The Consumer Corner - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, March 2, 2010 15:05 - 39 Comments

Settlement Approved in Shingles Lawsuit

A federal judge in Philadelphia has granted preliminary approval of a class-action possibly worth as much as $600 million to resolve up to tens of thousands of claims over allegedly faulty organic roofing shingles manufactured by Valley Forge-based CertainTeed Corp. The final amount of the will depend on the number of claims for damages actually filed. CertainTeed sold the organic shingles under a dozen brand names, including Hallmark Shangle, Independence Shangle, Horizon Shangle, and Hearthstead, all of which were discontinued “several years ago,” according to the company. With more than 65 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada, CertainTeed had more than $3 billion in sales in 2008.

The is being hailed as a victory for wronged consumers. Persons who own or have owned buildings affected by the allegedly defective shingles – installed since July 1987 – will receive between $34 and $74 per square. In roofing terms, a square is 100 square feet. The shingles were composed of organic felt, which was made from recycled paper, cardboard, and wood.

It was reported that CertainTeed shingles, subject to the , would develop cracks three or four years after installation, which could allow water ultimately to penetrate the roof and cause damage to walls and ceilings. Most of the roofing world has since transitioned to fiberglass shingles, which CertainTeed also makes. U.S. District Judge Louis H. Pollak has scheduled a final hearing on the matter for June 8th. It would settle that started in 2007 and involves Plaintiffs in 18 states. Halunen & Associates, a Minneapolis , represents Plaintiffs in the class-action .

Source: Philly.com

Neal Matchett
May 6, 2010 11:46

I need to find out if I can still enter the class action lawsuit against Certainteed for the Horizon Shangle which was installed on my new home in 1996-1997 timeframe. I have had repeated wind damage to the roof and the most recent storm in late April, 2010 caused more damage. The insurance adjuster looked at the damage and wrote me a check to replace a portion but not all of the roof but I acnnot find matching shingles (Horizon three tab Praire Wood ).

ron bruss
Aug 13, 2010 18:30

our house burned and new shingles put on in 2001. met life was our insurance company. we would like to know if we could get some kind of settlement, since they did not last even 9 years, when they did have a 15 year guarantee. we would appreciate and answer if possible. thankyou., ron bruss

Michael Mahr
Oct 30, 2010 16:40

Can I still enter the lawsuit on the Certainteed Horizon shangles? I have had nothing but trouble with these shingles since they were installed in 2001. They mostly are disssingrating and will not stick down.

Rhonda Bork
Mar 15, 2011 16:18

We are looking at a house to purchase. The elderly woman says the roof is only about 7 years old , but the inspector says they are shot. Can people still get help with the defective shingles?? Her plywood is spongy in some places from the blistered and cracking shingles.

Blake Behmer
Jul 31, 2011 11:35

Just found my shingles rolling up and losing gravel off surfaces of shingles not sure what to do found receipt and they are the certainteed brand. Can I still get anything done ?

ralph stewart
Aug 23, 2011 6:50

Had roof replaced with 30 year Certain Teed Hallmark shangles on 6-6-00. Had to replace shangles because they were brittle , losing all the gravel and deteriorating BAD on 7-23-11. I have all receipts and three bundles of these Hallmark shangles in original wrapping. Replaced roof with 50 year Certain Teed shingles. Do I qualify for reimbursement for the faulty Certain Teed Hallmark Shangles? THANKS!!!

Dan Cochran
Sep 10, 2011 12:01

I just determined I have these shingles on my roof. Can I join this class action suit?

Jim Mayo
Oct 9, 2011 15:46

Has anyone had any luck with this class action lawsuit getting in this late. I have suffered a huge
loss from these shingles.

Julia Holte
Oct 21, 2011 16:13

We just had a roofer look at our roof and he said it is shot. He told us that these Hallmark shingles have been bad on many roofs he has looked at. Our construction guy did not let us know about this lawsuit, is it to late to join this class action suit?

Steven and Sally Christenson
Apr 30, 2012 10:46

We too would like to join the lawsuit. Installed in 1998 we now have a peak collapsing beneath the shingles.

Shelley Waldorf
Jun 8, 2012 7:55

I would like to join in on the law suit. Installed in1998 or 1999. We now have shingles cupping and the ends are turned up and breaking off. The shingles are Certain Teed brand. Please let me know how this can be done or a phone number I need to call.

Dietra Barton
Jun 23, 2012 15:47

I would like to join this class action law suit if possible. My house was built in 2001 and has CertainTeed Prairie Wood Shingles.

