The Consumer Corner - Written by Beasley Allen on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:49 - 89 Comments

Woodforest Bank Agrees To $12 Million In Overdraft Refunds

Woodforest Bank has agreed to refund more than $12 million to consumers who were charged high on bank accounts. In addition, the bank will pay a $400,000 penalty to the federal Office of Thrift Supervision (OTS). It’s the toughest penalty ever imposed by OTS regarding , as a debate over the fees heats up. Woodforest will repay current and former customers “who were misled about the cost of overdraft protection and charged excessive overdraft-protection fees.” Woodforest’s business relied “upon an unreasonably high level of aggregate fees,” according to OTS.

The 169-unit savings bank has 35 offices in Alabama Wal-Mart stores. The savings bank’s owner, Woodforest Financial Group of Woodlands, Texas, also owns the 577-unit Woodforest National Bank. Existing and former depositors charged since January 2, 2008, will get refunds. Under the order, the bank must repay eligible customers by June 23rd. Customers seeking more information can call 1-877-968-7962.

Consumer advocates have been pushing for federal action to cap bank charges for a long time. Customers overdraw accounts by $20 on average, but are charged higher fees, according to Jean Ann Fox of the Consumer Federation of America. She added: “They can charge astronomical interest rates for short-term cash advances, and they don’t have to quote the (rate).” Wal-Mart shoppers fit the profile of banking customers most likely to get caught in a spiral of overdraft charges (low- to moderate-income, female-headed households). It should be safe for low-balance consumers to have a bank account, according to Ms. Fox. I agree with that assessment.

Source: Al.com

elizabeth kennedy
Oct 24, 2010 12:18

how do i find out if i have money coming from the overdraft lawsuit

Caytie Petite
Dec 6, 2010 20:12

Just recieved my check, what a life saver!

demetress winfield
Dec 10, 2010 12:08

this is a scam I have been with this company since 2007 and was charge $5.00 for negative balances and $34.00 overdraft fees continually and I only received $3.00 they did not reimburse me. scam…..

MJ
Dec 14, 2010 15:54

We have had many bad months in the past because of these overdraft fees. Including one month when we had over $300 in overdraft fees. So you can imagine my shock when we only recived $12. What can I do? My family is in a situation where we need the money now more than ever.

Malinda
Dec 31, 2010 9:43

I received mine on the 8th. I actually just opened it today. Thought is was a scam… had to look it up before I took it to the bank. 1600 dollars!!! thank goodness!!!

amelia Street
Mar 1, 2011 11:40

I closed my account because of the mounting charges but I called and they said I was not on the list for rebate. Who can I address this to instead of the bank?

David P.
Mar 20, 2011 12:20

This bank is as shady as they come! Not only do they charge outrageous fees, but they don’t provide enough information when you get your e-statements to see what some of the transactions were for. When you email them to find out more information about the transaction, they charge you $2.00. It is a vicious cycle with this bank. But the kicker is……..I bank in San Antonio at the Woodforest branch in Wal-mart on SE Loop 410 and Rigsby–and the manager took $50 out of my account without giving me any kind of notice. I pulled up the trasaction record for May 5, 2009–and the scanned copy of the debit was signed by the manager and the memo for the transaction only stated “Xfer to proper account”. This led me to believe that they had accidentally made a deposit that was supposed to be for another customer into my account. I pulled up my transaction history, and NO $50 deposit was ever placed into my account by the bank. They STOLE $50 from me. When I went to the branch in person to get more information about the transaction (on several occasions) the manager was always “unavailable”. I went to a different branch to see if anyone there could help me, and one of the other branch managers told me “very secretively” that it looks like the manager “improperly took the funds”. I asked her to please conduct an inquiry into the transaction to help me get the $50 deposited back into my account, and she said she would “take care of it.” After 4 weeks of waiting and not seeing my money, I went back to the manager who said she would help me (at the Wal-mart branch on Jones-Maltsberger in San Antonio) and she acted like she had NEVER spoken with me. She pretended to not know anything about my situation. These people are very, very shady. The customer service is awful. When you go into a branch to make a straight cash deposit, they treat you like you have to “qualify” just to put your cash in your bank. A straight deposit should never take 5 minutes. They are pulling up screen after screen, scratching their heads like they’ve never seen a straight cash deposit for $500. Needless to say, I’ve closed my account and now bank with Wells Fargo. I banked there because it was close to my house, and I shop at Wal-mart at least once a week. I thought it would be convenient, but did not realize I would be stolen from. I never did get my money back. Avoid these deceptive people at all cost.

