Product Liability - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 13:27 - 0 Comments
Ford Motor Co. has settled a Mississippi lawsuit over a 2001 accident in which Brian Cole, a top New York Mets prospect, was killed when his SUV crashed in the Florida Panhandle. The settlement came shortly after the jury in Jasper County had awarded $131 million in actual damages to the victim’s family and before it was to consider awarding punitive damages. The settlement amount and terms are confidential.
Cole, then 22, died from injuries he suffered when his Ford Explorer overturned as he drove home on March 31, 2001, from spring training in Port St. Lucie, Florida, to Meridian, Mississippi, with his cousin, Ryan Cole. Brian Cole was ejected from the SUV. He was taking his Explorer home and was to fly to Binghamton, New York, to join the Mets’ Double-A team for its season opener. The one-car accident occurred on Interstate 10. Brian Cole, who was single and the youngest of five children, was pronounced dead at Jackson Memorial Hospital. Ryan Cole, then 17, was treated and released. The family made two claims: the Explorer was unstable and its safety belts didn’t work in rollovers, which allowed Brian Cole to be thrown out of the car during the rollover despite being belted.
Brian Cole went to Meridian High School and was Baseball America’s junior college player of the year in 1998 at Navarro Junior College in Texas. He was selected by the Mets in the 18th round of the 1998 amateur draft and turned down a football scholarship to Florida State. Tab Turner, a very good lawyer from Little Rock, Arkansas, represented the Plaintiff and he did a very good job.
Leave a Reply
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- J&J Pays Oregon $4 Million To Settle Hip Implant Marketing Claims
- MF Global Officers’ Defense Cost Already At $48 Million
- GSK Fined Record $489 Million For Bribery In China
- Bank Of America’s Mortgage Backed Securities Settlement Is The Most Consumer Friendly Deal Struck Thus Far
- Alabama Supreme Court Affirms Class-Action Status For $3.2 Billion Investor Lawsuit Against CVS Caremark
- U.S. Senate Confirms Jill Pryor To 11th Circuit
- Alabama Campaigns Move Slowly Towards November
- The National Scene Begins To Generate Interest
- United Kingdom’s Government Backs BP
- U.S. Chamber Sides With Foreign Oil Company Over Its Own Members
- Halliburton Reaches Settlement On Claims
- A Confirmation Of Judge Barbier’s Ruling That BP Was Grossly Negligent
- my recall was just preformed and power steering has gone out. are these two issu...
- I would like to know if I have A case that your firm would take on. I had severe...
- If possible, I would love to join the class action law suit.
We own a 2004 F 35...
- I am wondering about this lawsuit. What the outcome is....
- You can find more information about Lipitor and its connection to Type 2 diabete...
- Doug Godberson and Jerry Leckness, regardless of the brand of tires, you should ...
- We have two 2004 Ford F-150 trucks. My son's truck's windows starting falling ...
- I heard on WSFA last night that women are being affected by Lipitor and Crestor ...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Oct 2, 2014 13:14 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- NHTSA Looking Into Ford Fiesta Door Latch Problems
- NHTSA Looks At Chrysler Minivan Stalling Issue
- NHTSA Puts Blame on GM For Hiding Ignition Switch Defect
- Aurora Shooting Victims Sue Ammunition E-Retailers
- Children’s Clothing Should Never Be Fire Traps
Recalls Update - Oct 2, 2014 9:39 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- FDA Tells Compounder To Recall Contaminated Goods Again
- More Than 200,000 Pairs Of Children’s Sunglasses Recalled
- Cabrinha Recalls Kiteboarding Control System Due To Risk Of Injury
- iDevices Recalls Temperature Probes Due To Ingestion Hazard
- AmTRAN Video Recalls To Repair 42-Inch JVC Flat Panel Televisions