Please contact me asap.

vladas kukoraitis
Jul 22, 2012 19:00

my roof BP, rampart shingles were installed for the first time in May of 2000 yr at a cost of 6975.00.
Second time Sputh side roof shingles were replaced in June of 2011, with aditional cost to us 0over $800.00. and this year we have to replce hal of the roof shingles agai at a cost this time of $3.604.00.In bothe contracts were specified that replacement shingle must be BP shingle only.
It seems to me that this not ended, inseveral years I think we will have to replace the East side of the roof , which shows allready slight deterioration.
Without prejudice,

V. Kukoraitis,P.Eng.

Bob and Anne Armes
Aug 8, 2012 13:08

We had Horizon Shangles installed on our new home in 1997. We have had several leaks repaired. Also, we have replaced shingles after each strong windstorm. The front side roof on our house is stained, as if dirty water was poured on it. (Not from algae.) Really makes for BAD curb appeal in our neighborhood! This week we have had two roofing contractors take a look at our roof for bid purposes. Both have said the roof is in really bad shape and needs to be replaced. We have a pretty good size home, needing 60-65 squares. REPLACEMENT is NOT CHEAP. We thought we were getting a quality shingle, with a 25-30 year guarantee. We are both in our late 70s and thought we had a roof for our lifetime.

Who do we need to contact to join this class action suit?

Would appreciate any information anyone has on this.

THANKS!

Bob and Anne Armes

Greg paterson
Aug 22, 2012 18:57

Steve Heusser is a crook he does not tell the truth.
I am a contractor and buy many products i have never had so many problems untill i dealt with Steve Heusser from the BP toronto site.
Dont try to claim your warranty Steve Heusser will just tell you if you dont like it buy IKO.
I have started buying IKO now but try and tell all my angry customers that Steve Heusser from BP said to bad.
Its really to bad BP used to be a good company untill lately not sure if there is new management but something has changed.

Karen Holmes
Aug 24, 2012 15:10

I had a roof reshingled in November of 2011.And I just found out today that the BP shingles are no good and that I have until September 19 2012 to have a claim in place for these shingles that are no good.Can you help me with my claim..Thank you.

Kate Downer
Aug 27, 2012 7:06

We would also like to join the class action lawsuit against BPO shingles. We installed
25 year rampart shingles in the fall of 2003 and they started to disintegrate visibly about 18 months ago. This is completely unacceptable !!!
Who do we contact?

Mary Triplet
Aug 28, 2012 13:19

I would also like to know how to join this lawsuit.

Melanie Shubat
Aug 29, 2012 20:35

I would also like to know how to join this lawsuit regarding BP Rempart shingles we installed around 2006 and are disinigrating and curling, wondering if theres a number we can call Thank you.

verne walker
Aug 31, 2012 11:14

BP Canada shingles installed 2005, have problems, how can i be involved in class action??

arthur wagoner
Sep 3, 2012 12:14

my house was built in 2002 10 years old and all my shingels are coming up the color was prarie wood from horizon i am wondering it they will reinburst some of the money for repairs

Rick
Jan 7, 2013 13:09

Installed Horizon roof 3 tabs extremely defective 3000.00 square ft would like to participate

Cheryl Wise
Feb 27, 2013 18:36

I bought my house in 1997 brand new. I have bought a few bundles of Prairie Wood shingles to replace leaks on my roof. My husband just thought that it had to do with the people putting it down. I have 2 rotten spots that have been needing help for about a yr but I became paralyzed from my chest down almost 6yrs ago.(had a tumor in my spinal cord). I called Stock Building Company in Raleigh,NC to see if I could buy a bundle or 2. That’s when I found out that they were no longer available. I need shingles to replace the place I have. I have to fix over 4 spots on my house. Starting over 8 or 9 yrs ago. I would like to know am I to late to get in on this class action suit?

alya romeos
Mar 9, 2013 7:13

have BPO organic roof shingles. told by several contractors shingles are failing, curling, disintigrating. how do i join the lawsuit?

Ramesh
Mar 19, 2013 13:53

Has anyone had any luck in sorting this out. I have not heard back.

janice henderson
Mar 26, 2013 8:25

So how can I find out if i can make a claim my roof shingles are falling apart. Bought home new 2000.

Eric E. Hill
Apr 2, 2013 19:04

I have the certainteed shingles installed in 1998 the are curling. What can I do to submit a claim. Should I contact Certainteed representative ?

GARY L. RIPLEY
Apr 11, 2013 23:00

I HAD IN THE PAST REQUESTED INFORMATIOM FOR PAYMENT FOR THE HALLMARK 50 YEAR SHAKE TYPE SHINGLE FOR WHICH I THOUGH I WAS PAYING FOR THE BEST OF THE BEST YET WHEN I REQUSTED A CLAIM FORM DIRECTLY FROM CERTAINTEED RECIEVED NO RESPONSE WHY? THERE IS A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AND I WANT MY INVESTMENT REPLACED! NOW ! I WOULD LIKE TO SELL MY HOME BUT THE SHINGLES ARE A PROBLEM AND A VERY COSTLY REPLACEMENT EXPENSE ! WHAT SAY YOU CUSTOMERS LIKE MYSELF ? AS WELL AS OTHER LEAKS AND MAINTENANCES SUCH AS OVER LOAD OF STONES IN THE EVES, AND THE CURLING OF THE SHAKE IS JUST OUT -RIGHT PITTIFUL LOOKING ! I WANT A PORTION OF THIS CLASS-ACTION LAW SUIT TO PAY FOR LABOR AND NEW MATIERIALS FOR MY ROOF AS WELL AS OTHER PROBLEMS THAT HAVE DAMAGED MY HOME OVER THE YEARS ! FOR INSTANTS OVER WEIGHT OF STONE DEPRIE OF THE EVES THAT IN TURN PULLED THE NAILS OUT PREMATURLY OVER FLOWING THE EVES AND DAMAGING MY FOUNDATION ! NEED I SAY MORE ! I WANT TO BE HEARD AND WANT TO HERE FROM THE COMPANY NAMED CERTIANTEED ! I WILL NOT STAND BY ANYLONGER PERIOD ! TO WHOM IT MAYCONCERN ; GARY L. RIPLEY DEWITT MICHIGAN !