thomas kenneth battle
Mar 28, 2011 12:57

the charges on my acount as a overdraft fee 90.00 on my checking account with woodforestnational bank my attorney is working on this acct as for bank privreleges o n a claim of a identity theft settlement penalty of law commonwealth of virginia city of danville attorney at law william h young 1540-951-3740

thomaskbattle
Apr 19, 2011 13:19

.Ialso have aclaim n chicago ill transunion credit report because of a student loan dated amt 1.00000.000 million 20.000 data settlementnotary public viable verge 50.000 countrywidedata if I could get a cash advance on my settlement tobuy a nissan maximma 434-797-1320

thomaskbattle
Apr 19, 2011 13:28

I can send woodforestnational bank a police report defendent insurance policy documents case not on a contingency basis liabitility admitted yes or no find out from attorney i am on social security

Mayeth
May 6, 2011 19:05

This is bank is unbelievable, I worked in wal-mart before and since the bank inside the store I open an account with them and use this bank as my primary bank and use for my bills the thing is they charge me too much when my bill came straight to my bank and not enough fund they charge my $30 plus $5 per day you didn’t fund the bank, this bank help me to be in debt, every pay check it go straight to this bank and cover the over draft plus the $5 per day so in $10 days that’s $50 huge that’s why I told myself I’m not gonna get full with WOODFOREST BANK!!! My experience with this bank is absolutely bad!!!!

Gracie T. Lumpkin
Jun 1, 2011 9:00

My husband and myself opened an account with Woodforest National Bank in Whitehall, Ohio in December 2010. We are in Greensboro, N.C. visiting relatives for a while so we do our banking at the branch in Wal-Mart Pyramids Village shopping plaza. Today is Wednesday June 1, 2011 and my husband went to the bank this morning and our direct deposit from Ford Motor in Ohio was only $28.00!! These people are a bunch of fraud artists and their overdraft fees are outrageous!! We were charged $380.00 in overdraft fees for 2 transactions. We are in the process of taking these crooks to court as I post this. How come these crooks aren’t prosecuted to the fullest and sent to jail? Our judicial system are crooks too so crooks always watch each others backs!! Fight for your rights people because the crooks are ruling the world!!

Mrs. Dempsey
Sep 13, 2011 10:23

I was supposed to receive a check but the bank took it back saying I owed them for non sufficient funds fees. I thought they were the same as overdraft fees I guess I was wrong. The bank never completed a transaction for me only deposits. Well lesson learned I guess. Woodforest bank is a joke and a big scam. Be weary when dealing with this bank.

debra horton
Sep 30, 2011 9:28

how do i find out if im owed money back

Julie Stevens
Dec 30, 2011 9:28

I would like to see if I can get anoverdtaft charge refunded

Julie Stevens
Dec 30, 2011 9:32

Refunded over draft charge would be nicej

zach
May 16, 2012 13:05

i got a 1700 dollar check from them it was awesome

Edna tipton
Jun 6, 2012 10:33

Oh yes, bunch of crooks. I received a letter saying they were ordered in a lawsuit to refund overdraft fees, but they simply credited that amount to the closed account saying it was overdrawn because of the fee they imposed on me for CLOSING THE ACCOUNT. So they only issued a refund on their paper trail, I never got a cent of the hundreds of dollars they stole from me! I would make my deposits, and they’d tell me the funds were available (per manager) and to go ahead and pay my bills…this after I’d already had many bad experiences and filed complaints with several branch managers….then 11 days later they decided no, they wanted to put holds on my deposits which had cleared the issuing checks banks the day after my deposit! I would get letters in the mail, saying they’d placed holds on my deposits (up to 15 days in many cases!) way AFTER my account had showed the deposited checks as cleared and availble for use! Then they charged me $35 dollars for every transaction I ever made through my account!
Crooks. That’s what they are! When I called the main office in TX I was told that’s their policy and I shouldn’t have paid my bills till they said I could! I told them their own branch manager TOLD me my deposits were cleared, and they impatiently explaned that they (in the main office) had over ridden what the branch manager had noted on my account!
I went to several different branches, talked to managers at all of them, and at one the manager even stated “it’s people like YOU who can’t be responsible with their money and bank accounts and who don’t know how to pay their bills that cause problems like this!” as she rolled her eyes at me and my complaints!
I was incredibly happy to see they’d finally been taken to court for their actions, however even though they lost in the lawsuit, I still never got any money refunded.

