The Consumer Corner - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, March 2, 2010 15:05 - 39 Comments
A federal judge in Philadelphia has granted preliminary approval of a class-action settlement possibly worth as much as $600 million to resolve up to tens of thousands of claims over allegedly faulty organic roofing shingles manufactured by Valley Forge-based CertainTeed Corp. The final amount of the settlement will depend on the number of claims for damages actually filed. CertainTeed sold the organic shingles under a dozen brand names, including Hallmark Shangle, Independence Shangle, Horizon Shangle, and Hearthstead, all of which were discontinued “several years ago,” according to the company. With more than 65 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada, CertainTeed had more than $3 billion in sales in 2008.
The settlement is being hailed as a victory for wronged consumers. Persons who own or have owned buildings affected by the allegedly defective shingles – installed since July 1987 – will receive between $34 and $74 per square. In roofing terms, a square is 100 square feet. The shingles were composed of organic felt, which was made from recycled paper, cardboard, and wood.
It was reported that CertainTeed shingles, subject to the settlement, would develop cracks three or four years after installation, which could allow water ultimately to penetrate the roof and cause damage to walls and ceilings. Most of the roofing world has since transitioned to fiberglass shingles, which CertainTeed also makes. U.S. District Judge Louis H. Pollak has scheduled a final hearing on the matter for June 8th. It would settle litigation that started in 2007 and involves Plaintiffs in 18 states. Halunen & Associates, a Minneapolis law firm, represents Plaintiffs in the class-action lawsuit.
Leave a Reply
- The Role of a Trial Lawyer
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Sandy Hook Families File Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- GM Recalls Vehicles For Headlight Problem
- Daiichi Sankyo Agrees to Pay $39 Million to Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit
- District Court Sanctions Ghostwriting Of Expert Reports
- IIHS List Of Safest Cars Grows Amid Record Recalls In The U.S.
- NHTSA Needs Adequate Resources To Do Its Job
- Former NHTSA Employees Join Takata Air Bag Defect Panel
- BMW Will Replace Airbags Nationwide
- GM Recalls 83,000 SUVs And Trucks For Faulty Ignitions
- GM Gets 108 More Claims For Defective Ignition Switch Compensation
- Koch Brothers Set $889 Million Budget For Lead-Up To 2016
- Whistleblower Wins Supreme Court Ruling
- Pfizer Pays $400 Million To End Shareholder Suit
- Study Author Says Autism Risk Linked To Chemicals
- Multi-State Dog Fighting Ring Ordered To Pay $2 Million Restitution
- i don' know where is the form to fill up
- do i need to fill up the form
claim UJT-10073675001 Johnson vs USCB...
- sending this in hope for that you receive this and respond . Do I need to fill o...
- I recently saw an episode of BAR on WSFA regarding trying to get the legislature...
- I have a 2004 F150 Lariat crew cab. Driving home from work in 2011 (cold weather...
- In 2005 August 12th my husband commited suicide after being on Lexapro. I notice...
- Anthony Franco, the last part of your paragraph is absolutely not true, the new ...
- I have been searching for something like this ... I have worked 50 to 65 hours p...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Feb 9, 2015 14:42 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- Recalls Of Cars Abroad Prompt No Urgency In United States
- FHWA Opens Website For Public Reporting Of Guardrail Flaws
- Lawyers In Our Firm Settle Industrial Machine Design Case
- Aging and Dangerous Tires On Our School Buses
- Toyota Ordered to Pay $11 Million in U.S. Trial Over Fatal Sudden Unintended Acceleration Crash
Recalls Update - Feb 9, 2015 9:36 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Johnson Health Tech Recalls Matrix Fitness Strength Training Machines
- Cleaner And Degreaser Recalled For Chemical Hazard
- NPD Furniture Recalls Dining Chairs Due To Fall Hazard
- Children’s Pajamas Recalled By Star Ride Kids
- CoScentrix Expands Recall Of DD Brand Candles