GARY L. RIPLEY
Apr 11, 2013 23:33

OH GARY L.RIPEY AGAIN I HAD FORGOTTEN TO MENTION THAT AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE I HAD PAID FOR FIVE YES 5 BUNDLES PER SQUARE $ 65.00 IN 1993 WHICH IS WHAT TODAY MAYBE $ 125 .00 PLUS THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN PROGRESSING FOR YEARS AND CERTAINTEED KNEW ABOUT IT ,YET DO YOU THING THEY WOULD LET YOU KNOW ABOUT THE CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST THE WARRANTY ! AS WELL THAT I HAVE BEEN INQUIRING ABOUT THE DEFECT/ WARRANTY? GET WITH ME REPRESENTATIVE A.S.A.P.! YOU KNOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IT IS REQUIRED UNDER THE LEAVE A REPLY ! GARY L, RIPLEY DEWITT , MICHIGAN ! NEED AND WANT MY ROOF REPLACED COME AND LOOK AT IT IF IT WAS YOURS AND YOU PAID FOR THE BEST OF THE BEST 50 YEAR WARRANTY ! WHAT SAY YOU ? CONTACT ME OR THERE WILL BE MORE COMMENTS ON THIS PAGE ! I WILL GIVE YOU THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT ? THANX GARY

GARY L. RIPLEY
Apr 12, 2013 0:00

GARY L RIPLEY AGAIN SEND ME THE DARN CLAIM FORM THERE IS $ 600,000.000 YES MILLION IN THIS SETTLEMENT LETS GET IT DONE FOR ALL THE GOOD PEOPLE THAT INTERESTED IN CERTAINTEED FOR THE PRODUCT THAT YOUR COMPANY PUT OUT THERE IN THE MARKET IN TRUST THAT WE ALL WERE GETTING WHAT WE PAID FOR WHAT IF IT WERE YOUR HOME NO NOT JUST A HOUSE BUT A HOME ! PLEASE RIGHT A WRONG PLEASE IN THE NAME OF GOD BE RESPONSIBLE ! AND RESPOND ! THANX GARY DEWITT .

Cindy Blair
May 21, 2013 8:09

I am shocked to see what I am reading – but not surprised. I installed Certainteed Horizon Prairie Wood shingles on my roof in 1990 – a 25 year shingle. It’s been curling for years. Now it is awful, I had no idea there was a known problem with this as I have called the Salesman in the past and was never told.

Please let me know what to do from here.

Daphne Penrose
Jun 23, 2013 20:39

We have Certaineed New Horizon shingles that have failed. House is only 11 years old. Is it still possible to join the class action suit or claim any sort of settlement? How do we proceed if it’s possible to still join the class action suit? Thank you for any information you can provide.

franklin williams
Jun 28, 2013 9:15

were do we contact for claim for new horizon shingles

ASHLEY
Jul 10, 2013 7:13

I purhcased my house in 2011 from the original owner and am having bad interior damage due to the shingles that were put on the house in 2001 when the house was built. I was notified yesterday by a restoration company that my shingles are discontinued and therefore I need a new roof. Is there any kind of settlement I can file or am I too late?

Todd Witte
Oct 2, 2013 12:18

I have horizon greystone shingles ands they are awful. They have been on since 1998 and are awful. I am loosing all the grit and curling. Several contractors have suggested to file a lawsuit against certanteed. How do I go about this or is there anything I can do.

James Jones
Apr 25, 2014 12:24

I too have CertainTeed Prairiewood roofing shangles on my home installed in 2001. Until I researched where to purchase replacement shingles to repair leaks, I knew nothing about the class action lawsuit against CertainTeed. I have a huge area of rot in a valley due to bad shingles and will now need to re-roof my entire house for want of shingles no longer available. Where and how can I be included in this lawsuit?

If that is not possible because of lack of notification, can I file a separate lawsuit for the damages I incurred? I’m not sure how Class Action Suits work and did not opt out. Therefore I must have been “IN”.
Can someone give me a clue?

Wayne Leise
Jul 15, 2014 15:54

I have Certainteed Independence Shangle Shingles on my house. They were supposed to last 35 Years. 21 years later they are shot. Can I still be part of class action lawsuit?

Jean Marie Nelson
Jul 24, 2014 12:34

My home attached garage and another small garage all had the shingles put on professionally Nov 2005
Sad to say showing wear and leakage on my home.
Jean Marie Nelson 7-24-2014

Debra Ennis
Sep 3, 2014 22:28

I have major water damage from them defective shingles. Ceiling is falling in. They need to stand behind their shit product