GEOGE ROOKS
Sep 22, 2012 19:08

HOW DO I FOUND OUT IF I GOT MONEY COMEING TO ME

connie brown
Dec 29, 2012 9:20

hOW DO i FIND OUT AGAINST WOODFOREST. i REPORTED TO NATIONAL BANK ONLINE.

kdeh2
Jul 8, 2013 12:32

Why do people not do their RESEARCH before choosing their banks?? Information on banks and their business practices are easily found out about via a quick google search! Woodforest National Bank is one of the biggest crooks out there when it comes to YOUR money! I for one checked them out after a relative went to work for them, he was forced into opening an account as an employee and forced as well to pay an extravagant amount (almost $200.00) for his shirts he had to wear…one color for each day of the week.. Well I did my research as I always have in the past on other banks before placing my money into their hands and have read nothing but horror stories from their current and past employees, as well as current and past customers, yet they keep getting away with their thieving ways. Whats up with that? Why hasn’t this crooked bank been closed down and those poor customers money – ALL OF IT been returned to them- IN CASH!!?? Also, I checked the BBB but found an A rating!! Why does the BBB have so many complaints against them and yet rates them an ‘A’ just because Woodforest compensated those who made the official complaints? 86 of them I counted from customers, not including others complaints made against them, yet the BBB is rating them an A!! This is total BULL! If a company is getting so many complaints, it should be RATED as such regardless of their remedying it. I am also appalled that Walmart’s is associating itself with these people. They obviously do not care about either their EMPLOYEES getting ripped off , nor their CUSTOMERS who are being bombarded by Woodforest National Bank Employees every time they walk into or out of Walmarts!!!

Seriously people, there are so many good banks out there you can really trust. Charles Schwab is a good one and even pays YOU interest on your checking and savings both…no min. deposit required and reimburses you all ATM fee’s no matter where you are in the world! There are other banks too that still know how to be ethical and treat their customers very well.

We as American Consumers need to pull all our money out of these crooked banks and put OUR money- NOT THEIRS- into trustworthy hands.

Best advice to those who have been ripped off…..DO THE RESEARCH! Don’t just give your money over to just anyone!

Marquita Anderson
Feb 15, 2014 14:40

I was involved with Woodforest. How can I join the lawsuit

Abraham Garza
Feb 18, 2014 1:07

My aunt received a notice yesterday that she would be receiving payment aswell. I am her power of attorney how do I find out this and should I get my banking records. I no longer bank with the scam artists neither does my aunt. A refund would be nice!!!

Brian A. Keathley
Feb 20, 2014 17:26

We received a card in the mail about the lawsuit. Do we need to do anything further?

Cheryl A King
Feb 24, 2014 8:52

How can I find out if I am included in this settlement and when the monies be disbursed.

theresa a gillon
Feb 24, 2014 11:58

how do I find out how much money I am going to get back on the web site it doest show me hoe to retain it thank u

theresa a gillon
Feb 24, 2014 12:02

how do I get this money

Cheryl A. King
Mar 24, 2014 4:12

How do I find out if I am eligible for a refund. I was once a Wood Forest customer. My address has changed in the last year, how would you find me.

Byron Moore
Mar 25, 2014 13:02

I.too received a post card about this class action lawsuit, an need to know who I need to talk to

Dougla Sheets
Mar 28, 2014 11:41

i have been with them for years and i am now trying to pay a debt of over draft off and they would not let me close my account and pay the amount off, had to keep open and they charge me a fee every month to kept account open. I have been charge lots of over fee of 30.00 and 2.00 draft fee. My wife tried to close the account when i went missing for a month and spent over 20,000.00 and she even called the home branch and they would not close the account and i went over 800 and some dollars. I went to rehab and went to make arrangement to make payment and they said i could not close the account and i was charge money even thou i am making my last payment in april and have made monthly payments on time, until last payment wont close. who do i contact to add my name to the law suit.

Lou Lehmiller
Apr 1, 2014 6:13

I was overcharged a great deal of money by wood forest how do I get my refund. Please contact me.

