Business - Written by Beasley Allen on Tuesday, March 2, 2010 12:36 - 92 Comments
Outback Steakhouse has agreed to pay $19 million to settle a sex-discrimination lawsuit filed by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on behalf of female employees at the restaurant chain. Outback is owned by private-equity investor Bain Capital LLC. It was alleged by the EEOC that Outback, with 950 restaurants worldwide, discriminated against its female workers by denying them equal opportunities to advance. Women “hit a glass ceiling” and couldn’t get promoted to management positions that offered profit-sharing, according to the EEOC.
The EEOC filed the suit in 2006 in federal court in Denver. Judge Christine Arguello has approved the settlement. Outback agreed to start an online application system for employees interested in managerial jobs and hire a vice president of people, a new position. An outside consultant is to monitor compliance. The women alleged they were denied promotions to lucrative managing-partner positions because of their gender.
The settlement is the largest ever for a case handled by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s district office, which covers Colorado and four other states, according to Rita Byrnes Kittle, a senior trial lawyer for the agency in Denver. She had this to say: “The EEOC brokered this far-reaching and comprehensive settlement in the public interest to foster a discrimination-free workplace at Outback.” More than 20,000 current and former female employees at Outback restaurants nationwide could be eligible for awards of up to $100,000 as part of the class. To qualify, employees need at least three years’ tenure with Outback from 2002 to the present. The amount of the award is based on an employee’s experience, position and claims. A claims administrator will send letters to those who may be eligible.
Leave a Reply
- We Should Not Be Surprised By How Low BP Will Go To Get Its Way
- An Update on the ASR Hip Litigation
- 2013 Was a Banner Year for Whistleblower Cases
- Favorite Bible Verses
- Jere Beasley Report, February 2014
- An Update on the Actos Trial
- Five AndroGel Lawsuits Filed Against Abbott
- Efforts Underway to Enact Uniform Data Security Law
- Kentucky Addiction Clinic Settles False Claims Act Allegations for $15.75 Million
- GM Knew Of Cobalt Ignition Problem
- BP Oil Spill Medical Settlement Moves Forward
- Parting Words
- Monthly Reminders
- A Message From Dr. Sidney M. Wolfe For The American People
- Museum Of Alabama Has Its Grand Opening
- A Big Win In Daytona
- Crazy sad to think this could have been prevented with a simple Fence or panel. ...
- Please check out our GM Recall Survivors page on Facebook....
- the machine was not the cause . th cause is the consumer not reading the manual ...
- ... Sorry, TYPO! 'NOW," as of March 4, 2014, I am not hearing a knocking undern...
- I purchased a 2010 HHR in September of 2011 in order to transport my elderly par...
- KEITH COOK THESE NEW CARS DON'T HAVE POWER STEERING FLUID ITS DONE BY COMPUTER...
- YES i OWN A 2009 HHR YES THE KEY GOT STUCK THEY SAID IT WAS A BATTER IN THE K...
- I just got a call from my wife and our 2007 HHR has had the "Power Steering" pro...
Recent Settlements - Feb 9, 2012 7:09 - 0 Comments
More In Recent Settlements
- A Further Update On The AWP Litigation
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Fort McClellan Radio Tower Collapse Case
- Firm Reaches Settlement In Sikorsky Helicopter Crash
- The Philadelphia Story
- St. Croix, Virgin Islands Settlement
Product Liability - Mar 5, 2014 9:02 - 0 Comments
More In Product Liability
- Seatbelts For Buses Have Been Recommended For Decades
- Aggressive Airbag Inflation Can Cause Injury And Death
- If You Want To Update Your Car – There Will Be An App For That!
- Electronic Power Steering Failures In Toyota Cars
- Final Order Issued In $1.15 Billion California Lead Paint Case
Recalls Update - Mar 5, 2014 11:07 - 0 Comments
More In Recalls Update
- Company Recalls 8.7 Million Pounds Of Meat
- Runway Global Recalls Girls’ Sugarfly Hooded Jackets
- Lion Force Recalls Boys’ Puffer Coats Due To Strangulation Hazard
- BebeLove Recalls Baby Walkers Due To Fall And Entrapment Hazards
- Agila Specialties Private Limited Recalls 10 Lots Of Etomidate Injection 2 mg/mL – 10 mL And 20 mL