The Consumer Corner - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, March 2, 2010 15:05 - 38 Comments
A federal judge in Philadelphia has granted preliminary approval of a class-action settlement possibly worth as much as $600 million to resolve up to tens of thousands of claims over allegedly faulty organic roofing shingles manufactured by Valley Forge-based CertainTeed Corp. The final amount of the settlement will depend on the number of claims for damages actually filed. CertainTeed sold the organic shingles under a dozen brand names, including Hallmark Shangle, Independence Shangle, Horizon Shangle, and Hearthstead, all of which were discontinued “several years ago,” according to the company. With more than 65 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada, CertainTeed had more than $3 billion in sales in 2008.
The settlement is being hailed as a victory for wronged consumers. Persons who own or have owned buildings affected by the allegedly defective shingles – installed since July 1987 – will receive between $34 and $74 per square. In roofing terms, a square is 100 square feet. The shingles were composed of organic felt, which was made from recycled paper, cardboard, and wood.
It was reported that CertainTeed shingles, subject to the settlement, would develop cracks three or four years after installation, which could allow water ultimately to penetrate the roof and cause damage to walls and ceilings. Most of the roofing world has since transitioned to fiberglass shingles, which CertainTeed also makes. U.S. District Judge Louis H. Pollak has scheduled a final hearing on the matter for June 8th. It would settle litigation that started in 2007 and involves Plaintiffs in 18 states. Halunen & Associates, a Minneapolis law firm, represents Plaintiffs in the class-action lawsuit.
Leave a Reply
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Travis Grant Story Is A Good One
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Pollution Plagues The Water In Alabama
- New York Appeals Court Decisions May Impact Fracking Nationwide
- The Prices Of Generic Drugs Are Going Up
- John Hopkins Settles Pelvic Exam Lawsuits For $190 Million
- An Update On Boating Accidents
- There Were 10 Deaths And 123 Injured During 4th Of July Travel Period In Alabama
- Tracy Morgan Files Suit Against Wal-Mart
- OSHA Issues Safety Violations To Bridge Company
- Investigators Say Overloaded Storage Bins Caused Building Collapse
- Jury Returns $15 Million Verdict Against The Los Angeles Dodgers
- Safeguards Needed To Protect The Public Against Predatory Lenders
- Both my front window regulators crapped out on my 2004 f150 back in 2007. Haven...
- I would like to join this lawsuit, I was a manager for 3+ years. I worked many ...
- I was a store manager at a Dollar General in Jackson, GA. I worked an average o...
- I just confirmed these tires are on my 1999 Damon Intruder 35' RV.
- August 18th they go before the courts to get the settlement amount approved. The...
- CALL ASAP JEANNE Wright at 904 -514- 2572...
- Need more info. On cardinal health driver lawsiut!...
- Same here I'm one of the 1% recall and I never got a letter
And they tried to...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Aug 1, 2014 14:22 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- NHTSA Finally Issues A Rear Underride Standard
- Dangers Associated With Portable Bed Handles
- A Danger in Your Home Is Hiding In Plain Sight
- Joan Claybrook Recalls Important Product Safety Issues She Dealt With As Head Of NHTSA
- GM Stops Sales Of Some Cadillacs Over Ignition Issue
Recalls Update - Aug 1, 2014 12:23 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Unique Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. Recalls All Sterile Compounded Preparations Within Their Expire Period
- Dream On Me Recalls High Chairs Due To Strangulation And Fall Hazards
- Oeuf Recalls To Repair Cribs Due To Entrapment Hazard
- Fiberglass Boom May Conduct Electricity
- Porter-Cable Fixed-Base Production Routers Recalled Due To Electrical Shock Hazard