Nathan
Apr 2, 2014 16:28

A complete copy of the Settlement Agreement can be viewed on the website.For more information: http://www.WoodforestOverdraftSettlement.com, 1-866-880-0214,or Woodforest Overdraft Settlement, PO Box 3097, Faribault MN 55021-2697

Samara Washington
Apr 8, 2014 15:53

I received a post card in the mail about the lawsuit and I am a former customer of Woodforest Bank. The post card stated I didn’t have to do anything. I would like to know is there a way to find out if I will be getting a refund check or if I need to contact somebody concerning this matter?

patricia jackson
Apr 22, 2014 18:55

When ir how do I get my money dur to all the overdrafts fees that have been charged to me over the years

Karen White
Apr 25, 2014 23:18

I banked with this bank. They kept a revolving overdraft fee on my account so long that it eventually forced me to shut it down! They would give you two different amounts for funds available if you would call the “toll free number” for your balance. This bank is beyond “shady”. They have no clue the situation they put you in when what you were depositing each month was taken by 34.00 overdrafts.They would allow you to overdraft until they figured out exactly how much money was being deposited monthly! It was incredible what cheats they are. Yes they closed my account out; Only after ripping me off and not even blinking!

Thomas Henton
Apr 26, 2014 10:57

I had woodforest bank in Houston tx, but i got card in the mail!

Cory Broadnax
May 12, 2014 10:09

I was told that i’m a part of the lawsuit and there was supose to be a hearing on it come may 19 . I wood like to no ,when will i hear from some one.

Lisa Tracey
May 15, 2014 17:36

I also received a postcard stating I was involved in this lawsuit what do I do now

Ruby
May 20, 2014 9:49

What was the outcome form May 19th lawsuit.

LaToya Pender
May 20, 2014 10:44

I received a correspondence in the mail. I have also contacted the wood forest settlement line no live person to talk to. I really would like to know who we can call.

anna desnoyers
May 26, 2014 8:45

does any one know what happen in court..

anna desnoyers
May 26, 2014 8:57

The Court entered a formal order and judgment approving the Settlement with Woodforest National Bank and Woodforest Bank. The Effective Date of the Settlement cannot yet be precisely determined, but is presently expected to occur on or around June 27, 2014. The Settlement Fund proceeds will be distributed through the issuance of an account credit or by mailed check after the Effective Date does occur.

Copies of the final approval order and judgment are available under the Court Documents section of this website.

Lisa Tracey
Jun 2, 2014 11:19

I was wondering if there was A. Way to find out just how much we.will b receiving

louis rogan
Jun 4, 2014 11:27

I was named in an Ohio settlement and need to know wken to expect my check. I was told it would be in may.It is now jJune. Does anyone know the law firm handling the Ohio suit? Also I have moved so wold like to find law firm to let them Know

Misslily
Jun 5, 2014 19:09

The Wood Forest bank hot line states that a court date is yet to be determined and hot line says it should be around June 27th, but who knows when???? When it is all said and done, if you still have an account with Wood Forest, they will refund your money through that bank account. Should we trust Wood Forest????? I say we all should have our checks for whatever amount, mailed to us as this is another way we will be able to get a refund. We wouldn’t have to worry about any stealing but if they sent us a check for 3 dollars we may have to pay 5 dollars to get it cashed lol.

Maria Balderas
Jun 16, 2014 8:43

I bank with Wood Forest bank. How can I find out if I’m entitled to this refund on the overdrafts that have been taken from me?

Adrien Council
Jun 26, 2014 9:18

I am wondering how many days after the effective date will we receive a deposit or a check. I wish that they would give us more info.

anna desnoyers
Jun 26, 2014 12:19

how long after the 6/27/14 date will they start giving out the checks..i wish we all ,more info on this

Janette Bradford
Jun 28, 2014 10:24

I did talk to the attorney’s office that represented us in the class action suit and was told that disbursement will start on Monday, June 30, 2014.

Deborah
Jun 29, 2014 14:16

Is everyone that got a letter stating they were part of the lawsuit gets money hor overdraft fees ?

Deborah
Jun 29, 2014 14:16

From , sorry.

Connie moriatis
Jun 30, 2014 11:26

You only get overdraft charges back if your fees were in the group that was charged as to the lawsuit.
It might not be very much.

ms joyce
Jun 30, 2014 20:34

If you received a card does it mean the person would be entitled to part of the settlement. I just mentioned the suite to my bank rep and they knew nothing about it. They said the only one they knew about was 2010 and it had already been paid out by them. (?)

janette b
Jul 8, 2014 9:33

ANYBODY GOT A REFUND YET?

