Mass Torts Update - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 15:35 - 0 Comments
A recently filed NuvaRing lawsuit blames the contraceptive for a woman’s DVT, also known as deep vein thrombosis. The lawsuit, seeking damages, is one of many NuvaRing lawsuits that have been filed. Dawn Kregel, of Denton, Texas, filed the lawsuit in a Texas court against NuvaRing makers Organon USA Inc., Organon Pharmaceuticals USA Inc., Organon International Inc., Schering-Plough Corp., and Merck & Co. Inc. Ms. Kregel alleges that she suffered a DVT shortly after using the device.
Ms. Kregel used the monthly birth control device for a little over one month in 2010 and she was subsequently diagnosed with a DVT. It’s alleged that the DVT was caused by the NuvaRing device. The lawsuit was filed in the Eastern District of Texas, Sherman Division. NuvaRing is a transparent, flexible vaginal ring that provides month-long birth control by emitting a continuous dose of estrogen and progestin for 21 days. The device releases a combination of ethinyl estradiol, a form of the hormone estrogen, and etonogestral. NuvaRing is marketed as providing the same efficacy as birth control pills, but with the convenience of month-long protection.
Ms. Kregel contends that the Defendants neglected to warn that NuvaRing was linked to more thrombotic events than the pill. The Defendants were accused of marketing, promoting, and advertising NuvaRing as having a relatively low level of estrogen in order to mask the fact that it had a high level of dangerous third-generation progestin. Ms. Kregel, had she been aware of the increased risks connected to NuvaRing, would have used a different form of birth control.
Other NuvaRing lawsuits claim the birth control device caused the sudden deaths of users. An FDA study, published on October 2011, found that the NuvaRing was associated with a significantly higher risk of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism relative to standard low-dose estrogen birth control pills. The study also mentioned that continuous exposure to combined hormonal contraceptives such as the NuvaRing “potentially result in higher sustained exposure to estrogen and hence, increased thromboembolic risk. According to the Mayo Clinic, side effects of NuvaRing may include: Vaginal infection or irritation; Vaginal secretion; Increased risk of blood-clotting problems, heart attack, stroke, liver cancer, gallbladder disease and high blood pressure; fluid retention; breakthrough bleeding or spotting; weight gain; headache; depression; nausea; breast tenderness; and decreased sex drive.
It’s alleged in the NuvaRing lawsuits that, because the device delivers a constant stream of hormone unmediated by the digestive system or the liver, patients end up receiving higher doses than they do from older pills. High estrogen doses create a greater risk of blood clots, which can be fatal. Hundreds of NuvaRing lawsuits, similar to the one filed by Ms. Kregel, are currently pending in a multidistrict litigation in U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri.
Sources: PRWeb.com and The Southeast Texas Record
Leave a Reply
- We Should Not Be Surprised By How Low BP Will Go To Get Its Way
- An Update on the ASR Hip Litigation
- 2013 Was a Banner Year for Whistleblower Cases
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Jere Beasley Report, February 2014
- An Update on the Actos Trial
- Five AndroGel Lawsuits Filed Against Abbott
- Efforts Underway to Enact Uniform Data Security Law
- Kentucky Addiction Clinic Settles False Claims Act Allegations for $15.75 Million
- GM Knew Of Cobalt Ignition Problem
- BP Oil Spill Medical Settlement Moves Forward
- Parting Words
- Monthly Reminders
- A Message From Dr. Sidney M. Wolfe For The American People
- Museum Of Alabama Has Its Grand Opening
- A Big Win In Daytona
- Please check out our GM Recall Survivors page on Facebook....
- the machine was not the cause . th cause is the consumer not reading the manual ...
- ... Sorry, TYPO! 'NOW," as of March 4, 2014, I am not hearing a knocking undern...
- I purchased a 2010 HHR in September of 2011 in order to transport my elderly par...
- KEITH COOK THESE NEW CARS DON'T HAVE POWER STEERING FLUID ITS DONE BY COMPUTER...
- YES i OWN A 2009 HHR YES THE KEY GOT STUCK THEY SAID IT WAS A BATTER IN THE K...
- I just got a call from my wife and our 2007 HHR has had the "Power Steering" pro...
- As a long-time general practice lawyer who constantly tries to educate the publ...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Mar 5, 2014 9:02 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- Seatbelts For Buses Have Been Recommended For Decades
- Aggressive Airbag Inflation Can Cause Injury And Death
- If You Want To Update Your Car – There Will Be An App For That!
- Electronic Power Steering Failures In Toyota Cars
- Final Order Issued In $1.15 Billion California Lead Paint Case
Recalls Update - Mar 5, 2014 11:07 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Company Recalls 8.7 Million Pounds Of Meat
- Runway Global Recalls Girls’ Sugarfly Hooded Jackets
- Lion Force Recalls Boys’ Puffer Coats Due To Strangulation Hazard
- BebeLove Recalls Baby Walkers Due To Fall And Entrapment Hazards
- Agila Specialties Private Limited Recalls 10 Lots Of Etomidate Injection 2 mg/mL – 10 mL And 20 mL