Employees who work around asbestos bring home the fibers on their clothes. This is what happened to 50-year-old Mark Buttitta. For years, his father brought home the deadly fibers on his clothes from working as a parts picker at GM warehouses. Mr. Buttitta handled the clutches and brakes that were made with asbestos, causing the fibers to attach to his work clothes. In addition to the years of his father bringing home the fibers on his clothes, Mark and his brother worked summers during their college years at the GM warehouse. The Buttittas would wear the same work clothes for days at a time, which meant the cancer-causing fibers would accumulate and settle through the home. What is even worse is the fact that Mark would sit on his father’s lap when his father got home from work, not knowing that the harmful fibers were on his dad’s clothes.
Asbestos may not have an immediate effect on those exposed to it, but over time it can cause complications. This is what happened to Mark Buttitta who was a rising star in the advertising world. He had managed to acquire advertising clients such as Northwest and Continental Airlines, Coca-Cola, and various other large clients. But his life was cut short just days before his 50th birthday. Mark Buttitta had graduated from college, was married, and had three daughters. He was holding the position as vice president of MediaVest when in 2001 he received the diagnosis that said he had Mesothelioma. It was just a year later when he died. After Mark’s death, his family had created the Mark Buttitta Memorial Foundation. The foundation is geared toward finding ways to prevent, treat, and cure Mesothelioma. Many of the victims are employed in construction businesses and automotive manufacturing companies, but Mark was neither of these. What his case shows is that someone doesn’t necessarily have to work in an occupation that exposes them to asbestos that causes them to develop Mesothelioma. All it takes is repeated exposure unknowingly and death can occur.
As a result of Mark Buttitta’s death, his wife and his three daughters will receive what is believed to be the largest verdict in a Mesothelioma lawsuit in New Jersey. The amount of the verdict is $30.3 million. What his case is showing is that anyone can be exposed to harmful asbestos and develop Mesothelioma without ever knowing that the exposure occurred. Hopefully, this awareness will help save more lives. Our firm is also handling a number of Mesothelomia cases. Mike Andrews is the lead lawyer on these cases. You can contact him at 800-898-2034 or by email at Mike.Andrews@beasleyallen.com.
Contact us today for a free legal consultation with an experienced attorney.
Fields marked *may be required for submission.
If you would like to subscribe to the Jere Beasley Report digital edition, simply visit our Subscriptions page and provide the necessary information or call us at 800-898-2034.
Attorney Advertising - Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.