An appeals court has upheld a $3.2 million award to a woman who suffered permanent nerve damage after eating tainted sushi. Alexis Sarti was awarded the money from a jury more than two years ago, but the trial judge in her case overturned the award. On appeal, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed that decision. Ms. Sarti became ill after eating raw ahi tuna at a local cafÃ© in Dana Point, CA in April 2005. Her lawsuit contended that the tuna was contaminated by bacteria from raw poultry.
It was proved at trial that Ms. Sarti was temporarily paralyzed, spent 49 days in the hospital and afterward lost much of her endurance. She used a walker for eight months, often had to use a wheelchair and had to drop out of college for 18 months to undergo treatment and therapy. She continues to have muscle spasms and cramps almost daily. Ms. Sarti’s medical bills totaled about $1 million and her future expenses will be about $1 million.
Source: Associated Press
Contact us today for a free legal consultation with an experienced attorney.
Fields marked *may be required for submission.
If you would like to subscribe to the Jere Beasley Report digital edition, simply visit our Subscriptions page and provide the necessary information or call us at 800-898-2034.
Attorney Advertising - Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.