123 Injured During 4th Of July Travel Period In Alabama
- Tracy Morgan Files Suit Against Wal-Mart
- OSHA Issues Safety Violations To Bridge Company
- Investigators Say Overloaded Storage Bins Caused Building Collapse
- Jury Returns $15 Million Verdict Against The Los Angeles Dodgers
- Safeguards Needed To Protect The Public Against Predatory Lenders
- Both my front window regulators crapped out on my 2004 f150 back in 2007. Haven...
- I would like to join this lawsuit, I was a manager for 3+ years. I worked many ...
- I was a store manager at a Dollar General in Jackson, GA. I worked an average o...
- I just confirmed these tires are on my 1999 Damon Intruder 35' RV.
- August 18th they go before the courts to get the settlement amount approved. The...
- CALL ASAP JEANNE Wright at 904 -514- 2572...
- Need more info. On cardinal health driver lawsiut!...
- Same here I'm one of the 1% recall and I never got a letter
And they tried to...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Aug 1, 2014 14:22 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- NHTSA Finally Issues A Rear Underride Standard
- Dangers Associated With Portable Bed Handles
- A Danger in Your Home Is Hiding In Plain Sight
- Joan Claybrook Recalls Important Product Safety Issues She Dealt With As Head Of NHTSA
- GM Stops Sales Of Some Cadillacs Over Ignition Issue
Recalls Update - Aug 1, 2014 12:23 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Unique Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. Recalls All Sterile Compounded Preparations Within Their Expire Period
- Dream On Me Recalls High Chairs Due To Strangulation And Fall Hazards
- Oeuf Recalls To Repair Cribs Due To Entrapment Hazard
- Fiberglass Boom May Conduct Electricity
- Porter-Cable Fixed-Base Production Routers Recalled Due To Electrical Shock Hazard