The family of a child in New York, who was killed in an MRI chamber, has settled its lawsuit for $2.9 million. Michael Colombini, who was six years old, was killed in 2001 at the Westchester Medical Center when an oxygen tank flew into the chamber, drawn in by the MRI’s 10-ton electromagnet. As previously reported, most metal items are banned from MRI rooms. In this case, the tank was inadvertently carried into the MRI room by a staffer. That mistake resulted in the tragic death of the child. The case was pending in a New York state court at the time it was settled.
We wrote about the dangers and risks related to MRI chambers in a previous issue of the Report. The family now feels they have received some justice even though it took some nine years to get there. The New York State Health Department fined the hospital $22,000 over the incident. Matt Gaier, a New York lawyer, represented the family and did a good job.
Source: Associated Press
Contact us today for a free legal consultation with an experienced attorney.
Fields marked *may be required for submission.
If you would like to subscribe to the Jere Beasley Report digital edition, simply visit our Subscriptions page and provide the necessary information or call us at 800-898-2034.
Attorney Advertising - Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.