Business - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, March 2, 2010 12:36 - 92 Comments
Outback Steakhouse has agreed to pay $19 million to settle a sex-discrimination lawsuit filed by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on behalf of female employees at the restaurant chain. Outback is owned by private-equity investor Bain Capital LLC. It was alleged by the EEOC that Outback, with 950 restaurants worldwide, discriminated against its female workers by denying them equal opportunities to advance. Women “hit a glass ceiling” and couldn’t get promoted to management positions that offered profit-sharing, according to the EEOC.
The EEOC filed the suit in 2006 in federal court in Denver. Judge Christine Arguello has approved the settlement. Outback agreed to start an online application system for employees interested in managerial jobs and hire a vice president of people, a new position. An outside consultant is to monitor compliance. The women alleged they were denied promotions to lucrative managing-partner positions because of their gender.
The settlement is the largest ever for a case handled by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s district office, which covers Colorado and four other states, according to Rita Byrnes Kittle, a senior trial lawyer for the agency in Denver. She had this to say: “The EEOC brokered this far-reaching and comprehensive settlement in the public interest to foster a discrimination-free workplace at Outback.” More than 20,000 current and former female employees at Outback restaurants nationwide could be eligible for awards of up to $100,000 as part of the class. To qualify, employees need at least three years’ tenure with Outback from 2002 to the present. The amount of the award is based on an employee’s experience, position and claims. A claims administrator will send letters to those who may be eligible.
Leave a Reply
- Testosterone Multidistrict Litigation Has Been Formed
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Exploding Airbags is the Next Hidden Danger Lurking on the Horizon
- An Update on the Firm's Mass Torts Litigation
- The Travis Grant Story Is A Good One
- The Civil Justice System Does Make a Difference
- BP's Stay Request Fails Before the Supreme Court
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Eight Car Makers Join in the Recall of Exploding Airbags
- The Deepwater Horizon Claims Program is Up and Running Again
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Pollution Plagues The Water In Alabama
- New York Appeals Court Decisions May Impact Fracking Nationwide
- The Prices Of Generic Drugs Are Going Up
- John Hopkins Settles Pelvic Exam Lawsuits For $190 Million
- An Update On Boating Accidents
- There Were 10 Deaths And 123 Injured During 4th Of July Travel Period In Alabama
- Tracy Morgan Files Suit Against Wal-Mart
- OSHA Issues Safety Violations To Bridge Company
- Investigators Say Overloaded Storage Bins Caused Building Collapse
- Jury Returns $15 Million Verdict Against The Los Angeles Dodgers
- Safeguards Needed To Protect The Public Against Predatory Lenders
- Just in case Ford ever steps up, I'm chiming in. Original Owner 2004 F150 SCrew...
- August 26, 2014 - my wife has received an August GM recall notice on her 2002 mo...
- Thanks, Tiffany Lindsay keep me posted...
- To the lawyer of this firm, something similar happen to me today while traveling...
- Ford sucks! for not recalling this issue... I am on my second replacement.
- Both my front window regulators crapped out on my 2004 f150 back in 2007. Haven...
- I would like to join this lawsuit, I was a manager for 3+ years. I worked many ...
- I was a store manager at a Dollar General in Jackson, GA. I worked an average o...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Aug 1, 2014 14:22 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- NHTSA Finally Issues A Rear Underride Standard
- Dangers Associated With Portable Bed Handles
- A Danger in Your Home Is Hiding In Plain Sight
- Joan Claybrook Recalls Important Product Safety Issues She Dealt With As Head Of NHTSA
- GM Stops Sales Of Some Cadillacs Over Ignition Issue
Recalls Update - Aug 1, 2014 12:23 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Unique Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. Recalls All Sterile Compounded Preparations Within Their Expire Period
- Dream On Me Recalls High Chairs Due To Strangulation And Fall Hazards
- Oeuf Recalls To Repair Cribs Due To Entrapment Hazard
- Fiberglass Boom May Conduct Electricity
- Porter-Cable Fixed-Base Production Routers Recalled Due To Electrical Shock Hazard