Capitol Observations, The Consumer Corner - Written by Beasley Allen on Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:56 - 1 Comment
Richard Shelby has been very good at bringing federal dollars to Alabama during his time in the U.S. Senate. He has been responsible for the steady flow of federal earmarks that have benefited Alabama institutions to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars a year. But these dollars will dry up under a two-year ban adopted on November 16th by Senate Republicans. Senator Shelby opposed the moratorium, saying it would permanently end the state’s ability to finance major road, construction, research and infrastructure projects with extra federal dollars. As expected, Senator Jeff Sessions likes the ban and supported it. I agree with Senator Shelby who has directed thousands of earmarks back to the state during his 24 years in the Senate. I believe Alabama will suffer greatly if the ban stays in place.
Some of the folks who “cuss” earmarks may not even know what they are. As I understand it, earmarks refer to line items inserted into the federal budget by individual lawmakers to direct money to special projects in their states. Senator Shelby has been very good to our state as a result. Alabama always has ranked high in earmark dollars per capita. Typically, the earmarks have financed water and sewer projects, new roads and bridges, historic building renovations, museums, university research, private defense contractors doing work for the military, and upgrades of equipment for local law enforcement.
Source: Birmingham News
Leave a Reply
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- Favorite Bible Verses
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- J&J Pays Oregon $4 Million To Settle Hip Implant Marketing Claims
- EPA Should Update Fracking Pollution Regulations
- Deepwater Fracking Raises Environmental Concerns
- $27.8 Million Settlement Finalized In TVA Coal Ash Spill
- Illinois Transport Company Settles Fatal Crash Suit For $2.7 Million
- Settlement For Family Of College Student Killed In Crash After Alabama National Championship Game
- Macy’s Fined $1 Million For Decapitation Of Warehouse Employee
- Texas Plastics Plant Fined $174,000 For Safety And Health Violations
- OSHA Says Safety Violation Continue At Oklahoma Oil Refinery
- Company Cited In Fatal West Virginia Cell Tower Collapse
- New Safety Directive Issued By OSHA On Communication Tower Work
- $27 Million Verdict Returned In Texas Against McDonald’s
- Was just wondering if you can still be in this lawsuit. I was a manager for 8 yr...
- I keep reading that the pratice of steering is illegal and whole-heartidly suppo...
- Hello William, thank you for your question. We are not aware of any pending liti...
- Has litigation commenced as a result of this recall?...
- Sorry I meant to say settlement papers, but I did speak to someone in the Lawyer...
- I just spoke to someone and was told it will be another month or two before I wi...
- 2005 F150 super cab. Driver side regulator just broke. Dealer wants $200 just fo...
- Today, the 4th window failed in my 2004 F-150 SuperCrew - I bought it new and th...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Sep 4, 2014 13:13 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- More Problems With Goodyear RV Tires
- NHTSA Offers Online Vehicle Recall Check
- Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Mazda For Engine Valve Defect
- GM Sued For Alleged Antifreeze Defect In Chevy Cruze Models
- Settlement By Kia And Hyundai In Fuel Efficiency MDL Is Approved
Recalls Update - Sep 4, 2014 11:03 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- USDA Recalls 7.5 Tons Of Applegate Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- J&J Unit Recalls Hysterectomy Device Over Cancer Fears
- Samson International Recalls Bar Stool Due To Fall Hazard
- Bexco Recalls Franklin & Ben Mason 4-in-1 Convertible Cribs Due To Fall And Entrapment Hazards
- Ace Bayou Bean Bag Chairs Recalled Because Of Suffocation And Choking Hazards