The Consumer Corner - Written by Beasley Allen on Thursday, February 9, 2012 15:25 - 2 Comments

Claims Of Whirlpool Dishwashers Catching Fire Prompts Investigation

The Consumer Products Safety Commission has started an investigation into Whirlpool after a dishwashers made by the company caught fire. The complaint says a design defect in the control panel can cause fires in the machines. The brands involved in the complaint are KichenAid, Kenmore, and Whirlpool. Whirlpool also has begun an internal investigation into the reports. The CPSC wants anyone who has had a problem or concern with a Whirlpool dishwasher to call them. The Consumer Products Safety Commission can be reached toll free at (800) 638-2772 Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Source: CPSC

Anita Lambert
Feb 13, 2012 23:10

My Whirlpool dishwasher caught fire the Sunday before Christmas. It appeared to have started at the lower outside of the dishwasher with the insulation catching fire. I am not sure what the root cause was. It took forever to put it out. My son and I were pouring water on it but could not put it out. We had to call the fire department to come out. There is now a hole burned into the lower right side of the dishwasher (as I am facing it.)

I had run the dishwasher the night before. This happened late around 11:30 pm when my son heard a strange sound coming from the kitchen. When he got up to investigate he followed the sound to the dishwasher and found open flames inside it. If this had been 20 minutes later, I would have been in bed with the door closed and my son would have been up stairs. We would not have known about the fire until the smoke alarm sounded off. I can’t imaging how much damage might have been done at that point.

I never dreamed a dishwasher could catch fire.

Jean Ketner
May 10, 2012 4:03

I installed a Whirlpool dishwasher a few months ago. Which models are having the control panel fire hazard issue?? This information should be published for consumers. If I have a model that has a fire promoting control panel, who should I call to have a repairman come out and replace the control panel free of charge??