Becca
Jul 8, 2014 10:09

NOPE! I guess they will probably take every bit of those 30 days to pay up.

robin m
Jul 11, 2014 6:00

Have anybody received there settlement check yet from woodforest bank. It really don’t make any since people has waited long enough, it would be nice to something in the mail this weekend, wishful thinking.

Jennifer thomas
Jul 11, 2014 6:07

I got a refund deposited today. Honestly. Had forgotten about it, so it was a,nice surprise.

nikki
Jul 11, 2014 11:28

Good for you Jennifer Thomas. I am still waiting for my check. Hope everyone gets their checks soon. I have been waiting and checking the mail everyday.

janette b
Jul 11, 2014 14:31

I’M WAITING TOO……

Steven Tucker
Jul 11, 2014 15:23

I want to find out if i will be getting a check…Is there a working phone number that has a live person to talk to? OR is there a website that i can find out if i will get a check ? I would really like to know.

Becca
Jul 12, 2014 10:05

I had been in contact by email. The person I was in contact with asked for my full name and current and previous addresses. I STILL have an account there and have been a customer since 2003 and did receive a postcard, but for some reason they have no record of me.

Ruby
Jul 16, 2014 13:14

Can someone give a contact if I will be receiving a diesbursement. I have not received a check by mail.

Harold G. warren
Jul 16, 2014 14:10

I too received a card, I was living in Crosby, Tx at the time this all happen. I’m living in California now. How do I receive my money?

Harold G. warren
Jul 16, 2014 14:13

I received a card also, when will I receive my money.
weydevu2@gmail.com

Mieshial Chrissman
Jul 17, 2014 15:37

my daughter received a $whole $9.00 credit to her account from the settlement! WOW

Melissa Werts
Jul 22, 2014 18:52

Has anyone received any checks yet??? Beginning to think this was a hoax and not real. I have sent a letter to the court that presided over this lawsuit and have not heard anything back yet.

Kelli C
Jul 23, 2014 7:47

I too received a post card about being part of the settlement. I have had three accounts with Woodforest since 2005. I figured by now I would have gotten something but it would be nice if there was a way to check on status and how much. I had major issues with OD fees back then so I would assume I would receive a check and not a credit into my current account. A friend of mine did receive a $36 credit back on July 7th I believe. I haven’t seen or heard anything. I have been making the mail lady happy by clearing out my mailbox daily vs once a week or so like normal however!lol If I have not received anything by Friday of this week I will be writing a letter unless anyone has a phone number aside for the automated waste of time number that’s listed on the settlement page???

Aimee C
Jul 23, 2014 8:27

I emailed the contact us section of the website for the settlement as I have had accounts with Woodforest since 2006. They informed me I would be getting a check however checks were not being mailed out till the end of July. Even though I still have a current account with them it wouldn’t be credited because the account I had od on is closed. Hope this helps others to know.

nikki shireman
Jul 23, 2014 11:05

Thanks for the update Aimee C. I hope my check comes before my birthday in August.

nikki shireman
Jul 23, 2014 13:09

I just found out that I am only getting $9.02 for two accounts I had that were closed and even though I paid one closed account off and start to pay off the other. What a rip off.

Kelli C
Jul 23, 2014 15:23

This definitely helps Amiee C….Thank you for posting this information.

And Nikki, how did you find out how much you were getting?

Patricia Chandler
Jul 23, 2014 21:01

Hello my name is Patricia I live in Ohio & I too got a post card stating I was included in a class act lawsuit, I too think Woodforest Bank is a scam & its not right all the 34.00 overdraft fees they put on us. Its not their place to pay something if we don’t have the funds in our account if we never approved of it. It got to the point where they called me & said do you want a transaction to go through? Heck after numerous transactions they put through after me complaining about the overdraft fees. They are a Big Scam. That bank got over on alot of people & made us close our accounts cause we couldn’t afford to keep up on the overdraft fee payment. thats not fair. How do we find out how much were getting & when.

Kelli C
Jul 24, 2014 8:18

Patricia, I emailed the email address on the official settlement website. They emailed back this morning asking for my full name and mailing addresses (current and at the time of having the acct) so that they could look into my status. I don’t know if they will email back details or not but I will come back on here if they do and let you all know.

