Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 15:35 - 0 Comments
A recently filed NuvaRing lawsuit blames the contraceptive for a woman’s DVT, also known as deep vein thrombosis. The lawsuit, seeking damages, is one of many NuvaRing lawsuits that have been filed. Dawn Kregel, of Denton, Texas, filed the lawsuit in a Texas court against NuvaRing makers Organon USA Inc., Organon Pharmaceuticals USA Inc., Organon International Inc., Schering-Plough Corp., and Merck & Co. Inc. Ms. Kregel alleges that she suffered a DVT shortly after using the device.
Ms. Kregel used the monthly birth control device for a little over one month in 2010 and she was subsequently diagnosed with a DVT. It’s alleged that the DVT was caused by the NuvaRing device. The lawsuit was filed in the Eastern District of Texas, Sherman Division. NuvaRing is a transparent, flexible vaginal ring that provides month-long birth control by emitting a continuous dose of estrogen and progestin for 21 days. The device releases a combination of ethinyl estradiol, a form of the hormone estrogen, and etonogestral. NuvaRing is marketed as providing the same efficacy as birth control pills, but with the convenience of month-long protection.
Ms. Kregel contends that the Defendants neglected to warn that NuvaRing was linked to more thrombotic events than the pill. The Defendants were accused of marketing, promoting, and advertising NuvaRing as having a relatively low level of estrogen in order to mask the fact that it had a high level of dangerous third-generation progestin. Ms. Kregel, had she been aware of the increased risks connected to NuvaRing, would have used a different form of birth control.
Other NuvaRing lawsuits claim the birth control device caused the sudden deaths of users. An FDA study, published on October 2011, found that the NuvaRing was associated with a significantly higher risk of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism relative to standard low-dose estrogen birth control pills. The study also mentioned that continuous exposure to combined hormonal contraceptives such as the NuvaRing “potentially result in higher sustained exposure to estrogen and hence, increased thromboembolic risk. According to the Mayo Clinic, side effects of NuvaRing may include: Vaginal infection or irritation; Vaginal secretion; Increased risk of blood-clotting problems, heart attack, stroke, liver cancer, gallbladder disease and high blood pressure; fluid retention; breakthrough bleeding or spotting; weight gain; headache; depression; nausea; breast tenderness; and decreased sex drive.
It’s alleged in the NuvaRing lawsuits that, because the device delivers a constant stream of hormone unmediated by the digestive system or the liver, patients end up receiving higher doses than they do from older pills. High estrogen doses create a greater risk of blood clots, which can be fatal. Hundreds of NuvaRing lawsuits, similar to the one filed by Ms. Kregel, are currently pending in a multidistrict litigation in U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri.
Sources: PRWeb.com and The Southeast Texas Record
Leave a Reply
- Favorite Bible Verses
- U.S. Supreme Court Denies Preemption Petition In Reglan Cases
- Fiat Chrysler Hit With Record $105 Million Fine by NHTSA
- Judge Denies Trinity's Request for a New Trial
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Court Says Lloyd’s Of London Can’t Avoid Having To Pay $132 Million In Train Crash Settlement
- Insurers Must Cover $25 Million Damages Against Apartment Complex
- SEC Charges 5 Persons For Insider Trading On Gilead Acquisition
- Dole CEO And General Counsel Found To Be Guilty Of Fraud
- Forex Litigation Filed In Canada
- Banks Reach Multi-Billion Dollar Settlement In Credit Default Swap Litigation
- Toro Awarded $24.3 Million In Patent Dispute With Briggs & Stratton
- Department Of Justice Starts Investigation Involving Antitrust Claims Against The Four Major Airlines
- $415 Million Google And Apple Anti-Poaching Settlement Is Approved
- Essure Victims Deserve Justice
- A Third Suit Filed Against Olympus Claiming Device Spreads Cancer
- I got the same check ~10k, not nearly what it should have been now knowing it wa...
- Correction, it's now October 9, 2015...
- I remember the Black Carbon situation and yes we were settled with and was told ...
- Yesterday, I received a check (almost $10,000.00) out of the settlement from the...
- Hello Leigh,
I hope you are doing well. I am trying to get in touch with you. ...
- We own a 2006 250 diesel. Have taken to a ford dealer for the third time to co...
- Plz away least hear my plea. I am at my wits and feel no one wants to help. Thre...
- I was having some chimney flashing repaired today...the person doing the repair ...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Oct 9, 2015 9:08 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- Benzene Causes Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Trial Judge Upholds The $55 Million Seat Belt Defect Verdict Against Honda
- Buyers Must Beware When Buying Chinese Tires
- A Settlement Reached With General Motors In Dallas County, Alabama
- Jurors Find In Favor Of A Couple In Their Blood Bank That Supplied HIV-Tainted Blood To Hospital For Blood Transfusion
Recalls Update - Sep 23, 2015 8:19 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Merck Recalls Temodar And Temozolomide Bottles With Cracked Caps Due To Failure To Meet Child-Resistant Closure Requirement
- Flowers By Zoe Recalls Girls Striped Hoodie And Neon Tie Dye Jacket Due To Strangulation Hazard
- Manhattan Group Recalls Children’s Elephant Activity Toys Due To Choking Hazard
- J.M. Mattress Recalls Renovated Mattresses
- Stork Craft Recalls Crib Mattresses