Hopefully, the Halloween weekend passed with no serious problems from a health and safety perspective. While many parents worried about candy and strangers at Halloween, they really should be aware of something else – flammable costumes. An incident in Jacksonville, Florida, got a great deal of attention. A mother there said her son has burns all over his body after his costume caught fire. The boy’s mother purchased the costume at a Wal-Mart, not realizing the outfit would catch fire easily. As it turns out, most Halloween costumes have the same flammability standards as a piece of newspaper. Firefighters have demonstrated how a costume can go up in flames in a matter of seconds.
Most costumes sold in stores are made in China with fabric that is flammable and hazardous. The four-year-old Florida boy accidentally lit himself on fire while wearing his Halloween costume last year. The fabric was not flame-resistant, and nearly 40% of his body was burned. The costume, which was made by Disguise Inc. and sold at Wal-Mart, had no warning label.
The child’s mother filed suit and she wants tougher regulations making each and every costume flame-resistant. Parents should look for labels stating that costumes are made from flame-resistant fabric or flame-retardant materials. This is a matter of safety. The costumes should be made out of flame-resistant materials.
Contact us today for a free legal consultation with an experienced attorney.
Fields marked *may be required for submission.
If you would like to subscribe to the Jere Beasley Report digital edition, simply visit our Subscriptions page and provide the necessary information or call us at 800-898-2034.
Attorney Advertising - Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.