Becca
Jul 24, 2014 10:05

They’ll probably get back to you. We emailed back and forth and they are claiming they have no record of me, which is curious as I still have the same account I opened back in 2003. I did receive some kind of scam email after posting about it in my Yahoo email box.

Kelli C
Jul 24, 2014 10:20

I haven’t gotten anything back from this mornings email but its only been a few hours. I gave them my old account numbers (only those that are closed accts) as well assuming that I wont receive anything from the open account at this point. It would be nice to find out something. Hope you can get more information Becca. Maybe you didn’t have any OD amounts that were caused by the sequencing from largest to smallest dollar amounts and that’s why they don’t show any info???

Ashley
Jul 25, 2014 17:14

Summary of the legal rights and options of settlement class members

The Effective Date of the Settlement was June 27, 2014. Distribution of awards via an account credit or award check is now complete. Account credits were issued on July 11, 2014, and award checks were mailed on July 25, 2014. Award checks were mailed in the form of a postcard check.

Joann Grippa
Jul 26, 2014 8:56

I have a account with Woodforest National Bank and have been charged many overdraft fees and I got a postcard But I have not heard anything about a check or deposit in my account. What should I do?

Lacey
Jul 28, 2014 10:05

I received a check in the mail today. I completely forgot about getting the post card. I felt like queen of overdrafs with them, literally hundreds of dollars and my check is a whole 28$. It honestly looks like nothing from the outside and doesn’t even look like a real check, it’s tiny and thick.

Boom Boom
Jul 28, 2014 14:27

Who negotiated these terms? Really?!! Nineteen dollars. I think I want to sue counsel. We should start a class action against them. I feel like I’ve been robbed twice.

ray branch
Jul 28, 2014 15:02

Why I only got $ 9.58 & all the rich got big checks , I shouldn’t have to settle for that amount if their was a suit, because my lawer wouldn’t have settle fot $ 9.58 and I’m going to have my Lawer to find out why I should have got more.

Bruce
Jul 28, 2014 15:23

Oh wow, 12 million dollars awarded, I got a settlement check for 27 dollars, more crooks (the lawyers)

Theresa
Jul 29, 2014 18:51

I only received 9.58!!!! WOW!!! On July 29th

Loa
Jul 30, 2014 19:58

This is a big joke i only got 90$ in my account and what happen when they say that they will refunded every money that they owed us from that settlement i guess they used it to pay the lawyer instead of paying there customer well like the old folks saying what goes around comes around there time come someday will be out of business because how crook they are

Justine Baldwin
Jul 30, 2014 20:02

My fiance only received 38.00 and I know for sure he was over drafted by hundreds of dollars…and he also said the check look fake some things not right here

venita bryson
Aug 1, 2014 20:26

i have banked with woodforest bank at Walmart in enterprise ,al and have never heard anything about this or received any letters. how do I pursue this allegation?

Ruby
Aug 4, 2014 9:37

Lol I recieved $18.96 and I cashed that same day I received it. I know it was more but oh well

Wanda Dordal
Aug 12, 2014 11:39

How do I find out if I am one of the ones to receive a check?

Stephanie Brodie
Sep 16, 2014 11:57

Never know there was a lawsuit against WFB, not until I clicked on to there website. WNB never sent out a notice to customers.

Richard Hafner
Oct 2, 2014 16:01

I went through this the first time Woodforrest had to settle overdraft fees in 2010 and I receive a check for around $38.00 and any balance they claimed I owed on my closed account was cleared. Later on I reopened an account in San Antonio Texas only to have the same problem. I let the account close because due to health problems and the fees mounted , then I was forced on diability and went to the bank to see about opening an account or what I needed to do so I could get another account at another bank. I was told I owed $262.00 in overdraft fees but they would accept $186.00 to pay it off. I told them I would see if I could get the money and had to wait, in the meantime I receive a check for $9.58 . I thought since the settlement cleared my old account that it was taken care of. I went to the bank and was told no that I still had to pay the $262.00 but they could reduce it to $202.00. I told them that 2 months before they said I only had to pay $186.00 but they refused to accept that and the $202.00 was all they could do. If there was a settlement why do I have to pay the fees and what was the purpose of the check they sent me. I guess i’m screwed to get another account at another bank until there are paid , and I wonder how much I will owe next time I check with them . Can anyone explain to me how this works ?