Business - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, March 2, 2010 12:36 - 92 Comments
Outback Steakhouse has agreed to pay $19 million to settle a sex-discrimination lawsuit filed by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on behalf of female employees at the restaurant chain. Outback is owned by private-equity investor Bain Capital LLC. It was alleged by the EEOC that Outback, with 950 restaurants worldwide, discriminated against its female workers by denying them equal opportunities to advance. Women “hit a glass ceiling” and couldn’t get promoted to management positions that offered profit-sharing, according to the EEOC.
The EEOC filed the suit in 2006 in federal court in Denver. Judge Christine Arguello has approved the settlement. Outback agreed to start an online application system for employees interested in managerial jobs and hire a vice president of people, a new position. An outside consultant is to monitor compliance. The women alleged they were denied promotions to lucrative managing-partner positions because of their gender.
The settlement is the largest ever for a case handled by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s district office, which covers Colorado and four other states, according to Rita Byrnes Kittle, a senior trial lawyer for the agency in Denver. She had this to say: “The EEOC brokered this far-reaching and comprehensive settlement in the public interest to foster a discrimination-free workplace at Outback.” More than 20,000 current and former female employees at Outback restaurants nationwide could be eligible for awards of up to $100,000 as part of the class. To qualify, employees need at least three years’ tenure with Outback from 2002 to the present. The amount of the award is based on an employee’s experience, position and claims. A claims administrator will send letters to those who may be eligible.
Leave a Reply
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- Favorite Bible Verses
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- J&J Pays Oregon $4 Million To Settle Hip Implant Marketing Claims
- EPA Should Update Fracking Pollution Regulations
- Deepwater Fracking Raises Environmental Concerns
- $27.8 Million Settlement Finalized In TVA Coal Ash Spill
- Illinois Transport Company Settles Fatal Crash Suit For $2.7 Million
- Settlement For Family Of College Student Killed In Crash After Alabama National Championship Game
- Macy’s Fined $1 Million For Decapitation Of Warehouse Employee
- Texas Plastics Plant Fined $174,000 For Safety And Health Violations
- OSHA Says Safety Violation Continue At Oklahoma Oil Refinery
- Company Cited In Fatal West Virginia Cell Tower Collapse
- New Safety Directive Issued By OSHA On Communication Tower Work
- $27 Million Verdict Returned In Texas Against McDonald’s
- I have a 2005 Ford F150 crew cab. This is the third window in which window regul...
- These tires are on my 2000 Georgie Boy motorhome and have 23,000 miles on them. ...
- Attn: Art Jackson We are opposed to the hog farm being constructed on ...
- I would like to join the class action lawsuit against the Ford Motor Company reg...
- Glad to be getting closure I go into dollar general and spend 10 dollars every o...
- Was just wondering if you can still be in this lawsuit. I was a manager for 8 yr...
- I keep reading that the pratice of steering is illegal and whole-heartidly suppo...
- Hello William, thank you for your question. We are not aware of any pending liti...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Sep 4, 2014 13:13 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- More Problems With Goodyear RV Tires
- NHTSA Offers Online Vehicle Recall Check
- Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Mazda For Engine Valve Defect
- GM Sued For Alleged Antifreeze Defect In Chevy Cruze Models
- Settlement By Kia And Hyundai In Fuel Efficiency MDL Is Approved
Recalls Update - Sep 4, 2014 11:03 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- USDA Recalls 7.5 Tons Of Applegate Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- J&J Unit Recalls Hysterectomy Device Over Cancer Fears
- Samson International Recalls Bar Stool Due To Fall Hazard
- Bexco Recalls Franklin & Ben Mason 4-in-1 Convertible Cribs Due To Fall And Entrapment Hazards
- Ace Bayou Bean Bag Chairs Recalled Because Of Suffocation And Choking Hazards